• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting strawberry flavor into ganache

tammylc

I've been thinking of getting some mec3 products to tinker with. Anyone know where to get mec3 in the US?

Luis,

Just this morning I got a reply from their NA sales manager. She can tell you who the distributors in your area would be.

Her name is Andrea Acciario (a.acciario - at - gmail.com) 1-562-852-8480

I've been thinking of getting some mec3 products to tinker with. Anyone know where to get mec3 in the US?

Luis,

Just this morning I got a reply from their NA sales manager. She can tell you who the distributors in your area would be.

Whoops, I've got to correct this. Andrea is a man not a woman, and the e-mail is a.acciaro@gmail.com

Sorry about that.

mec3 strawberry compound saves the day ;-) great stuff, incredibly natural !

cheers

t.

Torsten,

Can you tell me the name of the actual product? I can't quite tell which of the strawberry products they make is the compound.

Luis,

Whoops, I've got to correct this. Andrea is a man not a woman, and the e-mail is a.acciaro@gmail.com

Sorry about that.

Thanks kerry. I will email him.

Luis

I found another company in canada that has mec3 products.

http://www.ravensbergen.com/

Luis

Thanks Luis, I suspect I'll go to Faema which is fairly close to me - that way I can go and look at all the products and spend much more money than I intend!

I have looked locally for freeze dried strawberries and can't find them. I went to the local health food stores and there was none to be had. Does anyone have any excellent sources for freeze dried berries. Canadian sources are preferred, but if it is an excellent product I will be happy no matter where it is!

Do you have Bulk Barns near you? The one here carries freeze-dried berries, and they've been very good about special ordering things for me, so they might be willing to sell it to you by the case, if you wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now the proud owner of 2.5 kg of MEC3 strawberry compound. (and 2.5 kg of mango compound). Didn't realize the containers were so large!!

I'll crack it open tonight and see what I can do with it.

So I figured the best test would be to simply mix some of the MEC3 strawberry compound with some fondant, a bit of invertase and citric acid, mold it in some cornstarch and then dip.

I certainly would never have done this successfully with any compounds I have used before - even though they may be great for boosting the flavour of a center based on puree.

The MEC3 compound made a cream center that had nice clear strawberry flavour, a bit of an acidic bite to counteract the sweetness of the fondant.

I could learn to love cream centers if they all turned out this well.

Schneich - thanks for telling us about this excellent compound!

• 1 month later...
I have looked locally for freeze dried strawberries and can't find them.  I went to the local health food stores and there was none to be had. Does anyone have any excellent sources for freeze dried berries.  Canadian sources are preferred, but if it is an excellent product I will be happy no matter where it is!

You can buy the freeze dried berries from here. http://www.justtomatoes.com/dried_fruit.html or from this company that sells the freeze dried powder of different fruits. http://www.nutrifruit.com/ You can also get some freeze dried powders here. http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/category_...omy_page_1.html

Luis

Edited by sote23 (log)

I have looked locally for freeze dried strawberries and can't find them.  I went to the local health food stores and there was none to be had. Does anyone have any excellent sources for freeze dried berries.  Canadian sources are preferred, but if it is an excellent product I will be happy no matter where it is!

I get mine here:

van drunen farms

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I get mine here:

van drunen farms

Very good selection. Thanks for the link.

Luis