• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steakhouse in Sydney?

Is there a good steakhouse in Sydney?

Have been craving a really big, good steak...

Kingsleys is always a good one. You can go for King Street or Lime Street. I prefer the King Street one as it's a nicer atmosphere and has a cigar lounge. Lime Street is good if it's a nice night and you can get a table outside.

For the ultimate head to Prime in the GPO building for big expensive and delicious steaks.

Oh yeah and the award for the most expensive steak goes to Becasse in Clarence St. I've not tried it. Why? It's a one kilogram, 400 day grain fed, dry aged Wagyu beef and it's $150. That's why :)

Enjoy!

Love Kingsleys, we were just there last weekend at the Woolloomoolloo one, might try Prime next - that 1 kilo steak sounds a bit much, plus I'm not that crazy about Wagyu anyway...

Thanks!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Oh yeah and the award for the most expensive steak goes to Becasse in Clarence St. I've not tried it. Why? It's a one kilogram, 400 day grain fed, dry aged Wagyu beef and it's $150. That's why :)

Enjoy!

Yikes! But surely a one kilo slab of meat is meant for 2 people? Anyway, it works out to be $37.50 per 100 grams.

Over here in Rockpool Bar and Grill in Melbourne, they've got a 200g wagyu ribeye priced at $110.00, which works out at $55 per 100 grams.

Edited by Shinboners (log)
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Sandra, I would strongly second gmerrall's Prime recommendation. Compared to the Kingsleys at Woolloomooloo and King Street (which one is actually still owned by Kingsley?), Prime wins hands down for pure meat quality, as well as precision of execution. Obviously more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. They also have a very good wine selection.

The food guides also praise La Grillade in Crows' Nest, though I have never been.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

Julian, Crow's nest is right up the road, and I have passed La Grillade several times, maybe it's time to give that a try too... I see a lot of steak in my weekend!

I did not realise that Kingsleys Wolloomooloo is not part of the whole thing? When they pick up the phone they ask which location you want... I figured they just had 2 restos in the city - I like to lsit outside and ook at the $$$ boats!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

If you're going to Crows Nest, there was a terrific review on Matthew Kemp's new restaurant (called Burlington from memory) which has a terrific steak - available in 500g or 1kg serves???

Not sure who could possibly eat a 1kg steak, 200g is right for me.

However, what really appeals are all the offal/secondary cut dishes which Kemp is known for.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

• 4 weeks later...

Julian and gmerrell, you were spot on with Prime!

Great meat, great wine, and more importantly, great service, something which seems to be sorely lacking in Australia in general...

WIll definitely be going back

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Kingsleys has a MUCH better atmosphere, the room of Prime is below ground sort of like a catacomb, a nice catacomb, but a little sad...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~