• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby carrots

adegiulio

So we have all had those pre-peeled "baby" carrots they sell by the sack in the produce aisle. My question is, why do they have no discernible carrot flavor? How are these carrots processed to simultaneously remove the skin and the taste?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

So we have all had those pre-peeled "baby" carrots they sell by the sack in the produce aisle. My question is, why do they have no discernible carrot flavor? How are these carrots processed to simultaneously remove the skin and the taste?

Technically speaking, they're not baby carrots even though they bear that name. About three-fourths of the carrots consumed in the U.S. are grown here in Kern County where I live. Plus, I work with a carrot farmer who works with my company part-time so I have a little info I can offer.

The carrots have been bred (an ongoing process) to remove the bitter "woody" flavor that carrots normally have in favor of having a sweet flavor note. This makes them popular with kids, of course. Plus, they're convenient (already peeled and ready to eat) so that makes them popular with busy parents.

The carrots have also been bred to grow straight and to average just over 6-inches in length by the time they are harvested. When processed, each carrot is then sliced into three 2-inch pieces (notice how each of the "baby" carrots in the bag is about the same length) which are then tumbled in a peeler machine to remove the skin.

The fact that you've noticed that they don't taste like real carrots means you are not the intended market for this product. That can be a good thing. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think it's mostly becaise of the water used in peeling and packaging.

Try this...

Take a regular fresh carrot and grate it finely (like shredded cheese) then taste it. Next take some of that same ground carrot and put it in a glass and cover with cold water and stir for 15-30 seconds. Drain off the now orange water and taste the carrot again.

This was a huge wake up call for me- I think it shows what processing can do to our foods.

Jeff

I think grocery store carrots are generally bland. My local natural food store carries some fantastic carrots from a local farmer, in season, and the farmer's markets have good ones as well, but I don't bother purchasing grocery store carrots anymore.