• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Farine avec levure" help

Rehovot

Hello, Francophile eGers... I'm working on a cookbook translated from French to English and have run into something puzzling. Some of the recipes in the French version refer to "farine avec levure," which was translated as "flour with yeast."

First, is "levure" really "yeast," here? Or is it baking powder? (In which case, is farine avec levure really self-rising flour?)

If farine avec levure really is flour with yeast, is this unique to France, or have you seen it elsewhere? (I can't remember seeing it when I lived in France, but that was ten years ago.)

Many thanks for your help. :smile:

Edited by Rehovot (log)

Hello, Francophile eGers... I'm working on a cookbook translated from French to English and have run into something puzzling. Some of the recipes in the French version refer to "farine avec levure," which was translated as "flour with yeast."

First, is "levure" really "yeast," here? Or is it baking powder? (In which case, is farine avec levure really self-rising flour?)

If farine avec levure really is flour with yeast, is this unique to France, or have you seen it elsewhere? (I can't remember seeing it when I lived in France, but that was ten years ago.)

Many thanks for your help. :smile:

In France, "levure" can mean either yeast or baking powder. More precisely, "levure chimique" is baking powder, and "levure de boulanger" would be yeast.

I never used "farine avec levure", but, as far as I know, I'm pretty sure that it's flour with baking powder. Just look at the ingredients, if you see "levure chimique" or "bicarbonate de soude", you'll know it's baking powder.

Just checked on the Francine website, it definately is baking powder:

http://www.francine.com/gamme1.php

and click on "farine à gâteaux".

It is self-rising flour, you may also encounter it under the name "farine à gâteaux". It contains a small proportion of "levure chimique" (baking powder).

But if you are translating the recipes, be careful: French self-rising flour contains less baking powder than American or British self-rising flour and a small quantity of extra baking powder should be added whenever this ingredient is found.