• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Chocolates by Wybauw

Lior

Hi. I usually use Wybauw's recipes but change them according to my needs. If I want a moulded chocolate I change the choc to cream ratio etc. Or I use it for idea combinations. But now:

I want to make Arabe- page 110 exactly as is given. My problem is that I think I can't! First it calls for 30g of Sorbitol. I would rather not use this.

So could I replace it with invert or glucose? It is reduced glucose I think- and if so how?

Next it calls for Passoa Liqueur- passion fruit liqueur. I can't get it here! What else could be used? Brandy? A fruit liqueur?

Another of his recipes calls for pistachio compound (amoretti No.5) It sounds yucky to me. I want natural pistachio. Could pistachio paste replace this gram for gram? This is on page 128.

Quite a few customers asked for pistachio hence these two recipes.

Thanks!!

Hi. I usually use Wybauw's recipes but change them according to my needs. If I want a moulded chocolate  I change the choc to cream ratio etc. Or I use it for idea combinations. But now:

I want to make Arabe- page 110 exactly as is given. My problem is that I think I can't! First it calls for 30g of Sorbitol. I would rather not use this.

So could I replace it with invert or glucose? It is reduced glucose I think- and if so how?

Next it calls for Passoa Liqueur- passion fruit liqueur. I can't get it here! What else could be used? Brandy? A fruit liqueur?

Another of his recipes calls for pistachio compound (amoretti No.5) It sounds yucky to me. I want natural pistachio.  Could pistachio paste replace this gram for gram? This is on page 128.

Thanks!!

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol, ie a sugar chemically changed to reduce the caloric content. I don't know if it's in there to reduce the available water (in which case some invert sugar would work) or to give a mouth colling effect to the centre.

Any passion fruit liqueur or strong sour fruit liqueur would likely substitute.

You'd need a lot more pistachio paste to substitute for the compound - compound is concentrated flavouring.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hi. I usually use Wybauw's recipes but change them according to my needs. If I want a moulded chocolate  I change the choc to cream ratio etc. Or I use it for idea combinations. But now:

Another of his recipes calls for pistachio compound (amoretti No.5) It sounds yucky to me. I want natural pistachio.  Could pistachio paste replace this gram for gram? This is on page 128.

Thanks!!

Look for a passion fruit liquor called Alize. I have used this to make a passion fruit ganache quite often.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 5 months later...

I made "Marco" today-will post a picture in a bit. I divided the recipe by three which was more than what I needed to fill 5 mold trays!! It came out a bit runny and not the same color as his picture. It is good but not the texture that is shown in the picture. I wonder if it is due to reducing the quantities by

3? Anyone know or made it?

great! And thanks prairiegirl! When you do get your book emmalish, try this recipe. The problem is that it makes a HUGE amount. I divided every ingredient by 3, filled 5 mold trays and still had some ganache left over ! I wonder if reducing quantity changes something. Look at his marco and then at mine and you will see a difference in color and texture. The recipe calls for white and milk chocolate and yet his is quite blond and mine is a bit darker. His looks a thicker texture... But ut us yummy. I guess if no :wink: one else has made these, I will have to tweak!!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Lior,

This recipe seems to have a lot of cream in comparison to the chocolate. I would get Grewelings book and convert the recipe as to how Greweling says. I think if you tweak it that way it will make a difference. If you remember when you took your course with him he had to alter a recipe. That very same recipe he had to alter was published in Candy Industry! So not every recipe that he publishes is exact for perfection!

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered the Wybauw book through inter-library loan and then will decide whether or not to purchase it outright. I don't know what it costs, but I suspect that it is a lot! I just hope that it is available through ILL.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know what it costs, but I suspect that it is a lot!  I just hope that it is available through ILL.

Amazon has it in stock right now for about $60. Otherwise it's usually around $100 new.

Is this book the first book "Fine Chocolates" or the new one "Fine Chocolates 2" that you found on Amazon? I'm looking for the new book and so far the best price I found is $98.00 (on Amazon) I did see the first one for $60.00 also.

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Chocolates-Gana...e/dp/9020975889

:cool:

Pat

Is this book the first book "Fine Chocolates" or the new one "Fine Chocolates 2" that you found on Amazon?  I'm looking for the new book and so far the best price I found is $98.00 (on Amazon)  I did see the first one for $60.00 also.

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Chocolates-Gana...e/dp/9020975889

:cool:

It's the first one, sadly. I'm looking for the 2nd as well and the best price I can find is about the same. Amazon used to have both of them for about $60 ea. and I ordered them, but a couple weeks later they sent me an email saying they were unable to get the books "at that time". Then a couple months later I saw that the first one was in stock again. I'm hoping they'll get the 2nd again as well.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down and ordered the 2nd book from Chocolat-Chocolat. Not cheap – $95cdn – but it came with a free mold, so I decided to go for it. It just came today. Gorgeous book! I've only flipped through quickly and already have seen several flavour combinations that I'm dying to try.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 5 months later...

I wish there were a way to put this so that I didn't look like quite such an unthinking beginner...but so be it.

I don't have the Wybauw book, but I did photocopy a few pages, including p.120, 'Ganache as a basic cream'. I set out to try it, and soon realized that I didn't have the quantities called for. I halved it, halved it again and then .66% it and finally had enough stuff to start.

OK. It worked out beautifully, but I don't know where my mind was. I now have 4 containers of butter ganache, like icing in texture, with no idea of what to do with it all.

Please. I know I can make little chocolate containers, like Snobinettes, and fill them and I can fill molded candies, but honestly I have no where to get rid of them all.

What else can I do with this delicious stuff? Will it harden at all? Can I freeze it? Can I somehow add extra chocolate to it to make it firmer? Can I thin it and use it on ice cream? Would it make a good icing? I've put it into the fridge for now until I know what to do with it all.

Go ahead and laugh at me, just give me some advice, please. :wacko:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wish there were a way to put this so that I didn't look like quite such an unthinking beginner...but so be it.

I don't have the Wybauw book, but I did photocopy a few pages, including p.120, 'Ganache as a basic cream'.  I set out to try it, and soon realized that I didn't have the quantities called for.  I halved it, halved it again and then .66% it and finally had enough stuff to start.

Because the recipes in the books make so much, I always start off by putting the recipe into a spreadsheet, and calculating the percentages of each ingredient. Then whenever i want to make that recipe, I can just decide exactly how many grams of the finished product I want, and scale the recipe to exactly that amount. For example:

A B

1 Cream 100

2 Chocolate 200

3 Glucose 20

4 Total 320

And then I add a column to calculate the percentages:

A B C

1 Cream 100 31%

2 Chocolate 200 63%

3 Glucose 20 6%

4 Total 320

Then you want to replace all the calculations with the actual number you generated (paste special>values is the quick trick Excel).

At this point you can just look at your percentages and multiply in your head - if you want 100 grams of ganache, you can just use the percentages. For 200 grams, you'd multiply by 2, etc. [1] Or, if you want to be able to customize to any amount, then you can replace the ingredient amounts with a formula that calculates how much you need.

so it looks like this -

A B C

1 Cream B4*C1 31%

2 Chocolate B4*C2 63%

3 Glucose B4*C3 6%

4 Total enter your desired quantity here

This probably seems really complicated if you're not used to using Excel, but it's actually a really easy formula to setup, and is really useful for ganache recipes that have a lot of ingredients in them (unlike my quick little example here).

[1] Note that if the recipe you're using already has percentages in it, you can use this same trick to easily scale down the batch - just multiply up from the percentage to the finished amount you want, rather than halving or quartering ingredient amounts.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40