• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Benoit

docsconz

The full website, including menus, is up and running...

Click here.

Funnily enough, it's a far better website than Adour got. Two months after it opened, the website still has no online menu or wine list.

I'm going to Benoit tomorrow night. They called to advise it's BYO, as they don't yet have a liquor license.

Click here.

Funnily enough, it's a far better website than Adour got. Two months after it opened, the website still has no online menu or wine list.

I'm going to Benoit tomorrow night. They called to advise it's BYO, as they don't yet have a liquor license.

There is a menu available on the Adour website. and was available the day the restaurant opened. Check under "facts" on the site. Secondly, I asked about not having the wine list available on line: they mentioned that the wine list was constantly in flux and would be hard to keep the website version up to date.

There is a menu available on the Adour website. and was available the day the restaurant opened.  Check under "facts" on the site.

Thanks...it is awfully hard to find. I'll say that the Adour and Benoit websites were clearly not designed by the same folks, and the Benoit folks got it right.

I'm having my dinner there tonight, and I'm feeling lucky that Benoit doesn't have its liquor license yet. My guess is that the food will be more than adequate in terms of quality, but I'll miss the pots of herring and potatoes and mousse au chocolat they left on the tables of Benoit in its heyday (which, according to a really gourmand French friend of mine who used to live nearby, has taken a tumble). We all know there's a certain amount of smoke and mirrors here on W. 55th St., rather like the Japanese who recreate Dutch villages, the pseudo-Art Deco caviar restaurant I once visited, and the indoor ski trails they build. On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I had calves tongue with mustard sauce (shades of the old Madison Ave. Deli's tongue with sweet and sour sauce?) which I'll pounce on tonight. Of course it much depends on where the products are from. The Bronx markets aren't Rungis, but maybe Ducasse gets around it somehow. The big question for me will be how does Benoit, NY stack up against my neighborhood Cafe d'Alsace, which is slipping in my estimation as I see now how everything is made ahead of time. Alas, is it also another Balthazar or one step beyond? Ask again in six months to a year from now.

Click here.

so - how was it?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

so - how was it?

Review here. Short answer: very good. Obviously, that's based on tasting less than 10% of the menu.

I have no data on which to judge how it compares to Balthazar.

It appears to be the lunch menu, fairly limited, compared to a place like Balthazar, but if they're turning out truly remarkable product, time will tell how well New Yorkers will take to it. I like that they're doing a 3-course prix fix for lunch at $28. 

Am I to assume that the pre-opening menu prix-fixe is not available on the current post-opening menu? I don't see it offered on their online lunch menu.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It appears to be the lunch menu, fairly limited, compared to a place like Balthazar, but if they're turning out truly remarkable product, time will tell how well New Yorkers will take to it. I like that they're doing a 3-course prix fix for lunch at $28. 

Am I to assume that the pre-opening menu prix-fixe is not available on the current post-opening menu? I don't see it offered on their online lunch menu.

It's a little confusing, because their website offers both HTML and PDF links, and the two aren't alike. The PDF is more up-to-date than the HTML. Anyhow, the following prix fixe lunch menu is available from their website, so I assume they're still offering it:

http://www.benoitny.com/benoit/PDF/Luncheon.pdf

It's a little confusing, because their website offers both HTML and PDF links, and the two aren't alike. The PDF is more up-to-date than the HTML. Anyhow, the following prix fixe lunch menu is available from their website, so I assume they're still offering it:

Thanks, oakapple. Maybe both (a la carte and prix-fixe) are offered?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Thanks, oakapple. Maybe both (a la carte and prix-fixe) are offered?

Yes, that's exactly it.

Definitely a place to go with someone, there's quite a bit that a solo diner like myself couldn't partake. I was there Wednesday from 5:30-7 and at least 8 chickens were whisked out and then returned to be cut up.

There were a couple of desserts and I'm pretty sure there was one more entree. Maybe it was a special that I overheard at a table nearby?

Maybe I was just envious about that chicken that looked and smelled soo great.

We arrived at 1:45 to a practically deserted restaurant. Greeted warmly and they asked us if we had brought anything to drink. We presented them with our six pack of Grolsch and they actually seemed delighted someone had finally brought beer instead of wine.

The space is definitely a looker. It brings your spirits up just walking in there.

Service was fine but they certainly weren't slammed so we were well taken care of.

Bread consisted of mini-baguettes that were crunchy and addictive as well as some sliced bread. Butter unfortunately was ice cube cold but delicious once it got to room temperature.

We had the charcuterie for 2 which was dynamite. Particluar standouts were the country pate and the pate en croute. The foie gras torchon was awesome too.

For the price and the portion size this might be one of the best deals in NYC right now.

The chicken for two is a show as well. It's brought out in a copper pot, presented with a HUGE bouquet (like peacock feathers) of fresh herbs sticking out of the pot and then taken back to the kitchen for carving. While the skin was not crispy the chicken itself was incredibly moist and delicious. An excellent dish and once again a pretty good bargain. Also comes with to roasted heads of garlic that can be smeared on bread (insanely delicious), chicken jus, and the thin cut fries that were forgetable.

I don't usually do dessert but the profiteroles seemed tempting and they were delicious. Once again...for the price which I think was $9 you get enough to easily feed 3-4 people. It came with some of the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had and a little fondue pot of chocolate.

We ALSO...didn't need it....had the Rum Baba. Not really my scene but I'd heard it's one of Ducasse's most famous desserts. Seemed like cold pund cake drizzled with too much rum. The home made whipped cream was delicious but...nothing to remember. We had coffee and capuccino too.

The best part of the whole deal right now is the BYO....lunch for two before tip was $127.

I will definitely be back.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

Went ther Saturday for lunch.

Nothing was bad. The Baba was ok.

Durade tartare was good. Spring vegetables very fresh and of a higher quality than most restaurants. Lobster Ravioli and lamb chop were excellent. Mashed potatoes side with lamb was outstanding. They were out of chicken by the time we got there. Nougat Glace was outstanding.

Definitely going back. Excellent bistro.