• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chris Hennes - Pork and chocolate, together at last!

OK, I give! What is a grilled sticky? Is it a grilled sticky bun? I went to college in Pennsylvania and thought I knew all the local jargon...but apparently I still have lots to learn.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

OK, I give!  What is a grilled sticky?  Is it a grilled sticky bun?  I went to college in Pennsylvania and thought I knew all the local jargon...but apparently I still have lots to learn.

Yeah, this is a State College-specific bit of jargon... they are just a caramel roll (a.k.a. a "Sticky bun") formed, it appears, by rolling up the dough into a pinwheel, slicing it into 2 inch segments, putting all those segments into a large rectangular cookie sheet, and baking it, so each bun comes out 2" thick and rectangular. They are then "grilled" in some way that no one actually seems to know. Topped with a scoop of vanilla Creamery ice cream, it is a local "delicacy." :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

They don't grill it in front of you, so I don't know the mechanics of it, but there isn't a crisp layer, so I wouldn't be surprised if "grilled" was code for "held in the oven until ordered."
They are then "grilled" in some way that no one actually seems to know. Topped with a scoop of vanilla Creamery ice cream, it is a local "delicacy." :smile:

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes. I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris. :wink:

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes.  I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris.  :wink:

Maybe at some places, but they would have to have a supernaturally fast grill man in the back to get me the sticky as fast as they did this morning. :smile: Do you recall the texture when you had one? The one this morning could easily have been microwaved, it had no crispness to it at all, like I would expect from grilling.

It's fun taking input from everyone here about things they want me to eat this week: keep the suggestions coming! :biggrin: I may complain about it, but I'll try to do it!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I mentioned in my first post yesterday that my days in State College were numbered. Well, now it's official: this summer I am moving to Oklahoma City. A few months ago I started an eGullet forum thread on places to eat in the OKC area, so if you live there and haven't checked it out yet, head on over and lend me a hand! One of the most exciting aspects of OKC, as far as I am concerned, is the prospect of having a gigantic garden someplace with a really long growing season. This summer I am going to have to live vicariously through the denizens of the eGullet gardening thread since I can't grow my own this year  :sad: . But next year I will be back with a vengeance! Rumor has it I can grow just about everything there is to grow in the OKC region, but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

I'm glad to hear that you've found rewarding work in the Southern Midwest and in a place where you can grow food for most of the year.

But Oklahoma City has never really floated my boat. I don't know whether it's the conservatism of the place or the flatness, but I've tended to regard the place much as I regard Wichita, the next sizable city to the north on I-35: I guess it will do, but there's better places to live.

However, you will have access to good barbecue -- the best barbecue joint in my native Kansas City now was co-founded by an expat Okie -- and distances in the Midwest being what they are, you can always tool down to Dallas-Fort Worth, a mere 150 or so miles to the south, for a weekend's worth of the Big City Experience, or take a slightly longer trek north-northeast up I-35 to my hometown. As you are a fan of the pig, I would highly recommend the latter, for short of finding employment in metropolitan Kansas City, you are likely to come no closer than you are now to the epicenter of American barbecue in your future career.

(I used to say that while I would always be proud to be from KC, I would never return there to live. After going back for my 30th high school reunion in 2006, I am no longer firmly convinced I couldn't live there again -- it's changed in several important ways without losing its special charms. But as it has no rail transit yet, it's probably still off my short list.)

Anyway, congrats again! Don't forget to duck -- or head to the bathroom if you don't have a cellar -- when the tornadoes hit in the spring!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I mentioned in my first post yesterday that my days in State College were numbered. Well, now it's official: this summer I am moving to Oklahoma City. A few months ago I started an eGullet forum thread on places to eat in the OKC area, so if you live there and haven't checked it out yet, head on over and lend me a hand! One of the most exciting aspects of OKC, as far as I am concerned, is the prospect of having a gigantic garden someplace with a really long growing season. This summer I am going to have to live vicariously through the denizens of the eGullet gardening thread since I can't grow my own this year  :sad: . But next year I will be back with a vengeance! Rumor has it I can grow just about everything there is to grow in the OKC region, but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

Sorry to burst your bubble, Chris, but asparagus crowns take at least one year to get established, and you don't really see a good crop for 2-3 years, but oh, boy, are they worth waiting for!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

... but I'm most excited about tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries. I'm already plotting a smoke house and a greenhouse, as well. This is gonna rock! (Sorry I won't be joining you in Philly, Katie and Sandy---no job offers there!)

Sorry to burst your bubble, Chris, but asparagus crowns take at least one year to get established, and you don't really see a good crop for 2-3 years, but oh, boy, are they worth waiting for!

No worries, no bubbles burst here! The same is true of the strawberries and blackberries. The greenhouse and smokehouse are probably a few years away as well, but I'm hoping this move is pretty long-term.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I hope I'm not stepping on toes if I answer a question or two that was before Chris's time here. La Bamba went out of business many years ago and is now occupied by Mario and Luigi's. That's been in place there for at least 15 years, I believe.

Chris - another question. I've seen that several restaurants in the area are now featuring pork from Hogs Galore, which is about 10 or so miles from here. Do you know anything about this outfit? Tried any of their pork offerings?

no, the one I'm thinking of would still have been in business in 2001 - it was up from where the McDonalds on College ave was - they really were burritos as big as my head! and for under 3 bucks!!! :sad:

no, the one I'm thinking of would still have been in business in 2001 - it was up from where the McDonalds on College ave was - they really were burritos as big as my head! and for under 3 bucks!!! :sad:

Oh - I remember that one and I ate there a few times, too. Nope, it's gone as well. Not sure what's in its place. I'm thinking **maybe** that's around where they just put a new student apt building and it has a Starbucks and a DP Dough on the bottom floor, and that took over where everything else used to be.

I think they have 'grilling' instructions on the boxes.  I'd bet that they're done on a flat top or in a pan, probably with some fat (butter?).

Thanks for taking one for the team, Chris.  :wink:

Maybe at some places, but they would have to have a supernaturally fast grill man in the back to get me the sticky as fast as they did this morning. :smile: Do you recall the texture when you had one? The one this morning could easily have been microwaved, it had no crispness to it at all, like I would expect from grilling.

It's fun taking input from everyone here about things they want me to eat this week: keep the suggestions coming! :biggrin: I may complain about it, but I'll try to do it!

Here in Lancaster a grilled sticky bun is a diner item as well. And it is sliced in half and grilled on the flat top with butter. A good grill guy will get it nice and crunchy and brown on the outside while still being soft and sweet in the middle. I must say that I have never seen them served with ice cream here.

Oklahoma City will be much different than State College. I hope in good ways. If you mentioned this forgive me for asking. Are you from PA or did you just arrive at State College for grad school?

Definite crispness. And we had good service. I don't know what happened that night -- it was all good!

Your book case is funny--did anyone else notice the pasta maker being used as a bookend? :laugh:

Does it mean you use it so much you need to keep it handy, or that it's barely ever used, but heck, it makes a really good bookend!

Hah! I use the pasta maker reasonable frequently, as I love fresh pasta. I want one of those contraptions that fits on the KA stand mixer, but for now, this one is great. :smile:

Oklahoma City will be much different than State College. I hope in good ways.  If you mentioned this forgive me for asking. Are you from PA or did you just arrive at State College for grad school?

I'm from Minnesota originally, but my wife is from PA. I'm here for grad school, but in all honesty Philly is just about my favorite city, even before I met the eG gang there. There is a great food culture in this state, even in State College. I can't think of another town this size that has a Wegmans as well as three quite good restaurants.

As a U. Texas alum, I must express shock and sympathy for your necessity to move into Okie territory.  Fortunately for you, an eG brewer, Okbrewer, lives down there and keeps the place civilized by making good beer.

lol, I like TX a lot, esp. Dallas. Dallas is very close to OKC so I hope to get down there pretty frequently. If there is not an eG community there now, there will be soon!!

OK, I hope this all sounded reasonable: I just got back from dinner at Zola's. Did I mention that I like this place? Any place where I order a Negroni and instead of saying "Huh?" the waiter says "Do you have a gin preference?" is good in my book! I'll give you the rundown of the dinner tomorrow: I'm not entirely sober now! I like Negronis a lot... :biggrin: Talk to you all tomorrow---keep the questions and suggestions coming.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

:sad: Chris! So sad you won't be joining us here in the city of Brotherly Sandwiches. I was looking forward to having a new buddy for "Foodie calls". :biggrin: This is most distressing news indeed. I hope Oklahoma City works out just as you wish. You'll certainly be able to garden there. I suspect houses with yards are a lot easier to come by out that way.

It's taken me a day to catch up with your blog. I've been in bed since yesterday with some inexplicable stomach virus or something. Fever, chills and general ickyness of all sorts. I missed the grenadine making until now. Looks like it came out just perfect! Really not so difficult, right? Make yourself a Jack Rose for me. I won't be drinking for a couple of days. icon8.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As you have plenty of time to plan your garden, take a tip from someone who learned the hard way--plant your strawberries in raised beds. REALLY raised beds. Otherwise your back will become prematurely aged, not from picking, but from trying to keep the beds weed free year after year after year. Good luck.

As you have plenty of time to plan your garden, take a tip from someone who learned the hard way--plant your strawberries in raised beds.  REALLY raised beds.  Otherwise your back will become prematurely aged, not from picking, but from trying to keep the beds weed free year after year after year.  Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! It was definitely painful work in our old garden: both the picking and the weeding. I'm thinking of doing basically the whole garden as a series of raised beds, for that reason.

On to last night's dinner... sorry, no photos:

Baked oyster and crabmeat, key lime aioli: Three pieces, served on the half shell. Tasted like a crabcake that had an oyster in the middle. The aioli was a bit too sweet, IMO, but I think that about a lot of things, so it may just be me :smile: .

Salad Niçoise: A bit deconstructed, with a nice seared tuna and crisp haricots verts. I love olives, which was my main reason for ordering this salad. I was not disappointed.

Thai style littleneck clams: Noodles, bok choy, sausage, and eggplant, in a lemongrass broth. I didn't get much of a Thai vibe from this dish, but it was delicious nevertheless.

For dessert I had an espresso and a glass of port, so I can't comment on their dessert selection. All told, a good meal, though not the best I have had there. The menu changes weekly, I think, so there is always something new to try.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

hey chris-

i'm mostly a lurker, ( except for a few posts on anything "philly") but had to let you know how much i am enjoying your blog; i also always enjoy your posts on a regular basis. so, just a few things:

thanks for explaining how you make your photos turn out so beautifully.

i love how you label your bottles.

that IS an awesome kitchen for an apartment.

you have a great sense of humor and positive vibe.

i love that you are so young AND into all things culinary.

congrats on the OK gig, but make sure get a place with a basement!!

Leslie Crowell

it will all be fine in the end. if it isn't fine, it isn't the end.

I'm currently enjoying a liquid breakfast:

gallery_28660_5872_88789.jpg

As you can see, I don't always have time to make french pressed coffee, and a new Dunkin Donuts opened across the street from my office just a few months ago. I'm sort of indifferent to their coffee, but when I have to walk past them from where I park, they are the best option (Starbucks is a block out of my way... :smile: ). This morning I have the no pulp OJ, but I'm not a stickler about that. I had a colleague pick that up for me at the corner store when he went out for breakfast, and pulp free is what he gets.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm currently enjoying a liquid breakfast:

gallery_28660_5872_88789.jpg

As you can see, I don't always have time to make french pressed coffee, and a new Dunkin Donuts opened across the street from my office just a few months ago. I'm sort of indifferent to their coffee, but when I have to walk past them from where I park, they are the best option (Starbucks is  a block out of my way... :smile: ). This morning I have the no pulp OJ, but I'm not a stickler about that. I had a colleague pick that up for me at the corner store when he went out for breakfast, and pulp free is what he gets.

I'm strictly a "no pulp" girl :biggrin:

As you can see, I don't always have time to make french pressed coffee, and a new Dunkin Donuts opened across the street from my office just a few months ago. I'm sort of indifferent to their coffee, but when I have to walk past them from where I park, they are the best option (Starbucks is  a block out of my way... :smile: ).

Given that you're living in a college town, I'm wondering if you have any other coffee options? Any cute coffeehouses that serve as hangouts for the students and serve good brew?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Given that you're living in a college town, I'm wondering if you have any other coffee options?  Any cute coffeehouses that serve as hangouts for the students and serve good brew?

There are two that come to mind: Webster's and Saints. Webster's is also a small, locally-owned bookstore, so it has that sort of vibe. Saints is strictly a coffee shop. I used to go to Saints all the time: their coffee is quite good. At some point I switched to Starbucks since they are closer to my office, and then when DD went in I switched again. Pure laziness: if Saints were across the street I'd still be going there. Really, it's not like I'm really in that big a rush in the morning, I'm a grad student! I still get in before almost everyone else! :laugh: I could spare the time... I should start going back there.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris - I love your approach to food, cooking, eating out, etc :) I don't know what it is - but I like it.

One thing that would be sooo hard for me to do is to go without breakfast or even do a purely liquid breakie........

I used to never need breakfast...but now that I teach I wake up soooo hungry! It's like my body knows it is going to need the extra fuel to keep up with the wee ones :) currently i am doing third grade 3 hours a day (helping out with the kids who have special needs, both learning and behavior - working with kids in those arenas takes EXTRA 'oommph'), 7th/8th lunch recess duty, kindergarten/first lunch recess, and other administrative duties....makes for a VERY random day.

So - since you don't usually indulge in breakfast do you find that you often crave these foods for dinner? Steak and egg dinner, pancake and bacon dinner, etc?

Keep up with the pictures - I love pictures! We all do!!! And please please post some good fridge/cabinet shots.....love those too :) I lvoe seeing how we all live differently/similarly!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Chris - I love your approach to food, cooking, eating out, etc :) I don't know what it is - but I like it.

[...]

So - since you don't usually indulge in breakfast do you find that you often crave these foods for dinner? Steak and egg dinner, pancake and bacon dinner, etc?

My approach to food and eating is always shifting: in fact, maybe that shifting is an integral part of my approach! But one thing is for sure: I like variety. I enjoy haute cuisine, and I enjoy a tasty burger and fries. Some days I am in the mood for one, some days for the other. Today for lunch I am going to probably my favorite lunch spot in State College, and as you will see, Michelin won't be awarding them any stars anytime soon! :biggrin:

As for craving breakfast foods for dinner: first, bacon is not breakfast food, bacon is anytime food! :laugh: Second, I do eat breakfast on the weekends sometime: I make killer buttermilk pancakes, if I may say so myself :smile: . Sometimes I eat omelettes for dinner, though (see one of them over here)

As for the cabinets: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men..." I meant to sort of go around the kitchen over the course of the week, but here it is Wednesday already and I haven't even started! I will get on those posts following lunch, I promise!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Don't worry, Chris. We have some eGullet society people down here in Dallas. When you want to get out of Yankee territory, come on down.

I'm really enjoying your blog. I think that when you move to a new region of the country, you'll find a whole new host of cuisines and food cultures to explore.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"