• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes - Pork and chocolate, together at last!

I dunno about a Wegman's or Whole Foods, but when I went Googling to see if there were any food co-ops in OKC, I found this intriguing organization. Looks like a hybrid between a CSA and an old-school food coop. And they do carry peanut butter ...  :biggrin:

Yeah, according to my wife OK actually has a lot of co-ops. What do I know... :unsure:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

They really are friendly (despite occasionally threatening to beat you with a large stick :smile: )...

Sorry, I'm just catching up....the Herwig's folks sound like every other Austrian I've ever met...friendly, funny, and not unwilling to use a stick to make their point. The food looks awesome! Almost makes me wish I had a hangover, it looks like the perfect grub for it....

OK, this morning I decided to go to Starbucks to give the new Pike Place Blend a try. It's not bad---reminds me of the Dunkin' Donuts coffee, actually. It is a definite improvement, in my mind, to their previous roasts: I don't take cream or sugar in my coffee, so I always found their original style too roasted to work in anything but espresso drinks. This stuff is more drinkable straight.

I still owe you pictures from yesterday's lunch, dinner, and chocolate adventures: hopefully sometime today IG will be happy again. Last night's dinner was BLTs, and I also made some taco/nacho meat to freeze. Then I coated the truffles I started earlier in the week. I also started some pbjs from Greweling. So, lots of catching up to do, and this weekend is going to be a culinary roller coaster ride of pork and chocolate insanity! :biggrin:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

and this weekend is going to be a culinary roller coaster ride of pork and chocolate insanity!

Can't wait!!!!

ever best,

Leslie

Leslie Crowell

it will all be fine in the end. if it isn't fine, it isn't the end.

Before the weekend extravaganza hits, better finish off the kitchen tour: OK, here come the cabinets. If you reference back to the original photograph of the kitchen in this post, we are starting above the refrigerator and working our way around:

Above the fridge: misc. seldom-used dry goods

gallery_28660_5872_36365.jpg

Next to the microwave: oils, vinegars and the all-important fish sauce

gallery_28660_5872_16437.jpg

On the counter right below that: citrus and sea salt

gallery_28660_5872_94581.jpg

Above the oven and microwave: sugars, salt, starch, etc.

gallery_28660_5872_58255.jpg

Next to that, the main dry-goods cabinet

gallery_28660_5872_25600.jpg

Phew. More in another post...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When I get to my office and get my laptop hooked up, this is what greets me every morning:

gallery_28660_5872_112036.jpg

You might think based on this that I like bacon... you'd be right! The image on the left monitor is here, and on the right is from here.

Obviously, then, one of the charcuterie items this week is a fresh batch of bacon: here is the mise en place (I did this on Saturday so I could smoke next Sunday and you would get to see the finished product)

gallery_28660_5872_75979.jpg

I'm actually only curing half the belly this week: the other half will be used in another, yet-to-be-determined, cooking project.

Depending on when my l'Epicerie order comes in, I may also make some Hungarian Paprika Sausages, as well as some Hot-Smoked Andouille. These are all recipes from Ruhlman and Polcyn's Charcuterie (eG thread here).

I seem to remember hearing about another aerospace engineer turned charcutier (or whatever the italian word is for it). I believe he had a relatively famous son. Batali was his name, I think... :wink:

I seem to remember hearing about another aerospace engineer turned charcutier (or whatever the italian word is for it).  I believe he had a relatively famous son.  Batali was his name, I think... :wink:

lol, I have a few years to go before I can retire to my own "Salumi" ... :smile:

Lunch today doesn't really need any photos: I had a chicken queso burrito from the Qdoba across the street: they are a lot like a Chipotle, if you have those where you live. Basic chain burrito place. We have a local "taqueria" a few blocks down that makes burritos, but they are crappy, so when I need my fix, Qdoba is where I go. I think the queso sauce has crack in it: that's the only explanation for its addictive nature. I have to be careful not to eat the whole burrito, though: it has your bad stuff quota for the week, all wrapped up in one tasty tortilla :biggrin: . I prefer to get my bad stuff at dinner...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Speaking of the cupboards: here is the last batch---Picking up where I left of in my previous cabinet post:

Above the sink: potatoes, onions, nuts, bread

gallery_28660_5872_68559.jpg

Here is a closeup of the nuts: they deserve it!

gallery_28660_5872_86.jpg

Next to that is just plates, etc. After that is the Band-aid cabinet. There is other stuff in there to, but the important thing is the Band-aids:

gallery_28660_5872_111140.jpg

Finally, the spice rack I put in when I ran out of cabinet space for them:

gallery_28660_5872_5157.jpg

And I think that's pretty much it where it comes to food in my apartment... did I miss anything?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Speaking of the cupboards: here is the last batch---Picking up where I left of in my previous cabinet post:

Above the sink: potatoes, onions, nuts, bread

gallery_28660_5872_68559.jpg

Here is a closeup of the nuts: they deserve it!

gallery_28660_5872_86.jpg

Next to that is just plates, etc. After that is the Band-aid cabinet. There is other stuff in there to, but the important thing is the Band-aids:

gallery_28660_5872_111140.jpg

Finally, the spice rack I put in when I ran out of cabinet space for them:

gallery_28660_5872_5157.jpg

And I think that's pretty much it where it comes to food in my apartment... did I miss anything?

Dude,

You are one organized man. Even your spices are neat. My kitchen was, and never will be, that in shape. We do have the same brand of baking powder. Great blog, Chris, great blog.

Hmm. Engineer. Aerospace engineer! With tidy shelves! Chris, you're doomed. I foresee a life of being the design engineer who sets up his plans and specs just so, then shouts at those crazy R&D types who tack on impossible additions, and those wild test pilots who try things your designs were never intended to do.

Doomed, I tell ya. :laugh:

But I do admire your cupboards! :cool:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dinner tonight was tacos: I was going to make the shells from scratch, but my masa harina smelled off (I haven't used it in months), so I used store-bought shells. I used the Cook's Illustrated recipe for the filling (surprised? :biggrin: ): I made that in advance last night and stored it off in small ramekins in the freezer: one double-batch makes a half-dozen or so dinners. I like mine with red onion, avocado, lime, and sharp cheddar. I also had some Rancho Gordo posole. I'm not sure I made it correctly though: it ended up pretty firm. What is the texture of posole supposed to be? I soaked it for three days in the fridge, then simmered it for two hours today, and it seemed a bit too al dente, but maybe that's what it supposed to be like. Thoughts?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I also had some Rancho Gordo posole. I'm not sure I made it correctly though: it ended up pretty firm. What is the texture of posole supposed to be? I soaked it for three days in the fridge, then simmered it for two hours today, and it seemed a bit too al dente, but maybe that's what it supposed to be like. Thoughts?

Chris- great blog, amazing kitchen especially considering you are in an apartment, and love the labels.

I think of posole as the stew/soup and hominy as the corn ingredient, but I see Rancho Gordo calls it posole corn. Perhaps more "corn for posole". Anyway, I have not done it from scratch but all the versions I have tasted the corn is definitely not mushy, but has tooth resistance. RG mentions 3 hours of simmering on their site, so maybe just more time, next time. Missed you on the EG server down day!

I got ZERO results for Wegman's, but the City Planning Commission is doing studies for a Whole Foods downtown.

AFAIK, Wegmans is strictly a Mid-Atlantic phenomenon -- New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. They (and Whole Foods Market, BTW) regularly land on Fortune's annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list.

Oh, grind-your-own peanut butter is a time-honored staple at just about every food co-op I've ever visited or belonged to, and many natural foods groceries as well. For instance, the OB (Ocean Beach) People's Co-op here in San Diego has their peanut butter grinder set up in their bulk foods section. The routine is usually just like that for grind-your-own bulk coffee--you dump the (pre-roasted) peanuts in the top, catch the freshly-ground butter in one of the supplied containers as it comes out the spout at the bottom, then you bring your container to the cash register to be weighed and priced. Because the co-op does a brisk business in this stuff, and you grind it on the spot, you know it's super-fresh, with nothing in it but peanuts--plus whatever else you might decide to mix in once you get it home, of course.

At the other end of the spectrum, another purveyor of gourmet nut spreads with all sorts of interesting stuff mixed in is Spread, here in San Diego (which also runs a very avant-cuisine vegetarian restaurant in addition to its nut spread business.

Re: peanut butter gone savory--the idea may take some getting used to for us Americans who think of peanut butter as sweet, but just consider savory peanut sauces from Southeast Asia, such as Indonesian gado-gado or Vietnamese nuoc leo, and then the idea will be much easier to swallow. So to speak. :biggrin:

Can't even imagine these sauces. Sounds like it's time for a visit to one of my local Vietnamese restaurants. What dishes would I find nuoc leo in?

(The one Indonesian restaurant I'm aware of in Philadelphia is the local outpost of Penang, an East Coast chain of Indonesian restaurants. It's in Chinatown. But I do have a friend -- a retired Drexel math prof who's also a native Kansas Citian -- whose partner is Indonesian, so maybe I could impress upon him to give up the secret...)

The spice shop I patronize, The Spice Corner on 9th Street, has a peanut butter grinder too. Otherwise, I'd probably have to travel all the way up to Mount Airy in the northwest part of the city to find one.

(most of the tour of Chris' precision-engineered kitchen deleted)

Next to the microwave: oils, vinegars and the all-important fish sauce

gallery_28660_5872_16437.jpg

Unfortunately, as partner and roommate both have blood pressure issues, fish sauce is an absolute no-no in my repertoire. Given what I've seen of the sodium content of most Asian sauces, I'm beginning to wonder whether anyone on a sodium-restricted diet can eat most East or Southeast Asian cooking. (I don't recall this subject coming up in our tag-team foodblog, mizducky.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Chris, when I lived in New Mexico, the families I knew made fantastic posole, using dried corn that was slow-cooked for several hours at least, until it "pops." Lots of them used rice-cookers and had the corn simmering in broth with pork and red chile from morning til dinner. I think some posole corn is "half-cooked" and may take less time, but my memory is that with the real thing you have to cook it until it bursts, which was usually a matter of five or six hours.

Chris, when I lived in New Mexico, the families I knew made fantastic posole, using dried corn that was slow-cooked for several hours at least, until it "pops." Lots of them used rice-cookers and had the corn simmering in broth with pork and red chile from morning til dinner. I think some posole corn is "half-cooked" and may take less time, but my memory is that with the real thing you have to cook it until it bursts, which was usually a matter of five or six hours.

OK, thanks for the tips. I thought I had read someplace that 2 hours was the time to shoot for, but I don't know where that was. I will know better next time: I have a lot of posole (the ingredient) left!

I don't know the names of any of the sauces I make, but I have a couple that use peanut butter as the peanut flavoring agent. They are primarily Vietnamese and Thai-inspired, I think. Nothing on the menu this week, I am afraid.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

OK, I just finished pre-bottoming and cutting the PB&Js. Holy cow, those are going to be a real adventure to dip tomorrow! (For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, PB&Js are a two-layer chocolate-covered bon-bon. The top layer is a raspberry jelly and the bottom layer is a peanut butter and chocolate mixture called "gianduja." They taste remarkably like a rich peanut butter and jelly sandwich. To "pre-bottom" is to pre-coat the bottom with chocolate to make them easier to handle. And they have to be cut because you make them in a large sheet, then cut them apart before dipping in the chocolate coating.) The jelly is softer than I expected it to be: I don't know if I screwed it up, or if that's the way it is supposed to be, but I am worried that when I try to dip them the jelly will start to slide around or dissolve into the chocolate.

Well, to calm my frustration, I am currently enjoying a 5:1 gin martini: Tanqueray, Noilly Prat, 8 drops of Fee Bros. orange bitters, and two olives from the olive bar at Wegmans (I don't recall the variety). It is helping... :biggrin:

Mise en place:

gallery_28660_5872_76804.jpg

Finished martini:

gallery_28660_5872_22274.jpg

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Time warp!! It is now lunchtime on Thursday...

gallery_28660_5872_48876.jpg

Despite the name, I almost never get sushi there. Stay away from the sushi this far from a body of water... instead, I get the lunch combo, which comes with soup:

gallery_28660_5872_77082.jpg

Katsudon, and four banchan (that is the term, right?):

gallery_28660_5872_59700.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_51975.jpg

The Katsudon is a breaded pork cutlet on rice with a bunch of veggies. Total cost (not including tea): $6.95. And that's a big bowl of Katsudon. If you're in SC and you're hungry, cheap, and picky, this is your place.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Phew, we are almost to the present! Here is tonight's dinner... tacos! I have loved tacos since I was a kid. Taco Hell, Ortega, Store Brand, you name it, I love them. Of course, as you might image, when I make them at home I use the Cook's Illustrated recipe for the meat, fresh ground, of course (and aggressively trimmed---who wants greasy tacos?), and I love avocados and red onions, to say nothing of the Cabot extra sharp cheddar. What's not to like? :biggrin:

gallery_28660_5872_4500.jpggallery_28660_5872_16149.jpggallery_28660_5872_6508.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_3943.jpggallery_28660_5872_8076.jpggallery_28660_5872_6935.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_12089.jpggallery_28660_5872_5516.jpggallery_28660_5872_17990.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_4377.jpggallery_28660_5872_5920.jpggallery_28660_5872_1046.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_8661.jpggallery_28660_5872_12615.jpggallery_28660_5872_3395.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_8608.jpggallery_28660_5872_2163.jpggallery_28660_5872_6597.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_8182.jpggallery_28660_5872_13966.jpggallery_28660_5872_712.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_5588.jpggallery_28660_5872_5310.jpggallery_28660_5872_18474.jpg

I include this shot of avocados because avocados are wonderful, and they deserve the attention : :smile:

gallery_28660_5872_56173.jpg

Here is the finished posole:

gallery_28660_5872_62117.jpg

And finally, the tacos (or at least, the fixins'):

gallery_28660_5872_22673.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I have been working on the Gingerbread truffles from Shotts' book: I finished them last night (they took me three days to finish!). They taste better than they look, I promise!!! :wacko:

The basic mise en place for the ganache:

gallery_28660_5872_52088.jpg

I watched "Top Chef" while I coated:

gallery_28660_5872_31616.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_16786.jpggallery_28660_5872_12163.jpggallery_28660_5872_12292.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_9975.jpggallery_28660_5872_13514.jpggallery_28660_5872_2449.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_6893.jpggallery_28660_5872_13031.jpggallery_28660_5872_6948.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_5874.jpggallery_28660_5872_7220.jpggallery_28660_5872_16778.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_16275.jpggallery_28660_5872_6026.jpg

And some more action shots, courtesy of my wife:

gallery_28660_5872_17304.jpggallery_28660_5872_7710.jpggallery_28660_5872_16389.jpg

gallery_28660_5872_14390.jpggallery_28660_5872_23713.jpggallery_28660_5872_22793.jpg

Finally, the finished truffles:

gallery_28660_5872_31708.jpg

I really need to work on how to coat them: the tempered white chocolate set up almost immediately, but I was hoping to roll them all in the puffed rice at one time, at the end. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. Doh! I need practice! :huh:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org