• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the giant peppermill ridiculous?

vandan

I love it when the server comes anxiously with peppermill in hand eager to "serve" and you haven't even tasted the dish!

YES! This is probably my biggest restaurant pet peeve. Drives me bonkers.

So right, its so dated, dated, dated. Put the things way.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Apparently it isn't just you, but I'm with BrentKulman, I like fresh ground pepper on my salad and I don't necessarily need a pepper mill on my table. Besides, as Toliver said, it is an anti theft thing. I can't count how many salt and pepper shakers left the restaurant each week when worked in one.

• 2 years later...
I love it when the server comes anxiously with peppermill in hand eager to "serve" and you haven't even tasted the dish!

YES! This is probably my biggest restaurant pet peeve. Drives me bonkers.

So right, its so dated, dated, dated. Put the things way.

Jmahl

Then tell people to stop asking for it! When an occasional guest comes in

and IMMEDIATELY asks for *The Pepper Experience* when the salad course arrives

all my guessing is resolved and I know immediately the sum of their past culinary misfortune.

I forget who it was, but I remember some comedian a few years ago calling the pepper-grinder guy "the peppier," pronounced "zee peppeeyay," of course. :cool:

I remember this skit -- "the peppier even moves from restaurant to restaurant"

I'm pretty sure it wasn't SNL. Almost Live, perhaps? Kids in the Hall? Couldn't find it with a quick Google.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

It was Kids in the Hall, with Dave Foley as the Peppier. Ah, wasted youth...

I, personally, hate the giant peppermill. There's the aesthetics angle, and then there's the assumption that I want pepper, and the other assumption that the dish in question is not properly seasoned.

Yeesh. Time to put the giant peppermills out to pasture, or better yet, collect them all and set up some kind of modern-art-giant-peppermill-forest installation.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

A waiter brought one to our table once. I responded by saying "Why, did the chef screw up when seasoning the dish?" He just walked away...

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I really don't know why everyone seems so negative about this. After a few drinks, the idea of a giant peppermill seems perfectly logical!

Here is a prime example from Mister Parker Restaurant in Palm Springs.

Satisfied customers

5476465439_7acd7dfa30_z.jpg

Would you accept pepper from this man?

5476214351_405754ea00_z.jpg

I really don't know why everyone seems so negative about this. After a few drinks, the idea of a giant peppermill seems perfectly logical!

Here is a prime example from Mister Parker Restaurant in Palm Springs.

This reminds me of an old joke with the punchline, "Sir, I sold the small 'shoulder massager' for $10; I sold the large 'shoulder massager' for $20; and I sold your thermos full of coffee for $100."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 2 weeks later...