• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Recommendations Late 2006 On

SylvB

I'm a local too, I live 1.5 blocks from Flatbush Farm. I'm not neccessarily saying these places are worth coming into BK by themselves for, but if you are already here for an event, they are good to very good places to eat. Al Di La is not nearly as close especially if you are walking from the Botanical Gardens. If you really want to speak of unmissable, then go to DiFara. Franny's is good, but not unmissable in my opinion.

always-eating.com

See original post:

wondering if there was anywhere "unmissable" in brooklyn either for lunch en route or dinner and drinks on the way back

I actually DO think Franny's is "umissable". But I can readily understand why other people don't.

You're right that Al Di La isn't particularly close to the Botanic Gardens -- but other people were recommending other places in Park Slope. (Certainly, Park Slope is closer than Williamsburg.)

I agree with your worship of DiFara.

there are other options for food too, simply going to the greenmarket after the gardens is a wonderful option as it gets warmer out, problem is this would be on a Saturday only.

I do need to try Franny's again. I wasn't wowed by it, it was good, but not 2 star NYT worthy. I generally go to Amorina on Vanderbilt, 1. short wait and 2. I always find the pizza delicious. Slightly doughy, yes, but the toppings and combinations are unmatched in the area in my opinion. Plus its BYOB...with a corking fee of $10.

always-eating.com

I guess I need to go to Frannys again since, like I said, Amorina has been better to me in terms of pizza. Speaking outside of pizza Franny's takes the cake there without question

always-eating.com

thanks for all the advice, we are definitely planning on eating at the festival too but will check out as many of your recommendations as possible and post back next month.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 1 month later...

I live in western MA and unfortunately don't get to my hometown often...please help me plan a 24 hour eating fest there. And some dim sum in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst....Thanks

Edited by ruggele (log)

I've had some good dinners in the last few months at World Tong on 18th Av., and its dim sum is still highly rated on Chowhound, for whatever that's worth (not much discussion of it here). I would think it would be very good.

What else are you looking for?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan's correct. Best dim sum is World Tong in Bensonhurst by far. There's no real Chinese restaurant community around there though (although Villabate Italian Bakery is only 10 blocks up on 18th Ave & makes it all worthwhile) so if you're looking for the general ambience, the Chinatown is 8th Ave in the 50s... decent dim sum, nothing to write home about. Lots of Cantonese fresh pulled noodle soup places and street vendors.

Get to Brighton Beach Ave and walk around. Russian places for lunch including the markets that have tables/chairs to eat what you buy. Get to DiFara's on Ave J for pizza. Walk down Coney Island Ave to the Pakistanian neighborhood as well. Then up to Nostrand Ave for West Indian foods. Plenty of dinner places in Park Slope. If you're coming several weeks from now and are here on a weekend day, hit the Red Hook ballfields for Mexican, Central and S. American foods.

• 4 months later...
Pan's correct.  Best dim sum is World Tong in Bensonhurst by far.  There's no real Chinese restaurant community around there though (although Villabate Italian Bakery is only 10 blocks up on 18th Ave & makes it all worthwhile) so if you're looking for the general ambience, the Chinatown is 8th Ave in the 50s... decent dim sum, nothing to write home about.  Lots of Cantonese fresh pulled noodle soup places and street vendors.

Get to Brighton Beach Ave and walk around.  Russian places for lunch including the markets that have tables/chairs to eat what you buy.  Get to DiFara's on Ave J for pizza.  Walk down Coney Island Ave to the Pakistanian neighborhood as well.  Then up to Nostrand Ave for West Indian foods.  Plenty of dinner places in Park Slope.  If you're coming several weeks from now and are here on a weekend day, hit the Red Hook ballfields for Mexican, Central and S. American foods.

DiFara's pizza is a must but also in Williamsburg, tucked neatly under the W'Burg bridge across the street from the overly famous Peter Lugers is a place that warms the soul and feeds the stomach - check out Dressler.

-Rosalie

bringing the world divine decorated cookies, unique custom cookies, logo cookies, and stunning photo cookies