• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG foodblog: Kim Shook - Dreams of an Everyday Housewife

Does anyone else share my compulsion to buy these things?
Kim, that thing followed me home, too. :huh:

Thank you for sharing this week. Your stories and photos and wonderful food have all been a real treat.

I note with approval the institutional-size jar of cayenne pepper in your dinner shots from yesterday.

I take this to be a sign that you and Mr. Kim love spicy foods.

Does gastric bypass surgery affect your ability to consume hot or spicy dishes? I know that people with kidney failure must avoid them (as well as whole grain bread, much to my consternation. No, my kidneys are fine -- I have a diabetic roommate [type 1] whose kidneys gave out. But I avoid plain old soft white bread unless I'm making grilled cheese sandwiches or French toast.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Also, I want to know when everyone is getting here to pick up all the leftovers. 

Good night, all!  See you tomorrow!

Bring it on down when y'all come! Especially the bacon

See you soon, Love

One package had already been earmarked for you :laugh: ! See you tomorrow night!

I note with approval the institutional-size jar of cayenne pepper in your dinner shots from yesterday.

I take this to be a sign that you and Mr. Kim love spicy foods.

Does gastric bypass surgery affect your ability to consume hot or spicy dishes?  I know that people with kidney failure must avoid them (as well as whole grain bread, much to my consternation. No, my kidneys are fine -- I have a diabetic roommate [type 1] whose kidneys gave out. But I avoid plain old soft white bread unless I'm making grilled cheese sandwiches or French toast.)

Mr. Kim loves spicy food. He wants to sweat when he eats :raz: ! Unfortunately that is one of the areas where we are mismatched. I guess I am a supertaster, because I just cannot tolerate spicy foods. The burn never stops and I can't taste anything after I've had something spicy. Even fairly mild bbq sauces bother me. I don't like really bitter things, either. They don't bother my stomach, though. Acidic things are worse than spicy. I have to really watch how much of an orange I eat, for instance. And I can only tolerate a couple of sips of OJ.

Off to make breakfast. I'll try to post more often today.

I think these are your sausages.

We can only order them from Zingermans. I envy your easy access to them!

Loving your blog. Thanks so much for doing so much!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

gallery_28661_5901_85386.jpg

Kim,

Is that the Tan A Market on Broad St? :wub: My family knows I have to visit it every trip to Richmond. Looks like I may need to add the 17th Street Farmers Market to my list.

Thanks for sharing your "girlie" home and fun blog with us.

Thanks, Margo! I guess that I didn't need to simmer them after all! :raz:

Kim,

Is that the Tan A Market on Broad St?  :wub:  My family knows I have to visit it every trip to Richmond.  Looks like I may need to add the 17th Street Farmers Market to my list.

Yep, that's it! Let me know the next time you come to Richmond! Maybe we could 'do' Tan A and the market together!

Breakfast this morning was a breakfast strudel with eggs, ham, cream cheese and potatoes.

Mise for strudel:

gallery_28661_5901_61729.jpg

puff pastry, butter, frozen hash browns, onion, ham, eggs, chives, cream cheese, OJ :huh: (it's supposed to preserve the color of the egg), parmesan cheese

Rolling out the puff pastry:

gallery_28661_5901_1227.jpg

It was just 10”x12”, but it photographs like an acre!

The cooked egg mixture on the pastry:

gallery_28661_5901_42164.jpg

My egg mummy:

gallery_28661_5901_2727.jpg

:laugh:

Finished:

gallery_28661_5901_25934.jpg

This was a Cuisine at Home magazine recipe. I think that my mom sent me the recipe. I don’t think that I managed the braiding quite that way that they wanted me to, but I think it turned out pretty. It tasted great and you can put this together way ahead of time (even the night before) which is something that appeals to me, especially with breakfast/brunch dishes.

I also had some house made sage sausage that we got from the Belmont Butchery:

gallery_28661_5901_112305.jpg

They were so delicious! What a difference from the usual supermarket packaged stuff!

I also served some of that good bacon, Campari tomatoes and some sweet bagels from Panera:

gallery_28661_5901_180655.jpg

gallery_28661_5901_2954.jpg

Plate:

gallery_28661_5901_157650.jpg

Crap – it’s almost 1pm. Time to make lunch!

Kim,

Is that the Tan A Market on Broad St?   :wub:   My family knows I have to visit it every trip to Richmond.  Looks like I may need to add the 17th Street Farmers Market to my list.

Yep, that's it! Let me know the next time you come to Richmond! Maybe we could 'do' Tan A and the market together!

Thanks for the offer. Our Trip in May will be shorter than usual. Hopefully I'll be out again around September.

Finished:

This was a Cuisine at Home magazine recipe.  I think that my mom sent me the recipe.  I don’t think that I managed the braiding quite that way that they wanted me to, but I think it turned out pretty.  It tasted great and you can put this together way ahead of time (even the night before) which is something that appeals to me, especially with breakfast/brunch dishes.

That strudel looks incredible. Did a google search and it looks like someone posted the recipe on REcipZaar. Will definitely be making that in my future! What great ideas you are giving all the rest of us, Kim. Thank you.

Donna

Kim,

Is that the Tan A Market on Broad St?   :wub:   My family knows I have to visit it every trip to Richmond.  Looks like I may need to add the 17th Street Farmers Market to my list.

Thanks for the offer. Our Trip in May will be shorter than usual. Hopefully I'll be out again around September.

Wonderful - just PM me and we'll try to work something out!

Finished:

This was a Cuisine at Home magazine recipe.  I think that my mom sent me the recipe.  I don’t think that I managed the braiding quite that way that they wanted me to, but I think it turned out pretty.  It tasted great and you can put this together way ahead of time (even the night before) which is something that appeals to me, especially with breakfast/brunch dishes.

That strudel looks incredible. Did a google search and it looks like someone posted the recipe on REcipZaar. Will definitely be making that in my future! What great ideas you are giving all the rest of us, Kim. Thank you.

Thank you! It was really good - it's easier than it looks, which is always nice! The recipes will all eventually be on my webpage, I promise!

I've been trying to get on all day, but we have been having band after band of thunderstorms today and we've lost 3 computers in the last 2 years to lightning and we're not taking any chances. I'm uploading pictures now and I'll try to get everything posted as soon as possible!

Heaven on a plate:

gallery_28661_5901_50858.jpg

Whimper. Just whimper. That looks SO good...I am going to have to find some decent tomatoes when I go grocery shopping. Just HAVE to.

I didn't know Mimi's Buttermilk Spice muffin recipe was available - they're my favorite! (Food blogs aren't just entertaining, they're educational!) I also really like them - I know they're a chain but I've always had good food and good service, they're our "go to" place when we need a quick good meal.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

A question the occurred to me about the ubiquitous iceberg lettuce salad with ginger dressing that is served at almost every Japanese-style restaurant I’ve ever been to.  Is this authentic, or just a nod to US tastes?  Does anyone know?

I don't think it's authentic.

As for your ton katsu question: Ton = pork and katsu = cutlet

As for sushi, let me just remind you that sushi isn't sashimi (raw fish) but vinegared rice plus other ingredients, which may be vegetables as well as raw and cooked fish and seafood.

I've been trying to get on all day, but we have been having band after band of thunderstorms today and we've lost 3 computers in the last 2 years to lightning and we're not taking any chances.  I'm uploading pictures now and I'll try to get everything posted as soon as possible!

I know exactly what you mean. 30 miles or so north we have been getting the same thing. No power surge things happening, thank goodness. Did see my first hummingbird today though so I am feeling happy in spite of the rain.

BTW, made the recipe for your "ET" Bacon Crescent Rolls (from your website) this morning. My husband and brother loved them....as did I. Thanks again.

Donna

I've been trying to get on all day, but we have been having band after band of thunderstorms today and we've lost 3 computers in the last 2 years to lightning and we're not taking any chances.  I'm uploading pictures now and I'll try to get everything posted as soon as possible!

I know exactly what you mean. 30 miles or so north we have been getting the same thing. No power surge things happening, thank goodness. Did see my first hummingbird today though so I am feeling happy in spite of the rain.

BTW, made the recipe for your "ET" Bacon Crescent Rolls (from your website) this morning. My husband and brother loved them....as did I. Thanks again.

I'm so glad you liked them! They are a favorite here, too - even with those that stick up their noses at 'whomp' biscuits! :laugh:

Lunch today was a Chicken Waldorf Salad from Bon Appetit magazine and White Cheddar Muffins from Paula Deen.

Chicken Salad Dressing mise:

gallery_28661_5901_189872.jpg

pineapple juice, apple cider, mayo, honey whole grain Dijon, turmeric, olive oil

Dressing:

gallery_28661_5901_98646.jpg

Salad mise:

gallery_28661_5901_160945.jpg

chicken, Granny Smith apple, red grapes, celery, red onion, walnuts and lettuce

Before the dressing:

gallery_28661_5901_40805.jpg

Finished salad:

gallery_28661_5901_193799.jpg

Muffin mise:

gallery_28661_5901_913.jpg

Muffin batter:

gallery_28661_5901_37968.jpg

In the pan:

gallery_28661_5901_233296.jpg

Finished muffins:

gallery_28661_5901_61727.jpg

Great lunch! We decided that the salad would be wonderful made with tuna or swordfish, as well as the chicken. The muffins got the best recommendation – Jessica said they were even better than Red Lobster’s garlic biscuits! :wacko::raz:

Dinner was my version of Dejah’s Tangerine Beef (actually orange, since that was the only dried peel I could find!) – I have to say ‘my version’ because I’m sure mine was very different – it didn’t look the same, for one thing and I couldn’t find all of her ingredients, but she very nicely gave me some pointers! I also made Fried Orzo (like fried rice, but with orzo) and Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy w/ Garlic (a Gourmet magazine recipe).

Tangerine Beef mise:

gallery_28661_5901_263534.jpg

beef , egg, ginger, orange zest, orange extract, bread crumbs, peanut oil, rice vinegar, sugar, dehydrated orange peel, red pepper flakes, flour, cornstarch, green onions, 5-spice powder

The beef was from the Belmont Butchery. Dejah recommended bottom sirloin tip, which they didn’t have. The butcher recommended skirt steak instead. I was afraid that it might end up too tough, but it was perfect. He offered to cut it for me, but I think next time I will cut it myself. I’d rather have wide strips than the squared off pieces that I ended up with.

The marinating beef strips:

gallery_28661_5901_9693.jpg

Breaded beef:

gallery_28661_5901_177297.jpg

Frying the green onions:

gallery_28661_5901_138565.jpg

Done:

gallery_28661_5901_198541.jpg

These were my own idea. They made a nice addition – crunchy and sweet.

Frying the meat:

gallery_28661_5901_174057.jpg

All crunchy and good:

gallery_28661_5901_164772.jpg

I didn’t bother posting any pictures of the orange sauce because they all just looked like an empty pan, but here is the finished dish:

gallery_28661_5901_226676.jpg

This was fantastic. Of course, I have no idea what it is really supposed to taste like, but we loved it. Crisp and spicy and sweet and intensely orange all at once. Really special and I am so glad that I noticed it all those months ago when Dejah posted it in the dinner thread. Thanks for your help with it, Dejah!

Fried Orzo mise:

gallery_28661_5901_68566.jpg

Orzo, shrimp, egg, soy sauce, green onion, red onion

The egg:

gallery_28661_5901_108967.jpg

gallery_28661_5901_136011.jpg

Hot enough?:

gallery_28661_5901_61418.jpg

The onions:

gallery_28661_5901_192872.jpg

Adding the shrimp and egg:

gallery_28661_5901_167065.jpg

Tossing:

gallery_28661_5901_135775.jpg

Finished dish:

gallery_28661_5901_166492.jpg

This was the first time that I did this, so I had the proportions a little off. Next time I’ll increase the add-ins. But it tasted really good and even if it wasn’t exactly like fried rice, it was close enough to satisfy my craving!

Bok choy mise:

gallery_28661_5901_51691.jpg

chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, oil, garlic, Shanghai bok choy, sesame oil

Aren’t they cute?:

gallery_28661_5901_133556.jpg

In the pan:

gallery_28661_5901_131576.jpg

Finished dish:

gallery_28661_5901_144208.jpg

These were delicious. Ted had made baby bok choy for me one time and I really liked it, but hadn’t ever made it myself. Mr. Kim liked it a lot, too.

Plated Meal:

gallery_28661_5901_138368.jpg

Yes, I do have pink chopsticks.

This is a picture that I insisted upon tonight:

gallery_28661_5901_10744.jpg

:laugh:

This is the most normal time I’ve served a meal all week. Even lunches were staggeringly late. Poor Mr. Kim must have felt like he was suffering from jetlag with the time differences!

Well that’s it. You would not believe how many leftovers we have. Our refrigerator is just bulging. Mr. Kim and I will be popular at our offices next week. No one will have to buy lunch for days!

My last day! I can’t believe it. This has been an exhilarating, exhausting and incredibly fulfilling week. Thank you all for sharing this week with me. I’ve been touched, laughed in a most unladylike manner and learned a lot. I ran out of time every day – I guess that’s par for the course! I planned, but didn’t make a few things – I did no desserts/sweets. I was going to make cookies, Dorie’s chocolate pound cake and Ann T’s scones. I’ll do those soon! I was also going to make Bruce’s Grilled 5 Spice chicken last night and just ran out of energy. I am going to be out of town most of next week, so I’ll be making that the next week, Bruce!

I hope I’ve answered all the questions, that I’ve interested and entertained everyone. This is the first time I’ve ever written for an audience and you’ve all been so kind. Thank you again!

Dinner was my version of Dejah’s Tangerine Beef

All crunchy and good:

gallery_28661_5901_164772.jpg

I didn’t bother posting any pictures of the orange sauce because they all just looked like an empty pan, but here is the finished dish:

gallery_28661_5901_226676.jpg

This was fantastic. Plated Meal:

gallery_28661_5901_138368.jpg

Yes, I do have pink chopsticks.

Absolutely PERFECT! Hun How! :wub: I'm glad to see you didn't drown the crispy beef in sauce.

The deep fried scallions look great! Looks like I'll add that to my version. :biggrin:

I was going to comment on your purchase of tangerine peel from the Asian supermarket. That packet is exactly the kind that we buy for a salty, sweet, and sour snack.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Blogging must be incredibly exhausting! When I blogged in the dear dead days beyond recall, it was one sonnet a day, no pix, no pets no fridge, no nuthin'. You stayed the course, Kim, and let Mr. Kim know that we rarely eat here before ten.

And oh ... your heavenly leftovers!

A wonderful week.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Thank you for letting us spend this week tagging along while you dined out, shopped and most of all while you cooked. Your photos were superb. Kim, it was THE best week of blogging! :biggrin:

Edited by Marigene (log)

Kim, thanks so much for letting us into your life, if only for a little while. Love your "girley" house, your cookbook collection, your little powder room, the whole nine yards! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Kim, I am so glad your blog is still open for posting. I wanted to add my address too for leftovers shipping. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for letting us glimpse into your wonderful life and for Otis too!

Maraming salamat! :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Absolutely PERFECT! Hun How! :wub: I'm glad to see you didn't drown the crispy beef in sauce.

The deep fried scallions look great! Looks like I'll add that to my version. :biggrin:

I was going to comment on your purchase of tangerine peel from the Asian supermarket. That packet is exactly the kind that we buy for a salty, sweet, and sour snack.

I thought so, from one of your PM's, so I didn't use it in the beef. Luckily, when I went to Penzey's on Saturday, they had the dried orange peel. I used that in the sauce and fresh orange zest in the marinade. I'm glad you approve of the scallion addition :wink: !!

It really was delicious, Dejah - thank you for all your help and encouragement. I felt like I really made something authentic for once!

Oh my, Kim. Oh my!

Its been a wonderous week, full of adventure and color and attention to detail. Thank you for all the hard work, care and love you put into this blog.

(and thanks for showing how to make tangerine beef - one of my long time favorites. How can deep-fried sugar-coated beef be anything but delicious (as long as its properly made)? Thanks to Dejah for any coaching. Those look like tutorial photos.)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Finished:

Crap – it’s almost 1pm.  Time to make lunch!

Now, THAT'S about the prettiest thing to grace these pages in Many a Moon!! It reminds me of those "braids" we all had to learn to bake in Home-Ec. Do any of you young folks ever take that anymore? The braid was round, and it had cinnamony sugar and maybe apples in it, and you cut it almost-through every so many inches with scissors and twisted the the slices to lie on alternate sides. Well, it was KINDA like this.

I just cannot tell you what a joy this has been to look forward to every day---more of your pink kitchen and your beautiful recipes, and all the time and effort it took---everybody COOKS for their blogs, but I don't think anyone's ever shopped and cooked and mised and stayed at it EVERY MINUTE. Outstanding.

And only here can someone shop and cook and go out and photograph and fry and bake and measure and blend, loving every minute and serving the family dinner at bedtime---and in the next breath, swear cause they have to go cook.

Doncha just love it? :wub:

PS PINK CHOPSTICKS!!!!!!! :cool: Mine are red; Chris' are black and green.

Edited by racheld (log)