• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The snack you just cannot put down

JimH

I have to add another that snuck up on me last night.

Ruffles Authentic Barbecue potato chips with large curd cottage cheese.

It has to be the large curd cottage cheese as the regular stuff does not have exactly the same flavor.

It is scary how quickly these things can be consumed without one actually being aware how MUCH is passing the lips. (And ultimately becoming a permanent resident on the hips!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Clam Dip (homemade) with Kettle Chips or any kind of chips, I guess. If I have chips and no dip, they usually get thrown out. I can't eat any kind of cracker or chip without a half-inch of gooeyness on it...too dry.

Chocolate Candy. Even being diabetic, I can't stretch a one lb. box for more than 3 days. Can't remember the last time I had a box around.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Freindship brand Full Fat ( aka "High Test") cottage cheese, usually with a dollop of fruit sweetened preserves (blackberry is a fav.) Usually now get Smuckers; a very nice true fruit flavor.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm another person who can't stop when it comes to pistachios.

But most of all, the snack I absolutely cannot eat in moderation is

Dried Mangoes.

Not the dried husks you get in healthfood shops, the plump sugary ones from the Philippines. Oh, those are so good! My downfall is that a convenience store a few doors away from me has just opened up their basement and stuffed it with lots of Thai-friendly goods, including one of my favourite brands of dried mango. Instead of having to go to the centre of London to find them, there's a place selling them even more cheaply nearby (I use cheap loosely - they're 1.30GBP - $2.50 a bag)

MOGa - they're a favorite of koreans too, dried mangoes from the Philippines. I usually bring a cartonfull back when I go on vacation in the Philippines. Hubby's co-workers and boss demand their share of dried mangoes, not to mention my friends too. Be careful not to eat too much though, you know what they say about getting too much fiber. ;)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

MOGa - they're a favorite of koreans too, dried mangoes from the Philippines. I usually bring a cartonfull back when I go on vacation in the Philippines. Hubby's co-workers and boss demand their share of dried mangoes, not to mention my friends too. Be careful not to eat too much though, you know what they say about getting too much fiber. ;)

With my current finances, that's hardly likely. My Japanese husband also adores them so we literally fight over the slices. We did spend a Christmas near Toronto once and unexpectedly found a jumbo 30oz (approx 0.9kilo) bag of them in the small town of Minden, I managed to force some restraint on ourselves so that they lasted a full 4 days, but yes, I can testify that you have a very good point there...

(I'm going out to get some more - I'll post the address in a moment

Mabethay Me Minimart, 21 Chalk Farm Road - opposite the Camden 'Stables', London

Brand is Young's - which isn't quite as good as 7D but is still one of the better kinds... not too fibrous)

Mmmmm....

Edited by MoGa (log)

Oh Gawd.......gimme a bag of chicharrones (fried pig skin) with some limes and chile powder...and a cold Modelo especial......

But I can also manage to chow down on cheeto's and cheez-its.

On the healthier side...A bowl of freshly popped pop corn....and not those hideious micro wave products. I mean REAL popcorn popped in the traditional fashion. lightly salted.....maybe a spritz of real butter :wacko:

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

You said it HummingbirdK, load it up with butter! Popcorn that is :biggrin:

I hear you about chicharones. In the Philippines we call pork rinds, chicharon. You buy them fresh from Lapid's and then you hug the warm bag close to you, smelling all the salty, porky goodness and then go crazy in the car. I love it dipped in rice vinegar with some chopped bird chilis and onion..

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Oh Gawd.......gimme a bag of chicharrones (fried pig skin) with some limes and chile powder...and a cold Modelo especial......

But I can also manage to chow down on cheeto's and cheez-its.

On the healthier side...A bowl of freshly popped pop corn....and not those hideious micro wave products. I mean REAL popcorn popped in the traditional fashion. lightly salted.....maybe a spritz of real butter  :wacko:

OK, so how do you spritz real butter? I have scars up and down my right arm from working an old fashioned popcorn popper when I was a kid working in a fabled amusement park (spits of hot oil, don'tcha know), and I never did figure out how to do that! :laugh:

I stand by my spritzing of butter on my popcorn..if Hummingbirdkiss wants to have a muffin top...well she may have to change her nick to Orcakiss..... :wink:

Edited by chefsteban (log)

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Add another vote for Cheese-Its! 

I rarely buy them, but last week a box "fell" into my cart . . . Fortunately, it turns out my two kittens are also Cheese-Its fans, so technically I did not eat the whole box myself.  :raz:

Every Christmas I make the original Chex party mix for my family which includes Cheez-Its. My niece would always search through the mix for the Cheez-Its and eat every one of them. So one year I bought the large box of Cheez-Its from Costco and mixed them with the butter-seasoning mixture from the Chex Party Mix and baked it for the same amount of time as the Chex Mix.

When I gave her the Cheez-Its she went beserk, to put it kindly. It's my yearly tradition for her now.

I do the same thing with the vat 'o' cashews you can buy at Costco for her mother. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Cheetos, the puffy kind, are fake cheese crack for me. Cheese flavoured Pringles are a very close second. I've been very good lately...haven't bought either in months.

I just found soy and wasabi almonds at WalMart. Bad mistake.

Oreos, Cheetohs (alternating between the puffy kind and the crunchy kind), almond M&M's (luckily I can't find those very often), fresh cherries, avocadoes.

My name is Sparrow and I have a snack problem.

sparrowgrass

I stand by my spritzing of butter on my popcorn..if Hummingbirdkiss wants to have a muffin top...well she may have to change her nick to Orcakiss..... :wink:

Silly Chef lucky you are out of my reach! ...no muffin tops for me!!! but the butter is the reason I eat popcorn at all it is just a vehicle to get it to my mouth! :raz:

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Popcorn, Indiana's Summertime Bar-be-que Popcorn. The whole bag. bag.gif

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Liquorice Allsorts (especially the Bassett's brand). Open the bag, and before you know it, they're all gone, except for the awful chocolate ones.

I find dried figs to act the same way.

I no longer buy either, needless to say!

Liquorice Allsorts (especially the Bassett's brand).  Open the bag, and before you know it, they're all gone, except for the awful chocolate ones.

I find dried figs to act the same way.

I no longer buy either, needless to say!

LOVE the chocolate, HATE the ones with the blue sprinkles...

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack, but it's a snack to me, so...

The other night I made homemade sausage rolls, intending to bake them off, then save them for snacks at work. Fresh out of the oven they smelled soooooo good, I just had to have one...two...three...

I did manage to save 6 for the next day, but they were gone by the time I left for work (7am)!