• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matjes herrings in Montreal?

Ah, as the season turns toward Spring--however slowly!--one's thoughts turn longingly toward Holland and the new crop of matjes herrings.

Has anyone ever found anything like the Real Thing over here? in Montreal? The ones in jars aren't even close to the real thing, fished fresh out of a barrel in some wonderful fish market in Holland.

Sigh.

Winemaker

Phone the Consulate in Montreal or Ottawa if there is not a local one.

Bon Appetite

Malcolm

Ah, as the season turns toward Spring--however slowly!--one's thoughts turn longingly toward Holland and the new crop of matjes herrings.

Has anyone ever found anything like the Real Thing over here? in Montreal? The ones in jars aren't even close to the real thing, fished fresh out of a barrel in some wonderful fish market in Holland.

Sigh.

Winemaker

IKEA's food store at the cash registers have SWEDISH pickled herring.

I don't think they have the plain matjes filets here in the Montreal store, but they do have variety of ready made pickled herring.

Sigh.

Winemaker

If you have ever been witness to this but..... On the corner of St. Laurent and Roy there is a herring importer who has a loading dock on the north East corner opening on to Roy. Every time their shipments come in, you can see them unloading barrels of herring straight off the trucks into the loading dock.

I don't think you can find much fresher (in Montreal) than what they were importing. I just looked up the company and it is:

National Herring Importer 3805 St. Lawrence Blvd. 842-4633

Now, I do not know their product lines, but I am sure that if they do not import Matjes they could tell you where to go....

Good luck, and please post back if you do find fresh Matjes. I find most too sweet.

BTW the ADAR line of Herring sold at Ikea is considered on of the best bottled products on the market.

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

• 1 month later...