• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Replacement Beaters for Stand Mixers

paulraphael

one thing i can say is that in the video on beater blades website the paddle attachment in the mixer on the mixer on the left is not the paddle attachment that comes with that kitchen-aid, and the results of the mixer on the left are not typical of a paddle attachment that comes with a kitchen-aid, same with the sideswipe. I don't know anyone that owns any paddles except the ones that came on their mixer, if you buy a good mixer then you should not need to buy something like this, I would call my mixer's manufacturer and just have them send me a replacement paddle instead of buying one of these. Think about it if these paddle attachments were so good don't you think that kitchen-aid would already have them on their mixers.

That flat beater looks exactly like the coated beaters that ship with the lift-head KA mixers.

In my experience, standard flat beaters work just like the one demoed in his videos. When adjusted right they have about 1/2 mm clearance on the bottom, and several mm clearance up the sides of the bowls. They're not capable of scraping the sides and fully incorporating everything in the bowl.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

...  Think about it if these paddle attachments were so good don't you think that kitchen-aid would already have them on their mixers.

Interesting thought.

In the UK, the market-dominant Kenwood Chef and Major mixers (sold under the deLonghi badge in the USA) have very recently started shipping with a fourth mixer tool (in addition to the traditional dough hook, whisk and "K-beater" (somewhat equivalent to the KA paddle).

That 4th tool is a "flexible beater", its "wings" scraping the bowl sides...

Click here.

and Kenwood themselves say

Beats and creams soft ingredients together more effectively and faster than the traditional stainless steel K Beater

An interesting thought.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 1 month later...
That flat beater looks exactly like the coated beaters that ship with the lift-head KA mixers.

In my experience, standard flat beaters work just like the one demoed in his videos. When adjusted right they have about 1/2 mm clearance on the bottom, and several mm clearance up the sides of the bowls. They're not capable of scraping the sides and fully incorporating everything in the bowl.

yea after going to kitchen aids website and looking at the mixers on there i see the paddles are the same i guess i am just used to the commercial versions that have metal blades on them. I have never had a problem with standard blades in mixers incorporating all the ingredients in the bowl together. I spoke to a certified master pastry chef about the products just out of curiosity the other day and he said he only uses the standard blades found on the mixers. He also suggested that the reason ingredients are not being incorporated completely may have do do with how they are added into the bowl and maybe more time and care should be taken while mixing together ingredients. Just a suggestion.

• 6 months later...

I've been waiting for the Sideswipe that fit's my KA to become available. I find that for certain jobs (creaming butter etc) the regular white coated blade on my KA simply is not close enough to the edge of the bowl & I spend a lot of time scraping the bowl down.

Given the fact that three different companies have come up with products for this purpose I'd say that there was a need...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I've been waiting for the Sideswipe that fit's my KA to become available.  I find that for certain jobs (creaming butter etc) the regular white coated blade on my KA simply is not close enough to the edge of the bowl & I spend a lot of time scraping the bowl down. 

Given the fact that three different companies have come up with products for this purpose I'd say that there was a need...

I haven't tried any of these yet, but based on what I've seen the Beaterblade might be the best one.

I have the beater blade and it's wonderful.  :wub: The others may be comparable, but they can't be any better.  I used it all day yesterday.

Beaterblade.com for the info, and I bought it on Amazon for the free shipping.

Details? What you were making? How it compared to the regular beater? Shortcomings?

Details? What you were making? How it compared to the regular beater? Shortcomings?

One pound cake, one banana bread, one batch of heavy-on-the -nuts brownies, buttercream, and a batch of heavy batter carrot-apple-nut muffins.

I'm wondering if I'll ever use the regular beater again.

It's faster to start with. Absolutely no scraping down the bowl needed. Everything incorporated beautifully.

Shortcomings ? Um, none that I've found yet.

I did have to make a teeny little one time bowl height adjustment. That only took seconds. And I was concerned that it's all plastic, no coated metal like the other blade. But it seems really sturdy .

Considering the way it performs , my only gripe is that I don't have a stake in the company.

• 1 month later...

In Cook's Illustrated, I noted a little bit about spatula paddles.

As I recall, one of the ones they mentioned was the Side Swipe and I think the other might have been the Scrape-A-Bowl.

Then, I noted that the Chef's catalogue has a Beater Blade.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 1 month later...

Get one. :wub:

But do NOT put in only dry ingredients and choose anything other than the lowest speed.

Your flour will be in another zipcode. This thing CLEANS those bowl edges.

Damn, I love this thing.

It does everything they advertise, but better.

my one worry is that it might void the ka warranty, as it's not made by them. i asked a ka rep this question, and she said "oh! that's a really good question!" but i heard nothing back...

i still think i need one.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Sorry, but a dumb question: what are you talking about?

I have a KA and would love a beater blade that "CLEANS those bowl edges." One of the reasons I'm not a habitual user of my KA is that I get tired of scraping down the bowl.

If there's something out there that does the job, please share the details. Warranty be damned.

my one worry is that it might void the ka warranty, as it's not made by them. i asked a ka rep this question, and she said "oh! that's a really good question!" but i heard nothing back...

i still think i need one.

Well, whatever KA says, the beaterblade will not actually harm your mixer. So if your mixer requires warranty service for any reason, there's no need for you to mention that you used the thing. It should be a non-issue.

I have a KA and would love a beater blade that "CLEANS those bowl edges."  One of the reasons I'm not a habitual user of my KA is that I get tired of scraping down the bowl.

If there's something out there that does the job, please share the details. Warranty be damned.

Its a blade made by a different company that fits the KA. Its called " beater Blade". There is also one made by another company called "sideswipe blade".

Google them and you'll find a picture.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I have a KA and would love a beater blade that "CLEANS those bowl edges."  One of the reasons I'm not a habitual user of my KA is that I get tired of scraping down the bowl.

Its a blade made by a different company that fits the KA. Its called " beater Blade". There is also one made by another company called "sidesweep blade".

Google them and you'll find a picture.

It's actually called SideSwipe, not Sidesweep. And, here's the BeaterBlade web site. They're also sold on Amazon. (It's $24.95 for the one that'll fit my KA, so I'll have to piggyback another item if I want free shipping. Grrr.)

The two brands are about the same price; I haven't been able to locate anything in the way of discounts save for a 6-qt. KA model on eBay that ends in ~40 minutes. :blink: They're different designs, so I'd be curious to know how they stack up against each other.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I want one! I wonder which one is better though. After looking at both of them, I'm thinking the beater blade may do a better job........

I would also love one of those pastry/knife blades for both the KA and a 20 qt Hobart. I'm mystified at why they stopped making them!

And if they could make the beater blade for professional mixers I'd be even happier. To this day, I hate scraping down the bowl......... :laugh::angry:

I have the beater blade, and it does an excellent job of cleaning the sides & bottom of the bowl. It does require precise adjustment of your bowl-lift, though. If the lift mechanism is a hair too high, the beater blade will squeak terribly as it firmly connects with the bowl. So try it out with water first, and have a flathead screwdriver handy to make any adjustments. The height adjustment on a KA bowl-lift is located on the lift mechanism (you have to remove the bowl to see it).

My Beaterblade squeaks until it gets 'greased' up with the butter. I've tried adjusting and it didn't seem to make a difference either way. I think the Sideswipe would be a pain to clean batter off all those ridges...

For Canadians, the Beaterblade is available at Golda's Kitchen.

King Arthur Flour catalog has it here in 3 versions depending on which KA mixer you have.

Yes, except that their web site shows them as "currently unavailable," at least at the time of this writing. All three, plus their versions with the pink wings, plus the one for the Cuisinart/Viking/DeLonghi 7-qt. models, are in stock through Amazon.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer