• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking without salt, or with reduced salt, or with salt substitutes

GordonD

My wife's doctor has instructed her to abstain from salt for the remainder of her pregnancy. As I am of the persuasion that considers unsalted meat an abomination, this has caused no small amount of tension in the household.

I'm looking for saltless cooking techniques and recipes (my wife insists I call them "salternatives" -- as she is pregnant, I find it advisable to humor her as much as I can) that don't leave food bland and only vaguely edible.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

Yes, vinegar/citrus is good.

Kelp or kombu are good but need something to counteract the mellowing tendency.

Also sprinkles such as toasted sesame seeds, toasted and finely chopped nuts etc are good. Try making a dukkah mix without the salt.

Summer savory is a much maligned and under-used herb that is particularly good with salt-free food. The trick is to either grow it or get a GOOD source of dried herb. I was pleased with some I got from Penzey's.

When I had to cut way back on salt I too discovered that anything with a lot of citrus or anything very tart can go the distance without adding salt. I made a lot of Avgolemono (Greek Lemon soup) and Sorrel soup. I also found that roasting a chicken rubbed with lemon juice and oil and paprika was very satisfying without salt. I agree that unsalted beef is a tough sell.

Upthread there was a suggestion of kelp and kombu. I always stayed away from any type of seaweed, assuming that it naturally contained seasalt. Actually I have no idea whether that's true.

I sympathize! I was amazed when I realized how much sodium is in all products on the grocery shelves. Most plain old cottage cheese has a ton of sodium, and brands vary widely.Tell your wife to take heart; soon her taste buds will adjust and she won't miss it as much as she does now. And it won't be long before there are cherries and plums and other fabulous fruits! And then you'll have a baby!

I have never seen or tasted it, but I came across something called NuSalt -- sodium-free salt substitute. I imagine it is the Splenda of salts.

From the FAQ:

# 4. What are the ingredients in Nu-Salt?

Nu-Salt contains potassium chloride, potassium bitartrate, silicon dioxide and natural flavor derived from citrus fruits and honey.

# 5. What is the function of each ingredient?

Potassium chloride = is the salt substitute component of the blend.

Potassium bitartrate = flavor modifier.

Silicon dioxide = anticaking agent.

Natural flavor = taste modifier.

Another surprising source of sodium: canned beans. It's a shame that the preservative qualities do have a drawback.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I have never seen or tasted it, but I came across something called NuSalt -- sodium-free salt substitute.  I imagine it is the Splenda of salts.

From the FAQ:

# 4. What are the ingredients in Nu-Salt?

Nu-Salt contains potassium chloride, potassium bitartrate, silicon dioxide and natural flavor derived from citrus fruits and honey.

# 5. What is the function of each ingredient?

Potassium chloride = is the salt substitute component of the blend.

Potassium bitartrate = flavor modifier.

Silicon dioxide = anticaking agent.

Natural flavor = taste modifier.

Another surprising source of sodium: canned beans.  It's a shame that the preservative qualities do have a drawback.

I had a roommate in college who had to watch her sodium and used NuSalt religiously. To me it tasted like sprinkling your food with aluminum foil. It's definitely salt-esque, but not salty.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Dude, I got three letters for you: MSG.

Actually, if the OP's wife is facing a salt restriction (and I'm guessing it's due to pregnancy-related high blood pressure), the sodium content of monosodium glutamate might also be a problem; while it contains only a third of the sodium of NaCl table salt, that might still be too much for her particular codition. A number of salt substitutes might present problems as well; even if they don't contain sodium, the compounds they substitute, such as potassium, might still mess with her electrolyte balance in undesireable ways. Obviously I am not a doctor or any other sort of medical professional--just a layperson with my own history of hypertension and other health issues that make me sensitive to sodium intake. So OP's wife would be well-advised to run all these questions by her health professionals just to double-check.

Even if MSG is not okay for her particular health situation, she could still enjoy the flavor-boosts from foods that are rich in naturally-occurring glutamate, the amino acid of which monosodium glutamate is the sodium salt. Now some of these foods, such as soy sauce and parmesan cheese, are also quite salty and so would be right out. But such foods as tomatoes and mushrooms are also high in natural glutamates, but without the sodium hit. Here's a list of naturally-occurring glutamate levels for some common foods.

Upthread there was a suggestion of kelp and kombu. I always stayed away from any type of seaweed, assuming that it naturally contained seasalt. Actually I have no idea whether that's true.

Actually, kelp or kombu is an excellent source of glutamate which gives everything umami flavor. In fact, I think kombu soup is where glutamate was isolated and made into MSG.

Actually, kelp or kombu is an excellent source of glutamate which gives everything umami flavor. In fact, I think kombu soup is where glutamate was isolated and made into MSG.

That is in fact true about kombu being the food from which glutamate was originally isolated. Alas, it is also true, totally aside from its glutamate content, that kombu has a high sodium content. According to this macrobiotics text, kombu cotains a whopping 2500 mg per 100g (by comparison, 100g of cooked broccoli contains 41 mg of sodium, according to this page--enter 100g for serving size).

Please don't think from these comments that I'm anti-MSG, or even anti-kombu--far from it! But I think it's important to be aware of all the data, especially when dealing with a medical condition.

Edited to add: I can't seem to make the link for the broccoli sodium content work properly, so I suggest going directly to the Calorie King website and looking up broccoli. Alas, their coverage of sea vegetables is kind of spotty, which is why I Googled the macrobiotics text.

Edited by mizducky (log)

Thanks mizducky for the clarification of sodium content in kombu.

Gordon, you've been quiet since you started this thread. It would be useful to know if your wife's doc suggested she back way off on salt and sodium-laden products or whether she has been instructed to avoid all sodium.

My solution in lowering my salt intake was to pretty much eliminate processed commercial foods. Then I allowed myself to add a small amount of salt to home-cooked foods. I treat salt like it was precious gold flake. A very small pinch of good sea salt goes a long way on a tomato or on a rib-eye, especially once your taste buds adjust to a diet with less. Your wife could probably eat one sliced tomato a day with a few grains of fleur de sel for the rest of her pregnancy and not get half the sodium that's in one 6 oz can of tomato juice! Using less processed foods means you could use salt mainly for finishing, and that way you could salt your own portion and wouldn't feel so deprived.

It's the OP, not the wife, who is having taste issues here.

I went on a low-salt diet (which to me means no salt in cooking) 5 years ago. Used various herbs appropriate to whatever fish or poultry I was roasting or broiling. In sauteeing & pan-frying, caramelization seemed to add enough flavor so that I didn't really miss the salt. It was a bit of an adjustment but your taste changes after a month or two. At that point, when you dine out, a lot of dishes start to taste overly salted.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I have never seen or tasted it, but I came across something called NuSalt -- sodium-free salt substitute.  I imagine it is the Splenda of salts.

I had a roommate in college who had to watch her sodium and used NuSalt religiously. To me it tasted like sprinkling your food with aluminum foil. It's definitely salt-esque, but not salty.

Yes, potassium chloride has an unpleasant metallic flavor. It works in a pinch when it's one ingredient among many, but will not shine as a central flavor. A decent compromise I've found is Morton Lite Salt, or any other such blend produced by a variety of manufacturers. (You could always blend your own if you have KCl/NuSalt on hand.)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

To the OP: I would suggest that you cook things without salt, and then salt your own portion, if it's only you that is missing the taste of salt. As far as omitting it from the cooking process, nothing bad will happen. I'm also one of the people who had to eliminate salt from my cooking, and I found the very same things that some people mention above - after a while your taste buds adapt, and the salt you add to what's on your plate at the end does the trick. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you get a lot of cleaner, clearer flavors in cooked foods when you don't keep salting during cooking as so many people do - and I have seen people put something up to cook, taste it every half hour, decide it needs salt, and keep adding it every 30 minutes. As a test once, I made the same thing, tasted it, realized it needed salt, didn't add it, and just before serving, put a little bit of salt to taste. Tasted just as good, and probably eliminated several grams of sodium from the dish.

Another thing I'll do when putting up a pot of something to cook, is after it has cooked for a bit, I'll take some out, put it in a little pan and reduce it tremendously to preview what it will taste like when cooked down, and if all it needs at that point is a little salt, I've got it made.

If it's your wife who's craving salt, she may have to make do with squeezing lemon or using balsamic vinegar on her food and just make the best of it.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 15 years later...

Host's note: This post and the subsequent conversation were moved from the Dinner topic.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:28 PM, billyhill said:

@Ann_TI am so envious of your husband, you produce so much amazing food.

Thank you @billyhill.

I made a recent blog post on our new way of eating.

Moe has some kidney issues that requires a lower salt diet.
The only changes I have made to our diet is to greatly reduce the salt.
Other than that I intend to continue to make meals that we both enjoy.
All of our meals in the last two weeks have been reduced or no salt.

RoastChickenSeptember23rd2023.thumb.jpg.1839c6c88926f033eac1eb73226af3df.jpg

Saturday`s dinner was our first roast chicken dinner on Moe`s low sodium diet.

RoastChickenSeptember23rd20232.thumb.jpg.2d03adaecdfb88ee725eb1caa8b4e141.jpg
Traditional with mashed potatoes, gravy, rutabaga and something green, brussel sprouts this time. 
I seasoned the gravy with sage and fresh thyme and pepper.
And the mashed potatoes were mashed with milk, unsalted butter and pepper.  
Gravy and mashed potatoes definitely suffered without salt. 

The only salt was a tiny sprinkle at the table.  

I must confess that Moe is adapting better than me. 
HotChickenSandwichwithfriesandpeasSeptember24th2023.thumb.jpg.f7df465e50533c81f52eb8d9253081bf.jpg
Last night I made one our favourite ``diner`meals, with leftover chicken breast - hot chicken sandwiches with double fried fries and salt reduced canned peas.

Has anyone tried Green Salt?

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

From Mr. google

As such, it has approximately 50% less sodium than salt, roughly translating to 280 milligrams of sodium per ½ teaspoon of green salt versus a hefty 1,150 milligrams of sodium per ½ teaspoon of table salt. That's a sizable difference for anyone monitoring sodium intake.’

im personally very skeptical of their health claims .

other claims , that you get the same saltiness w their product 

and half the sodium content may or may not be true,  one would have to try it

' double blind ' 

• Like 2

@Okanagancook,  I've ordered some.  And I'm hoping that it just adds mostly a "salt" taste.   Almost every salt substitute is a combination of herbs and spices.

Which is fine, if you are looking to add lemon and garlic, or a tex mex seasoning to whatever you are cooking.   BUT, if you want just a little salt to enhance the flavour

of something that you already have the flavour profile you are looking for, none of the other substitutes I have found work for me.   

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

im personally very skeptical of their health claims .

other claims , that you get the same saltiness w their product 

and half the sodium content may or may not be true,  one would have to try it

' double blind ' 

@rotuts,  I'm always skeptical of health claims.

But if it adds a "salt" taste , to enhance a dish, I'll be happy.  

Although I must say, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
I must confess that Moe is adapting better than me.

Doing it because you have to is a great motivator.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning