• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch at Lu Nello (Cedar Grove)

ELA

I had lunch at Lu Nello the other day -- as always, as usual and as expected . . . Excellent!!! In every way. Service was top notch -- very attentive, prompt and courteous. Appetizers -- one of my favorites . . . spedini . . . had very nice, slight hints of lemon flavor, a little butter, which just complimented the wonderful anchovy sauce. Not overly thick or pasty, not thin and watery -- just perfect. The entree(s) were just as wonderful -- a fish special my friend had, and he raved about it (no, I didn't have a piece, LOL). I had a steak special -- excellent.

The only downside -- if I really had to find something -- the bread. I got the long, thin breadsticks which I like. However, the bread was a small loaf, in that it wasn't one of the larger, hearty types of loafs -- and, it didn't seem to be very fresh. I was a bit surprised. They served a few olives, and some pieces of parmesean cheese.

Everything here is super. Between this place and Casa Dante (Jersey City), which I haven't been to in far too long, these are two of my favorites and I'd have no problem driving a distance to either one.

Enjoy.

Eric

The Cedar Grove space was formerly occupied by Villa d'Este.

Ironically, the space that LuNello vacated in Totowa became Restaurant Earth with Anthony LoPinto for a brief spell

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo