• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1st time visit to England/France, Recommendations?

Going to London during late May, the week right before Memorial Day (in America).

First time going overseas to Europe, primarily England and France.

Any personal favorites/suggestions anyone recommend?

Was thinking of checking out fish n chips, perhaps a pub or two. Though only have about 3 days here, then taking the train to Paris for 3 days (which would also be my first time visiting)

Any restaurant suggestions, sites, or even places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Was also looking at Fifteen (jamie oliver's) or even Ramsey's place for fine dining; though may not get a reservation in time.

Traveling with 4 people, all in the early 20s. Any food's good to me, from street to fine dining, even touring vineyards

Thanks in Advance

Jim

As far as the fish and chips are concerned, this thread is well worth a look http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...3&hl=fish+chips

As general foodie areas to look in try the markets, borough is fairly good. Some other people might know more about it.

Fine dining theres obviously a fair range. Ramsays place, which is royal hospital road has obviously had great reviews, but im sure if seen a few iffy ones around. Also worth a try might be Maze, which is Jason Atherton, owned by Ramsay (he must own half of londons restaurants by now), and Hibiscus which was originally raved about in town called Ludlow (which itself is worth going to) but recently moved to Mayfair.

Thats my input anyway. I dont know london incredibly well, theres plenty of people who do. Hope that helps.

Don't bother with Fifteen. Royal Hospital Road is great but expensive. Maze has had some great reviews.

If you're in town for a weekday lunch, then book Le Gavroche for the best value 2* set menu in the world including half a bottle of wine & coffee!

Bacchus do some very interesting/MG food and have a good deal on TopTable.

Maybe tea and pastries at Yauatcha followed by a beer in Cafe Boheme.

Go to Borough Market on a Thursday or Friday afternoon, or get there early on a Saturday morning - loads to try.

Go for a Sunday lunch at The Engineer and have a walk on Primrose Hill.

If you're in town for a weekday lunch, then book Le Gavroche for the best value 2* set menu in the world including half a bottle of wine & coffee!

What is the lunch deal at Le Gavroche? Their website was distinctly unhelpful...