• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Qu: Where for les classiques

Frege

Members of my party have developed a hankering for some classic French dishes, in particular, frisee salad with lardons and ouefs en gelee. Can anyone suggest good places to go for those in central Paris?

Members of my party have developed a hankering for some classic French dishes, in particular, frisee salad with lardons and ouefs en gelee.  Can anyone suggest good places to go for those in central Paris?

What a bashful bunch here. OK, I'll take the dare.

While I've had plus/minus meals there, the best salad frisee I've ever had was at Aux Lyonnais. As for other classics, how about Chez Georges, Quincy or Bofinger or updated classics at the Repaire de Cartouche.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

La Fontaine de Mars, le Gourmet des Ternes have stuff like poireaux vinaigrette. Chaumette rue Gros has suprising version of oeufs mayo stuffed with mushrooms and parsley. Chez George le jeu du mail, chez Adrienne are places for traditional entrées (French sense). L'Auberge Bressane does poulet aux morilles and crepes suzette.

Thanks John for daring and giving me the strength.

Very subjective but:

Salade frisée aux lardons oeuf pochée=Chez Georges in the 2nd

Cassoulet (Montauban style)=Violon d'Ingres

joue de cochon=Bistro Canaille in the 9th

grilled turbot, beurre Nantais=La Grille in the 10th.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Tête de veau sauce gribiche (or ravigote, I keep forgetting): Le Violon d'Ingres

Veal axoa : Chez l'Ami Jean

Raie grenobloise and other classic fish dishes : Le Divellec

Cassoulet: L'Ecureuil, l'Oie et le Canard but I haven't checked lately

Escargots au beurre d'ail : Chez Benoît

Mushroom omelette: Gérard Besson

Roast pigeon: Sensing

Steak-frites: Le Relais de Venise (L'Entrecôte)

Couscous (simple style): Chez Hamadi

Couscous (slightly fussier Moroccan style): L'Atlas