• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh sausage problem

muichoi

Simply this-I've been making many kinds for a while and they are really good, but the texture of the (always natural)casing when cooked never pleases me-a damp bend rather than the crisp yielding I'm looking for. Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

I'm just grasping at straws here... looking for anything you might do differently than I do. Do you rinse the casings out well before stuffing? When you cook them, do you go until the internal temp hits 150F? High heat? I find that when sautéing I have to use medium-high heat to get the exterior to the color and texture I want and get the interior up to temp. I take them pretty dark on the outside, till parts of the exterior are charred, usually.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've found the best results, whether I've made the sausages myself or purchased them (all using hog casings) are best off done on the trusty old Weber Kettle. The broiler or a saute pan just don't give the right pop. I think a key is that they shouldn't be overcooked, but over high enough heat that the skins get the crisp that yields to the supreme snap.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wouldn't the water content of the sausage have some bearing on this too?

Maturing (draining!) after stuffing has to have some impact.

After all, the casing isn't much of a barrier to the moisture within.

On cooking, smoking and charcoal grilling would be drying the things, whereas poaching before grilling/frying would increase (probably maximise) the moisture within the sausage.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan