• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The snack you just cannot put down

JimH

Doritos and cheetos are my worst downfalls... Once I start, its all over.

Also high on the "no self restraint" list, but on the sweet side, are the Famous Chocolate Wafers... SO GOOD! So crispy and chocolately! Can't stop!

I'm all for the white cheddar popcorn. I have to only buy it once or twice a year, or I eat a whole bag. Also, it's good that wasabi peas only come in small cans around here, or I'd be eating them all day.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Fresh roasted peanuts in the shell. One more, just one more, oh well better eat them while they are fresh, and then the bag is empty.

I also have a strange relationship with puffed corn that is not stale. It is a constant back and forth to the pantry with a handful of corn, a bit of swiss cheese, and a bite of pickled pepper.

Have any of you tried Dove's Unconditional Chocolate Ice Cream? It has a layer of ganache on top and lots of bits of crisp chocolate throughout. I've had two pints in the last week. I can't go down the ice cream aisle anymore.

And, with baseball season upon us, Hostess Baseballs. They're seasonal. If they came in packs of a dozen, instead of just two, I could polish off all twelve. I've yet to have a pack yet this year...in fact, I haven't seen them anywhere. Could they, would they, dare think of discontinuing them? I shiver at the thought.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I'm also very bad around jars of good dill pickles--even though I know my ankles will be like dirigibles the next day.

Mmm, pickles. Although, for me it's specifically good half-sours. When I used to take violin lessons in high school in Brooklyn, we'd stop by a Russian market that only sold smoked, dried, or cured fish. We'd get a container of half-sours, and 2 whole brined herrings, and almost consume the whole container of pickles immediately.

Oh yes, then I have to add brined herring to the list (the pickled stuff with vinegar in jars just doesn't cut it). Mmmmmm. The weekends we brought back herring were happy ones indeed, for all in my family! My dad would fillet and skin them, and then slice the fillets into pieces 1-inch across. And everyone would sit around watching and trying to steal pieces as soon as they were ready.

smoked salmon.  don't laugh.  whatever I buy, I eat the first day, slowly but surely throughout the day until it's gone.

Mmmm. Smoked salmon, lox, gravlax... But then again, if I sat around waiting to eat brined herring, I guess smoked salmon/lox wouldn't be too far behind, eh? Especially since my parents would buy whole salmon when it was cheap and use one half of it to make gravlax. I remember waiting eagerly for it to be ready to eat. And again, being impatient as my father sliced it.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for smoked/cured/brined fish. :sad:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

All of the above--- if available. Consequently, I never go shopping while hungry, and I don't buy snack food.

Also, I am in awe of people who can keep things like bowls of cold bing cherries, ripe triple-creme cheeses, tupperware containers of tarragon chicken salad, leftover mac and cheese, gorgonzola-stuffed olives and freshly-ground peanut butter in their fridge--- without feeling the urge to consume them immediately. I need to keep food around that requires a bit of effort to produce, or I'll just eat it.

The only thing I can inexplicably keep around the house and not be tempted by is chocolate.

I guess I should mention that there is one type of ice cream that will not linger in the freezer, Blue Bell's Tin Roof. Thankfully, I think they retired that flavor because I have not seen it in the last couple of years.

OK, well two types of ice cream, the other being Baskin & Robbins Chocolate & Peanut Butter. They still make it but B&R is too far away to make the trip worth it.

Cheese balls, otherwisw known as "air biscuits" As soon as they are in your mouth, they disappear and you have to reach for another one.

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

The only thing I can inexplicably keep around the house and not be tempted by is chocolate.

Ditto. I forgot about chocolate. The only chocolate I'm ever tempted by would be very good quality chocolate-covered nuts--almonds, macadamia nuts, peanuts...whatever. If it's got a nut in it, I'll eat it!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Chips and salsa (good chips and good salsa, that is. Like Jaymes' salsa! Or a homemade pico de gallo). I will eat myself into a stupor. So, I try not to buy my favorite chips, the ones that I really have no control with (Que Pasa Thin Style Organic). Instead I buy some kind of blue corn chip from the co-op that isn't nearly as good, so I don't eat as many. Or I cut up tortillas and make my own in the oven with just a little oil.

Fresh veggies, especially cabbage and cruciferous veggies, sliced fine and stir fried with butter or bacon drippings. Get out o' my WAY! Dinner tonight was a bunch of (slightly elderly) sugar snap peas, stir fried in butter. (burp) Yummy! :laugh: Accompanied, of course, by an ET and soda...

ETA: the drink

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

All of the above--- if available. Consequently, I never go shopping while hungry, and I don't buy snack food.

Also, I am in awe of people who can keep things like bowls of cold bing cherries, ripe triple-creme cheeses, tupperware containers of tarragon chicken salad, leftover mac and cheese, gorgonzola-stuffed olives and freshly-ground peanut butter in their fridge--- without feeling the urge to consume them immediately. I need to keep food around that requires a bit of effort to produce, or I'll just eat it.

Oh, wait, there's one. Mmm. When I buy a ripe triple-creme, it's usually as a guilty, greedy endeavor where I know I only want it for myself. And I finish it all off and feel kind of sick but very happy afterwards.

Ok, let's be honest. When I'm bored I think about all sorts of delicious foods I could be eating. It's how I got through some dreary orchestra rehearsals in college!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Cheese balls, otherwisw known as "air biscuits"  As soon as they are in your mouth, they disappear and you have to reach for another one.

Ohmygosh, you just described it. I love eating it until the container is empty and then I suck the cheezy crud stuck on my thumb and forefinger. I would do it to Billy's fingers too until he told me to stop it and what I was doing was yucky. LOL :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Ohmygosh, you just described it. I love eating it until the container is empty and then I suck the cheezy crud stuck on my thumb and forefinger. I would do it to Billy's fingers too until he told me to stop it and what I was doing was yucky. LOL  :biggrin:

DG, I remember your Foodblog photo of your son with that giant jar of cheese balls! :biggrin:

By the way, I vacuum up Cheetos dust in the same way you described, so I'll add Cheetos to my list of unstoppable snackables... :wink:

Lundberg's rice chips (seaweed flavor)...I think I stopped myself once from not eating the whole bag...but maybe I just looked in, saw a few small pieces left and tossed the rest out of self-loathing.

Doritos nacho cheese flavor

Tortilla chips

ditto on the pistachios

I think I discovered that if I eat more than 3 chips, I'm a goner. Somehow only eating a couple doesn't activate the "lizard brain" (to quote Miz Ducky).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Since I can't be trusted around a bag of Cheetos, I never buy them anymore. About a month ago I picked up some Little Bear Crunchitos baked cheese snacks. The "33% less fat" caught my attention. I tried a couple and wasn't all that impressed. Then absent mindedly I had a couple more.... then.... well, you get the picture. I more or less finished off the bag. I think that pretty well killed the 33% less fat advantage.

Several bags later, I fear I must stand up before you all, hang my head and admit.... Yes, I'm a Crunchito-holic and I can't quite manage to "just say no".

My keyboard is turning orange.

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

Add another vote for Cheese-Its!

I rarely buy them, but last week a box "fell" into my cart . . . Fortunately, it turns out my two kittens are also Cheese-Its fans, so technically I did not eat the whole box myself. :raz:

Strawberry Twizzlers have been my downfall the last few months. 4/$5 Twizzlers (at Wegman's) + complete box set of Man from U.N.C.L.E. = T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

Before that, and for many years, it was Cheez-Its. I got burned out for a couple of years, but a 1-lb box recently made an appearance in my pantry. I no longer eat them in bed, so no more waking up with Cheez-It dust all over my sheets. :wink: