• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Taste of London", Regents Park

i would heartily reccommend it - there should be a thread on here somewhere about previuos years. It is a great chance to meet and chat to chefs and sample teeny tasting sized portions of their menus. Be prepared to spend a bit of cash though - it is the equivalent of a meal out with all the dishes coming in between about £4 and £8 i think and you'll easily get through up to 6 or so. Over the past couple of years i have seen Theo randall, Locatelli, Michel roux jnr, Marcus Wareing, Mark sargeant, Tom Aikens, Atol Kochar and Angela Hartnett and tries some wonderful dishes.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

the stuff is good on the whole, but be warned it can get expensive. the dishes mount up even at the "bargain" prices. mentally committ fifty squids plus before you go, stuff your face on the goodies and you'll have a fun time.

J

Sounds fairly promising, will probably give it a shot, cheers.

i would heartily reccommend it - there should be a thread on here somewhere about previuos years. It is a great chance to meet and chat to chefs and sample teeny tasting sized portions of their menus. Be prepared to spend a bit of cash though - it is the equivalent of a meal out with all the dishes coming in between about £4 and £8 i think and you'll easily get through up to 6 or so. Over the past couple of years i have seen Theo randall, Locatelli, Michel roux jnr, Marcus Wareing, Mark sargeant, Tom Aikens, Atol Kochar and Angela Hartnett and tries some wonderful dishes.

Totally agree. It was fun, but we spent £50+ per person. Won't do it again this year.

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. it was interesting to see how different chefs managed to cope with the challenges of mass outdoor catering, some certainly did better than others. It did cost about £50 each, but some food was great, it was a glorious sunny day and we had taken in several bottles of decent wine in a chiller, which makes a big difference to costs. On that basis I would definitely go again, but...

A friend went last year on my recommendation ( I couldn't make it) and had real trouble getting wine in, eventually being allowed after something of a debate with security. I'm not sure what the position is now, but if you can't take your own drink (to a picnic essentially, in a park!), then it could easily be a heck of a lot more than £50. I'm not sure whether I am going this year, I hate arguing with people over whether I am or am not allowed to do any given thing so migtht not bother. Also, I imagine its a whole lot less fun in the rain!

I went last year and I've got to admit I found it totally bizarre.

I have to imagine that chefs' 'signature' dishes are part of the integrated experience of being in their restaurants.

I ate one or two pleasant enough things - nothing that would blow anyone away - but I could say exactly the same thing about the 'Innocent Garden Fete' in the same location. There are plenty of great, innovative outdoor caterers all over the country, doing far more appropriate things for eating at outdoor, tented tradeshows.

I honestly can't see where it 'fits' for foodies. 'Taste of London' is to good food what The Ideal Home Show is to interior design. If food has become a 'lifestyle' statement then ToL is there for that target audience.

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron