• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dim Sum in Chicago

robyn

I like dim sum - and don't eat it that often. So I try to eat it when I visit cities where it's available. Last time we were in Chicago (2002) - I recall we had some that was ok (I will settle for ok or better in Chicago) - but I can't remember the name of the restaurant. In any event - what's your favorite dim sum restaurant in Chicago these days (with carts). Thanks. Robyn

I'll put in a vote for Phoenix, south Chinatown (2131 S Archer Ave, (312) 328-0848). Carts on the weekends only, they've gone to a checklist during the week. They're also taking reservations for parties of 4 or more on the weekends, which is an improvement on the 45 minutes or more wait when you show up between 11 and 1:30. There's a lot of variety, everything is fresh and very tasty and service is very good.

Edited by hsm (log)

Phoenix was always my favorite (though I haven't been there in a while).

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

It's small, crowded (with Chinese people), and has a long wait, but I was fairly impressed with what I saw of Shui Wah's dim sum program. No roaming cart wenches - this is a sit and order type place.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

If you'd prefer the North side, I've always been a fan of the dim sum at Furama. It's a big room, bustling with carts on Sunday mornings, and you can rub Buddha's belly after you ascend the stairs to the second floor space.

It's thisclose to Little Vietnam.

Furama

4936 N. Broadway

Chicago

(773) 271-1161

I've had dim sum at a couple of the places in Chinatown.  I've found that the Chinese food I like best is at places (e.g. Lao Sze Chuan) that do not serve dim sum.

Note that dim sum is was invented and is very popular in the Guangdong (aka Canton) province, in south China. Szechuan, a province in the midwestern part of China does not have too many dim sum type restaurants, but is slowly increasing. A true Szechuan restaurant like Lao should not serve dim sum, although I think that if they plate some of their Szechuan dishes in smaller bite sized morsels, it would be a great hit.

If you find Phoenix too crowded, take a trip across the street to Happy Chef. It too may be crowded and does not have the roaming carts, but the price is about half as much as Phoenix and tastes about 90% similar - some will argue that the price makes it taste better. :blink:

Note that dim sum places usually serve from when the restaurant opens, 8 or 9, until 2 or 3. Worth going there early and have breakfast and beat the crowds.

• 1 year later...

I was in Chicago with my brother this past weekend and had dim sum at Shui Wah on Sunday. Background: I've been to Chicago before on numerous occasions but it was my brother's first visit. We're both Chinese American and have a vast amount of experience eating dim sum in many different cities.

We arrived a little after 11am, and though the place was full we were seated within 5 minutes. First they asked us what type of tea we desired (we got chrysanthemum) and then gave us a paper menu where we could tick off the items we wanted.

The first thing we noted was the very limited menu with a few glaring omissions: virtually no baked items (no egg custard tarts or baked char siu bao), and no fried sesame balls. While this wasn't a big deal to us as this was just a one time visit, I think if we were locals the lack of these items is a serious enough flaw that it we probably would not patronize Shui Wah very often.

We ended up ordering 6 items off the menu (har gow, siu mai, lo bok go, shrimp rice crepes, char siu bao, salt and pepper fried squid) plus a dish of gai lan (chinese broccoli) that a waitress was carrying around.

We enjoyed the siu mai, lo bok go, fried squid, and gai lan. I thought the rice crepes were a bit too chewy and the bao a little bland, though both were still ok overall. Neither my brother or I liked the har gow--the shrimp didn't taste fresh to us.

Compared to the cost for dim sum in other cities we've been to the prices at Shui Wah were a little higher. The prices start at $2.40 for a "small" item, but most of the dishes we ordered were more expensive. In LA, where my brother lives, the small dishes are normally priced under $2 and typically encompass all the most commonly ordered dishes including har gow and siu mai. At Shui Wah these two items are considered "medium" dishes. On the plus side we weren't charged for our tea, which is common practice in most other places. Not including tip the final bill was $24 for the two of us.

Edited by sheetz (log)