• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Canaille

Laidback

For about a year now, since it opened, I have walked by the Bistro Canaille about 4 or 5 times on my way to Carte Blanche which is only a few doors down on Rue Lamartine. It always had`a clean, pleasant street appeal and prices low enough to be worrisome as to the quality.

IMG_0939copycopy.jpg

Yesterday Ms. L. and I gave it a shot and were very pleased. There are only about 20 seats and if it was full you would meet your dining neighbors. We discovered why this place is affordable and at the same time good; husband and wife team, no expensive products, i.e., foie gras, truffles, but rather proudly prepared items such as starters of warm lentilles vertes with rillons de veau and pastorale salad with pine nuts dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; house special of joues de cochon au caramel with mashed potatoes seasoned with mustard seeds

Jouesdeporc.jpg

and poitrine de veau served like pot au feu in a broth with carrots and courgettes

PoitrinedeveauBistroCanaille.jpg

The riz au lait was unusual, but good, sprinkled with nuts and dried fruit.

RizaulaitBistroCanaille.jpg

Bread was acceptable, coffee from Richard, wines affordable; we had a pichet of Chapoutier Cote du Rhone for €17

2 courses are €22; 3 for €28 or you can simply order a single plate for €16 at noon. I don't urge you to cross multiple arrondissements to eat here as it is just a simple bistro, but I have done much worse for much more money.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Laidback

I don't urge you to cross multiple arrondissements to eat here as it is just a simple bistro, but I have done much worse for much more money.

It's nice to have my experience in February

Go? Sure, not as a “destination” but perfect bistro de quartier
confimed.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris