• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The perfect roast beef

Lior

Hi. I am known to be a great cook by my family and friends, although I am sure none of them are any where egullet standard!! So I need advice. My roast beef, which I never taste of course, doesn't always come out perfect. Last time is was too rare and everyone sat around waiting for the beef!! I would love advice or a recipe please. I don't have a meat thermometer!

Thanks!!

First, for large cuts of meat a thermometer is the best way to go. They only cost about five dollars and they'll let you hit the perfect temp every time.

Now, here's how I cook a roast:

Preheat the oven to 500'F. Lightly coat the roast in cooking oil and season it well. When the oven is at temp put the roast in for fifteen to twenty minutes. This will develop a really great and tasty crust on the outside. Once that time has passed turn the oven temp down to 350'F or even lower if you have the time and let it go until it's 120'F in the center. This will carry over to medium-rare once you pull it from the oven. Take it longer if your family wants it more done.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Thank you thank you thank you so much!!!

Passover is coming close and I keep checking to see if there is an answer!!!!

Now I have 24 people so I bought about 6.5 kilo (I guess you are into pounds??) And I don;t care about the cost of the thermometer, only the nearest place to get one is in Tel Aviv-an hour's drive.... I will try.

So it is uncovered all the time? Does it sit on a rack to drip or in a pan? Last time I made it I browned it on the range...! Then I put it in a dutch oven covered... Bad???

The ovens here are so small Ihope I can get it all in!!!

Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you thank you thank you so much!!!

Passover is coming close and I keep checking to see if there is an answer!!!!

Now I have 24 people so I bought about 6.5 kilo (I guess you are into pounds??) And I don;t care about the cost of the thermometer, only the nearest place to get one is in Tel Aviv-an hour's drive.... I will try.

So it is uncovered all the time? Does it sit on a rack to drip or in a pan? Last time I made it I browned it on the range...! Then I put it in a dutch oven covered... Bad???

The ovens here are so small Ihope I can get it all in!!!

Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Lior, what cut of beef are you attempting to roast?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Okay here it is called "Viesbraten" I have no idea what that is in English! Hereis a picture of the cow and its cuts- it is # 19.the cut #19

OK that's a rump roast and not something I cook so let's wait for more expert advice on this cut.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog