• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ladies Birthday Luncheon Upper East Side

ellenesk

I am looking for suggestions for a restaurant to host a luncheon for my mom's upcoming birthday(north of 50, south of 100). 10-20 people. A private room is preferred but not necessary. I am hoping for something pretty. I think french would be a good option.

Any suggestions welcome. For lunch, I would like to keep it to $35 per person before tax and tip.

Thanks

$35 pp including wine or not? That may get a bit tight otherwise.

Any place that does a Restaurant Week-style lunch deal would be good: I'd check and see if Cafe Boulud does anything along those lines.

Of the standard UES ladies' lunch spots, I prefer Amaranth, on 21 East 62nd between Madison and 5th, for the food. Apps are around $8-9 and mains $15-20, so you could get out of there for around $35 with a glass of wine, before tax & tip. They'll take large groups.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Just to be clear, are you saying you want a restaurant between 50th and 100th Streets on the East Side?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Any of that group of french bistro type places throughout the city.

Marseilles-theater district

Nice Matin-upper west side

Pigalle-theater district

I find the food to be very good, and reasonable at all of the above places.

Nice atmospheres, and yet not too fancy, but the food is great and the menu offers a nice selection of things french and otherwise.

Any of that group of french bistro type places throughout the city.

Marseilles-theater district

Nice Matin-upper west side

Pigalle-theater district

I find the food to be very good, and reasonable at all of the above places.

Nice atmospheres, and yet not too fancy, but the food is great and the menu offers a nice selection of things french and otherwise.

Some good choices - none however, on the east side, much less the upper east side.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Wow for a bunch of foodies, yall give some terrible options.

Ok well, for Lunch, Jean Georges does a pretty cheap lunch prie fix at 28 for 2 courses 12 for each other course...... as well as Gordon Ramsay... and also Mercer Kitchen... i hear so does eleven madison....

Now dinner is a whole other game, but for lunch for your mom's i'd say do Jean Georges, the feel of being rich while being able to be a cheap bastard... Good Eatin!

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Ok well, for Lunch, Jean Georges does a pretty cheap lunch prie fix at 28 for 2 courses 12 for each other course...... as well as Gordon Ramsay... and also Mercer Kitchen... i hear so does eleven madison....

Now dinner is a whole other game, but for lunch for your mom's i'd say do Jean Georges, the feel of being rich while being able to be a cheap bastard... Good Eatin!

Yes, but us bunch of foodies are trying to stay within the parameters of the original poster's topic - i.e. the upper east side. None of the restaurants you name fit that bill.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yes, but us bunch of foodies are trying to stay within the parameters of the original poster's topic - i.e. the upper east side. None of the restaurants you name fit that bill.

I'm pretty sure that she was telling us that it was a bunch of seniors...not asking for the UES.

with that said, the problem with JG et al lunch deals is that few of them could accomodate a group of 10-20...and if they did, they'd usually make them spend quite a bit more.

Brasserie 8 1/2 might work....

the private room probably isn't gonna happen.

I'm pretty sure that she was telling us that it was a bunch of seniors...not asking for the UES.

Look at the thread title.

(That's the problem when people put important information in the thread title and don't repeat it in the body. People tend to skip it.)

Look at the thread title.

(That's the problem when people put important information in the thread title and don't repeat it in the body. People tend to skip it.)

ah, my bad.

ok. Jo-Jo has a nice lunch pre fixe at that price point. with that said, the group of 10-20 may well pose a problem. worth calling though.

I'm pretty sure that she was telling us that it was a bunch of seniors...

Shit, are 50 year old seniors now?

actually, according to the AARP, yes. ;)

(I realize that this is because the AARP has a strong incentive to make its membership as large as possible)

Edited by Nathan (log)

Excuse me, but I fully intend to be called a senior NOW, and I am 45.

If you're a senior, I'm a sophomore. :raz:

Nice to see you posting, and I hope your health has improved. Any input for these ladies? I don't hang out on the Upper East Side. I believe you've had reason to be in the East 60s, no?

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't eaten anywhere that the ladies who lunch would, except for Italian at Petaluma, and since I'm not doing too well with the eating lately, I barely touched my soup. I'm actually following this thread to see if someone mentions a place that I can visit with friends who have begun to meet me at MSK for 'lunch'. All I want is a home made slush! I walk up to the 90's and down to the 20's on 1st Avenue, but haven't been hit over the head by anything(I know, that's in bad taste, but I was right there at the scene on Monday, and I couldn't resist!).

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Dona and Anthos both have $25 prix fixe lunch menus, I think. Anthos is technically in the West 50's, but just barely west of 5th. Both would be good for a ladies' lunch.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007