• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Magazine on CD or as a PDF

Toliver

Do any food periodicals offer their subscriptions on cd? Or as a PDF file?

Every year Bon Appetit has a "Best of the Year" recap issue and I've always thought it would be great if I could get the entire year on cd or as a series of PDF files that I could easily search. It would save a tremendous amount of space in my home if I could get my food periodicals on a cd or as a file I could read on my computer. It's a trade-off of conserving space versus the tactile feel of having the magazine in my hands and turning the pages but I'm willing to make that trade.

I am also aware that some magazines offer their content online so why even bother with a cd? My argument would be that if I have the cd or PDF file, then I can access the magazine at any time without having to go online.

Does anyone know if there any food periodicals offering this?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I can't remember the topic so I haven't been able to find it, but a few years back someone posted on a really cool site that was being developed that had online versions of many of the mags - mostly the professional focused mags. I can't find it, but maybe someone else will remember what the topic was titled.

HERE'S an interesting previous topic that has links.

HERE'S the topic on favorite mags.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi and I have a little info to offer here... first you can goto ZINIO.COM and register there. If you install the zinio reader application to your computer you can read magazines in pdf format. You can keep looking under their free section to subscribe to digital issues. I am currently getting vegetarian times, savuer and gourmet magazine free every month. Love it, also they notify you by email as well as when you open the reader on your computer you will have a que of mags read or unread. also here is another site with links to many readable online sites....magatopia.com

also Dleex.com and ISSUU.com