• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exceptional/ Memorable meals

Dave Hatfield

. And I'm cheating with #1, because it's 61 klicks inside French Switzerland.

1. 1984, Fredy Girardet blew us away, so much so that while we had to go from there to Vienna the next day, we booked a "last meal" there when we got back, just before streaking off to the airport.

John, Yes you are cheating, but you're forgiven. As host I guess you can get away with it; I on the other hand wanted to make sure I stayed sort of within the rules.

If not then Girardet would have been at the top of my favorites. We had several notable meals there in the early & then the late 80's. One where I told my then newly wedded bride that we were completely changing our holiday plans at short notice because my friend Pierre had called and said he had Girardet reservations & did we want to come?

Another where I hosted a lunch for 14 as the prize for the most successful sales competition I've ever run. They actually offered seconds on the truffled chicken dish, but only to the gentlemen!

Any memories of Girardet are more than welcome as far as I'm concerned. Its still my standard by which others are measured.

Edited to correct Girardet.

Dave, you have got to be careful about bending the rules. Us young turks will head west. After all Roses and Donostia are only 30kms over the border.

My most memorable lunch dates back to the late 1980s and was prepared by the late Jacques Pic in Valence. We sat in the front-side garden that has now been replaced by the courtyard of the hotel, at 30 degrees heat in the shadow of some old trees and enjoyed the Menu Rabelais.

As the name suggests, this was not only highly enjoyable quality-wise, but also the largest amount of food I ever came across during one single meal. I have kept the menu -

Filet de Loup au caviar (amuse bouche)

Filets de Rougets a la Provencale

Mosaique de Turbot et Saumon au Fenouil

Petit Homard a la creme de Basilic

Sorbet au Marc

Fantaisie de Pintadeau et Foie de Canard au Miel et Amandes

Fromages

Desserts - Friandises

When it says "Desserts", what really happened was that the waiters kept serving sweet things until we stopped them. I remember three "pre-desserts" in a row, and then a massive trolley was rolled to our table with cakes, tourtes and ice creams. No doubt that this gargantuan feast was the most substantial meal of my life, both for quality and quantity.

Very enjoyable also through the fact that fine Rhone wines were still very affordable at the time. We had two bottles of Hermitage by Jean-Louis Chave, one white and one red, for very little money. At the end of the meal, Jacques Pic and his wife came to our table for a little chat and I even remember seeing a teenager called Anne-Sophie.

For food, definitely dinners in the early 80’s at Michel Guerard and Girardet; unbelievable ingredients and powerful cooking. Have never tasted food so vivid as if they injected extra flavor into their lobster, sole, squab, sweetbread, ice creams and sorbets. The flavors were so intense and pure. Too bad that the service at either restaurant matched the cooking. Guerard’s staff at that time was still un-assured and as for Girardet, the staff was professional but stiff, lacking warmth. Neither can match my favorite meal at Jacque Pic; excellent cooking, great company and the warmest, most unpretentious and professional staff. And Jacque Pic was such a wonderful and generous man. The somewhat old-fashioned dining room just added to the overall enjoyment.

Edited by Pork Belly (log)