• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Recommendations Late 2006 On

SylvB

Do you mean to limit yourself to the so-called "New Brooklyn Cuisine", or do you just mean the new wave of restaurants in Brooklyn? I ask only because one of my very favorites, Al Di La, doesn't really fit within the definition of the "New Brooklyn Cuisine" -- it's not particularly ingredient-driven, it's just superior (mainly) Venitian food -- but would otherwise be a strong recommendation.

As for classic "New Brooklyn" restaurants, I really like the Grocery on Smith St.(which suffers from its overhyped Zagat's rating, but is otherwise a good little restaurant), Stone Park Cafe on 5th Ave. (in a way less "New Brooklyn" than the others I'm mentioning, but still in the ballpark and very good), and Rose Water on Union St. I have a feeling Applewood (somewhere deep in Park Slope) should be toward the top of your list, but I somehow have never eaten there. Johnder loves it.

I forgot my personal favorite: Franny's on Flatbush near St. Marks -- a "New Brookyn" restaurant masquerading as a pizza place. Whole pies (no slices), great appetizers, great cocktails, mediocre desserts. You should DEFINITELY go there.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

A Brooklyn Foodie tour would certainly encompass more than NBC, as for example some of the classic pizza places like Grimaldi's, DiFarra and Totonno's.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Get gelato at Tempo Presto.

Blue Ribbon Sushi is terrific.

For markets, there's a new upscale market on Union Street, (I think between 5th & 6th Avenues, but maybe it's 6th & 7th), south side of the street. Really good, but pricey.

Ici is good, but I think the places that have been mentioned in this thread are better. I wouldn't dissuade you from going to Ici by any means. But if you do, temper your expectations. (I thought there was a thread on it on this board, but I'm having trouble finding it even using the "Google" search.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

since i pretty much agree with all the resto recs, esp. al di la, franny's and applewood, i'm just going to try to cover the markets. i don't know if any of them really qualify as nbc, except maybe the chocolate based places, as chocolate seems to be a new "cuisine" or restaurant/shop trend in general, not just in brooklyn. these are not in any particular order. the list is park slope heavy because that's where i live.

blue apron foods: two locations, both in park slope: 1) union and 7th ave. 2) 7th ave btwn 14th and 15th sts. great for cheeses (owners are vets of dean and deluca's cheese dept.), charcuterie, eurocookies, and chocolate bars, as well as chocolates from jacques torres and baked goods from baked and nougatine.

bierkraft: park slope, 5th ave. nr union. cheeses, chocolate, and of course, tons of "bier". with respect to the chocolate, bierkraft is the only place i've ever seen in brooklyn selling slitti, the amazing italian high cocoa content milk chocolate (only other place i've seen it in nyc is bazzini's). i believe they also carry ice cream from the previously recommended brooklyn ice cream factory.

the chocolate room: park slope 5th ave. btwn st. mark's and warren. treat it as a chocolate shop (brands sold include michel cluizel, bonnat and knipschildt) or a dessert cafe. best chocolate layer cake in town, imo. it's just a couple of doors away from where i work, total wine bar, which is not a market, but a ideal spot to drop in for a glass of wine and some mac and cheese.

tempo presto: two locations, both in park slope: 5th ave. and btwn carroll st. and garfield pl. and 7th ave. nr 3rd st. (not sure it's open yet, but glad to see it'll replace carvel's) great gelato as already mentioned, but also inventive and delicious sandwiches.

sweet melissa: two locations: 1) carroll gardens, court street at douglass 2) park slope, 7th ave. btwn 1st and 2nd sts. beautiful cakes with a fancy old-fashioned regency look. the buttercream they ice and fill with is top notch. you can also sit inside and have a very good pastry with coffee or tea.

two little red hens bakery: park slope: 8th ave. and 11th st. great source for birthday or other celebration cakes. famous for their brooklyn blackout cake, which i cannot vouch for because i haven't tried it yet. i especially like that they offer many of their cakes in small or and individual sizes. good regular brewed coffee, too.

cakeman raven: fort greene at 708-A fulton st. famous for his red velvet cake. i have not tried it, but many people have recommended cakeman.

baked: in red hook at 359 van brunt st., across the street from the wonderful restaurant 360. i love baked. deceptively simple layer cakes made with high-quality ingredients in basic or very interesting flavor combinations, like chocolate with caramel and buttercream filling, topped with buttercream, more caramel, then sprinkled with fleur de sel! if you want to make a splash with a cake but don’t want to look too fancy, this is your place. the look of the cakes is minimal but not stark. you can eat in, too. usually one of the cakes is available by the slice. their croissants are reportedly excellent, but i've never gone early enough to find out for myself. i dream of going in one morning for coffee and a croissant on the way to fairway.

fairway: red hook, 480 - 500 van brunt st. i like it, but i always spend too much money in this location. don't know if that's because it's so huge and enticingly presented, or because my friend who gives me a ride is shopping for a family of four while i'm just one. the view from the deck out back is gorgeous. here's a link to the fairway thread.

the farmer's market at grand army plaza. fruits, veggies, flowers, cheese, and johnder's favorite pork lady. a tad less hectic than some of the manhattan farmers markets.

cousin john's bakery: 7th avenue between lincoln pl. and berkeley pl. i often forget about this place, even though i live right around the corner. cousin john's does really good, fresh baked goods, like cheese danishes, banana cream tarts, and the much maligned carrot cake, which they do with a tangy, not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting and a moist-crumbed cake. it is also a cafe (coffee is decent, but not great), and apparently, they serve breakfast, too.

jacques torres: in dumbo at 66 water street. i think the name speaks for itself. i like the shop because of the hot chocolate (thick and not too sweet) and the feeling that you're getting torres' chocolate in the freshest state possible. i don't think torres makes the best chocolate out there, but i find his pricing very reasonable. the colorful shop -- or shoppe, as he calls it -- is great for kids because you can see the factory from inside the shop. very willi wonka.

union market: union and 6th ave. i don't think this is worth a special trip to bk, and i shop here only when in a pinch for fruits and vegetables. but i did notice the other day that they are now selling vosges chocolates and caramels.

prospect wine shop: 7th avenue btwn 8th and 9th sts. there are many good wine shops in bk, but this one in particular has what i think is one of the best champagne selections in town, with a focus on grower champagnes.

le nell's wine & spirit boutique: in red hook ad 416 van brunt street. emphasis on "spirit" here. le nell's is another wine shop i like because it has a unique twist, that of being an incredible resource for distilled spirits (especially bourbon; le nell is from down south) made by small distillers. she also has hard to find non-commercial bitters. and the wine selection is actually really good, too: lots of small, organic/biodynamic selections.

d'amico's coffees: in carroll gardens on court st. btwn sackett and degraw. old school italian spot where they roast the excellent beans on site. my favorite is the organic sumatra. there seems to be a bit of a social club going on in here, too, what with the card tables in the back of the room. just adds to the old school feel of the shop. to make it worth your while, order yourself a mortadella and provolone sandwich on a roll. this place is also a bit of a deli!

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

Ici is good, but I think the places that have been mentioned in this thread are better.  I wouldn't dissuade you from going to Ici by any means.  But if you do, temper your expectations.  (There's a thread on it on this board.)

iCi is a good, ambitious "neighborhood" spot (i'm almost afraid to use that term :smile: ). the room is as cute as pie, the food sourced from all the right farms, etc., but the preparation of these special ingredients doesn't merit a special trip. for a similar concept, albeit at a much higher price, i'd go with applewood. definitely temper your expectations with iCi. i won't dissuade you from going, either. i hope they get better foodwise, because, as i said, the room is so pleasing, and the service is sweet and well-meaning. i'd like to see them do well.

It's scarey how much I tend to agree with you.

FWIW, I can vouch for that Brooklyn Blackout Cake, BTW.  Although I could imagine that someone who didn't grow up eating Ebinger's might find it a bit much.

they say scary things happen on friday the 13th. i've always wanted to try the brooklyn blackout cake, but the other cakes always out-tempt it. one of these days...

is ebinger's a bakery of the new york of old?

• 1 year later...

We will be going to the Brooklyn Botanic gardens for the japanese festival they are having the first weekend of may and was wondering if there was anywhere "unmissable" in brooklyn either for lunch en route or dinner and drinks on the way back - it would be a sunday, not sure if taht makes a difference? Apologies if tehre is another threda like this but i did a search and couldn't see anything....

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

We will be going to the Brooklyn Botanic gardens for the japanese festival they are having the first weekend of may and was wondering if there was anywhere "unmissable" in brooklyn either for lunch en route or dinner and drinks on the way back - it would be a sunday, not sure if taht makes a difference? Apologies if tehre is another threda like this but i did a search and couldn't see anything....

You should hit Hotel Delmano for cocktails.

How about a meal @ the bar @ Taro Sushi, Dean @ Flatbush Avenue, to cap off your day of Japanese joys

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Try Sushi Bistro on 19th St & Avenue U. It's a small place, but they have GREAT sushi.

That's 5 miles from the gardens, buddy.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I thought they have food at the festival, and if so, get your takoyaki and yakisoba on! Nothing better than beer, yakisoba, under a cherry blossom tree. I've done this many times in Japan, so trust me please.

Frannys for Pizza

Flatbush Farm for the artichoke dip and french dip

Rose Water for their seasonal and local cuisine

La Taqueria for their relatively authentic cheap tacos

Beast for a drink and a delicious assortment of tapas

Weather Up for a high end cocktail

always-eating.com

Actually, as someone who lives within walking distance of Flatbush Farms and easy walking distance of The Beast, I have to say that I never go to them -- and at least one of them I could pretty much stumble into without opening my eyes.

If I were to travel to them from Manhattan, I'd feel VERY ripped off.

I really think Franny's and Al Di La are the only really notable "worth a trip" "can't miss" places around there. And I'm a local.

(I like Barrette a lot as a fun place to hang out.)

I thought they have food at the festival, and if so, get your takoyaki and yakisoba on! Nothing better than beer, yakisoba, under a cherry blossom tree. I've done this many times in Japan, so trust me please.

They definitely DO have food at the Festival.