• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Surrey/Greater London?

I live in Surbiton and still haven't been to The French Table

Ayudhia is a favourite as well as a local, and one of the best outside of Thailand in my opinion.

There's also a good Italian in Surbiton/Tolworth called Sorrento's which is always packed.

Wagamama's in Kingston is also excellent when you want something quick, fresh and v.cheap!

Hi. I live in Surbiton too and have to agree with statement that our town does lack 'fine dining for special occasions' (it's my wife 40th next week and I am struggling for suggestions). On the other hand, there are quite a few affordable places in the area for an informal meal.

Ayudhia - definitely worth a visit, I've never seen "Gewürztraminer" from a reputable producer at £12!?

Sorrento - great as well, although it would be nice if there were some Italians working there (most staff are Portuguese). Has anyone tried new Italian place down the road?

Wagamama - great place for short lunchtime snack (seating is on benches). This was the first time I had a decent "yakisoba" outside Tokyo. Still, I don't think it's cheap at all!

Frere Jacques - Nothing beats this place when it comes to having unpretentious lunch 'al fresco' in the summer. With river Thames within stones throws this is as close as you will get to feeling you're on the continent!

Carluccio - only if you are young professional couple it's fine. My wife and her "pram brigade" friends were made feel unwelcome by the staff despite being virtually empty?!

New Kam Tong - best Chinese in the area, price certainly reflects it, but you get your money's worth. Go for Lobster on noodles if you're seafood fan. Staff not particularly friendly, but they do their job.

Pizza Roma - new cafe-style joint on Fife road, with wood fired oven and authentic Sicilians who make everyone feel at home. Gets busy at 1-2pm, but it's v. cheap!

Red Rose - despite endless list of Tondoori places, this one never fails to deliver top class curry. Owner realised this and has gone up 10% recently. Sunday buffet 12-2pm at £6,95 is a steal!

Liberty Bell - for those who enjoy American influenced cuisine (I don't agree it's French / Italian) this place is fab! They were voted best in 2003 by local website.

Kings Head – former pub turned real French social club that regularly does wine tasting (properly). They have modern-style room in the back great place for private functions.

All well so far, but where do I take my wife for a 'posh' meal next week???

Hi I live in Reigate - your colleague's comments are interesting - The Dining Room is rather pretentious in my opinion, but the food is pretty good - it has a celebrity chef you know (!) [he's on Ready Steady Cook]. I think The Green Rooms has closed.

There is a huge lack of good restaurants in that area. Oh if only I lived in Ludlow...

I really like the french table, they do produce the odd hit and miss dish but normally just a case of an overpowering ingredients. The use good quality ingredients, interesting dishes and it is a lovely restaurant. Easy to reach from the station

aswell

I have never been to mcclements in Twickenham but i am going in Feb, when they faxed a sample menu there was some

really interesting offal dishes on there. Last year the owner opened "ma cuisine" a more rustic bistro a couple of doors down

Steven Drake who use to work at Drakes on the pond near Dorking (he has worked with some top chefs, Roux scholarship etc) has gotbhis own restaurant now in Ripley (previously Michels) Opening on the 21st of Jan i believe.

A fantastic pub to visit in surrey is The stephen Langton @ Friday street near dorking..I have written about it on egullet before

Richmond has a lively tapas bar called don fernandos

Guildford has an excellent thai Rumwong, it has a Khan tok room with floor seating

esher has a wonderful restaurant called The sherpa kitchen, a nepalese place that isnt like the standard ones that serve 2 nepalese dishes and the normal indian menu. Really different dishes and mostly light

an ok guide is http://www.yourbestlocal.com

Have fun

sarah xx :biggrin:

I spent 6 months just outside Reigate, and I found nothing (except for the odd French market that would appear mysteriously selling foie gras, exotic spices, and 50 gallon drums of cassoulet, and then disappear the next day).

Poppy - where is the Dining room?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

OO OO OO!!!

Long time listener first time caller.

I have to recommend Ma Cuisine, it's tremendous value for money and my local.

I've had one good meal and one poor meal at McClements (the poor one was on Valentines night and probably down to my school boy error of trying to expect something good on that night when they just jammed people in and provided a set menu).

I really like McClements though and like the way they have just been quitely ploughing their own furrow, trying to bring a bit of high end dining to Twickenham.

Glasshouse is excellent too.

I'd like to speak up for the Burnt Chair in Richmond, on Duke Street just next to the Green and the Theatre (their website).

It's a small restaurant serving food that is basically modern European but with the occasional Asian flavour and a sensitivity to texture that I would more usually associate with Chinese cuisines. The chef/owner, Weenson Oo also happens to be a Californian wine devotee and the wine list (complete with enthuiastic tasting notes) is the most interesting US list I've seen in the UK.

On a personal/sentimental note, this was the restaurant that first made me interested in eating out seriously. I came here frequently in the early nineties, and was delighted to find when I visited again last year that it was, if anything, better than I remembered it.

I really like McClements though and like the way they have just been quitely ploughing their own furrow, trying to bring a bit of high end dining to Twickenham.

Not sure if I posted about my recent lunch at McClements, but "new" chef Barry Tonks trained with Anthony Demetre at Putney Bridge and is producing some excellent food at the moment. 1st Michelin star could be on the horizon.

Not sure if I posted about my recent lunch at McClements, but "new" chef Barry Tonks trained with Anthony Demetre at Putney Bridge and is producing some excellent food at the moment. 1st Michelin star could be on the horizon.

Yeah it's been closed for the last couple of weeks for refurbishment, it re opens tomorrow night, am looking forward to checking it out again.

Edited by MobyP (log)

My meal at McClements was in the late autumn of last year, I don't have a lunch menu to refer to and I didn't take any notes, so details are a little thin on the ground. I do recall however that Twickenham was sort of on my route home from a morning meeting near Watford and I intended to arrive around 1.00pm and give Ma Cuisine a try. As it turned out, my meeting ended later than expected and I got stuck in traffic so I didn't get there until 2.00pm, by which time Ma Cuisine had stopped serving (despite a chalk board set up outside which said they were open.)

So I walked the 50 yards to McClements who agreed to serve me some lunch. It turned out that I was their only customer. I got chatting to the maitre'd (ex-LaTrompette) who explained that they are very quiet at lunch due to being located it a mainly residential area but that they do good business in the evenings. He also told me that owner John McClement no longer cooks at the restaurant, but spends his time at Ma Cuisine. Chef Barry Tonks had been recruited from Putney Bridge with the aim of winning the restaurant a Michelin star (mission accomplished!)

The food was of a very high standard. From the set lunch menu which was around £19.50 for three courses if I recall correctly I ate a technically perfect foie gras parfait with mousserons and date puree and roast mallard with sour cherry sauce and squash puree. The dessert escapes me, but I remeber enjoying it. Very good bread, an amuse bouche and pre-dessert (both good, but alas no details) coffee, water, one glass of wine and service all came to approx. £30.00.

Service was incredibly professional. I was the only person in the room, yet the maitre'd and waitress behaved as if they had a full dining room. They didn't chat or make preparations for the evening service, but focused their attention on serving me. The room was in desperate need of a refurb so I am pleased to hear that they have gone ahead with their plans to re-decorate.

FT Article on Ma Cuisine and McClements

Thanks andy, sounds good. I will report on my visit to McClements at the end of feb

Yesterday we went and had a peak at Steve Drakes new restaurant in Ripley

surrey. He was at @ Drakes on the pond in Abinger. http://www.drakesonthepond.com

The Ripley restaurant use to be Michels which we never managed to visit for a meal but heard good reports about.

info on him from roux scholarship previous winners:

2001 Steve Drake of Drake's on the Pond, near Dorking

Trained with Marc Veyrat at the Auberge de L'Eridan by Lake Annecy

Drakes is suppose to open on the 21st, a sample menu in the window looks interesting. typical that i cant remember(it was a sunday after all) but i should be on their mailing list so will post any info i find.

The interior looks similar previous restaurant so unless they redecorating in the next few days i guess its the same.

There looks to be a beautiful walled garden at the rear which looked stunning in the winter sunshine, it would be great for al fresco summer dining

sarah xx

Edited by sarah w (log)

I received a mailout from Drakes in Ripley Surrey(formerly Michel's).I have condensed the information so I didn't have to type to much ! Apologies for any of my typo's...

Steve achieved a Michelin star as head chef in his last position (the only starred restaurant in surrey)

Steve has previously worked with many of the country's finest chef's: incl. nico ladenis,MPW,Tom aikens,William Drabble, also trained with Marc Veyrat

The restaurant will be offering modern French fine dining with a worldwide wine list favouring the regions of France

The restaurant will be open for lunch Tues-Friday & Dinner Tues-Saturday

Offering a set lunch from from £16 for 2 courses and a set priced a la carte available at lunch and dinner from £30 for 2 courses as well a menu gourmand.

For reservations please telephone 01483 22477

SAMPLE A LA CARTE MENU

Starters

Roasted Langoustine, Braised Beef Carpaccio, Langoustine and Truffle Mousse

Quail Ballontine, Poached Breast, Confit Leg, Game chips with an orange and hazelnut dressing.

Assiette of seafood with cauliflower puree and Beurre Rouge

Ratte Potato Marinaded and wrapped in spinach with cep mushroom casserole

Terrine of Foie Gras, Carrot and Cardamom Puree, Warm toasted Brioche

MAIN COURSES

Roasted Seabass, Poached Fennel, Saffron Potatoes and Bouillabaisse Sauce

Pan Fried John Dory on a leek Fricassee, Crab Ravioli, Crushed Potato and Red wine Sauce

Roasted Gressingham Duck Breast with Braised Thigh, Confit Drumstick, Wild mushroom Mousse.

seared Foie Gras and celeriac Puree

Lamb Saddle cooked in a coriander and mint crumb, Boulanger Potato, Braised Shoulder

White coco beans and Lamb Jus

Beef Fillet with Thyme fondant, Butter spinach and a shallot and ale sauce

Courgette Filled with carrot and Cardamom puree, caramelized onion and fennel, Crushed Potato with leek butter sauce

DESSERTS

Creme Renversee with Granny Smith sorbet and Dried apple Tuile

Chocolate Tart, Orange and Almond Brandy snap, Chocolate Chantilly and Mandarin Sorbet

Pineapple Roasted with Malibu, Coconut Ice Cream, Macerated Sultanas and a coconut Biscuit

Pears Poached in wine with cinnamon Parfait and roasted Pistachio Nuts

A selection of cheeses

sarah x

Sarah,

that sounds pretty interesting, but isn't £30 upwards for 2 courses quite steep for a regional restaurant of this kind?

Then again, maybe I'm just becoming complacent from living too close to chez bruce.

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

It is quite steep but with not much choice in the area and the fact Ripley is quite affluent i guess its the norm ??

I will have to sample and the decide...Just need to find some money !

We are on the waiting list for Valentines, £55 menu gourmond. The credit card will be ready & waiting

sarah x

• 4 years later...

went to Drakes on Friday evening, very disappointing.

The main dining room looks like it was designed by my mum, and decorated by me.

Not a bad looking menu, but it couldn't deliver: chewy duck, dull mullet and oceans of spume frothed over everything. Beef cheek quite good but not enough to prevent us feeling that the place is a bit of a dog.

The winelist has more holes than a stripper's fishnets; my local wetherspoons has a better selection.

Why on earth this place has a michelin star is beyond me. It's everything we should be turning our back on in restaurants.

Most hated: the waiter blatantly interrupting us mid conversation to routinely ask if everything was OK.

If you want somewhere decent to eat in Surrey, try the French table in Surbiton - that's a cracker.

went to Drakes on Friday evening, very disappointing. 

The main dining room looks like it was designed by my mum, and decorated by me. 

Not a bad looking menu, but it couldn't deliver: chewy duck, dull mullet and oceans of spume frothed over everything.  Beef cheek quite good but not enough to prevent us feeling that the place is a bit of a dog.

The winelist has more holes than a stripper's fishnets; my local wetherspoons has a better selection.

Why on earth this place has a michelin star is beyond me.  It's everything we should be turning our back on in restaurants.

Most hated:  the waiter blatantly interrupting us mid conversation to routinely ask if everything was OK.

If you want somewhere decent to eat in Surrey, try the French table in Surbiton - that's a cracker.

Or the Westerly in Reigate, very good unfussy food just got a bib gourmand and won remy martin best restaurant award, or one of there awards, think its been mentioned on another thread, Jay Raynor also gave it a great review, Drakes use to be very good a few years back

Thats my first post after being an avid observer, good afternoon everybody

• 1 month later...

I went to the Westerly a couple of weeks ago - as you will observe I haven't rushed to report. I was disappointed - not by the food per se; for me, the restaurant just didn't live up to the reviews it has had. The food is good, well-cooked and made with very good ingredients. The stafff are friendly and service fine - though they like to serve their fino sherry warm...

However with the exception of my bourride whch had superb ingredients and was beautifully cooked, I could have cooked everything on the menu myself, and possibly a little better. It's a good neighbourhood restaurant, and we don't have many of those in Uk, but you can't just pop down to it, as it's so booked up. That's not its fault, it's doing a good job. As regular posters will know I love Arbutus in London - the food is like Arbutus-lite - it does in two dimensions what Arbutus does in three.

We went to Drake's in Ripley about two weeks ago and had one of the best meals I have eaten for ages. I think they have really upped their game and we had the tasting menu with the sommelier's choice of wine and I couldn't fault it.

I think the decor is gradually being done but I think it is probably a listed building.

The decor is subjective - it has a really lovely garden for pre dinner drinks or after lunch coffee in better weather.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - we love it and have eaten at some pretty good places in our time and I believe that it is Surrey's only Michelin starred restaurant.

• 2 months later...

We are heading up to Surrey shortly (Kingston/Richmond) and are looking for recommendations for a good lunch on Sunday (does not need to be "Sunday lunch").

Thanks,

Phil

We are heading up to Surrey shortly (Kingston/Richmond) and are looking for recommendations for a good lunch on Sunday (does not need to be "Sunday lunch").

Thanks,

Phil

Current favourites for this Richmond local are:

The Duke - gastropub

The Bingham - upmarket with river views

Gaucho - steak by the river

La Buvette in Richmond. Eat in the courtyard unless it's pissing down like today.

Petersham nurseries Cafe in erm Petersham is the best food for miles. You might struggle to get in so hurry.

The Petersham Hotel has a fantastic view across the river. Pretty good food too.

I think Gaucho is overpriced for what it is. You're paying for the no doubt extortionate - can't spell that - rents for a resto on the river. Naff concept too.

Have a pint of Youngs in The White Cross, Richmond again, before lunch and don't bother with Kingston. It's a shopping precinct.

You could also take the river boat to Richmond from Hampton Court or vice versa. Weather dependent though. It really is awful out there today!