• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

schneich

Balancing your Ganache Recipes 2.0

I totally agree about taste changes. I wonder though if a well balanced recipe will allow for slower taste changes as what is going on in the bonbon may also affect taste changes. And I am even smaller than you, Edward, which creates a different problem. I can't make so many kinds every week. I have to have some types frozen. I also have nut based, which I love personally are are much easier to deal with in terms of no cream!

Edited by Lior (log)

A substantial number of eGullet members have asked for the Excel ganache spreadsheet developed by schneich (actually by an employee of his) and referred to at the beginning of this thread.  I posted that I had the spreadsheet and would send it to anyone who PM'd me, and I have sent it to many.  Now that I have a website, it seems sensible to post it there.  Here is the link:  http://www.jamesdutton.net/ganache.html

Thanks, Jim!

General note: To keep this topic relevant and useful, please stick to the discussion of ganache recipes. If you have technical questions related to the link as such/downloads/etc., please do this via the PM system, instead.

I hope it's ok to dredge up this old thread, but I have noticed that none of the recipes I see in the several books I have - Greweling, Shotts, Notter, etc - fit within Morato's formulas.  Even the recipes from Chef Morato himself that are on the Cacao Barry site do not conform to his formulas.  I am curious if people have found his calculations to be useful at all?  

Edited by Bentley (log)

I've tried using the formula from Morato's book, it's pretty difficult to hit his targets some times. It does give good shelf life, in that I've had bonbons filled with a ganache which fits the formula sat on the side for over 3 months with no mold or significant shrinkage, and they have maintained a really good texture. The biggest problem I find with his formula is that for me it generally produces a thick, mayonnaise like ganache which wont settle flat when piped. I've not figured out how to fix this yet and often end up having to scrape peaks off before capping, and my bases end up being thicker at the edges. Because of that I only use the formula when I need ganaches to last a long time, as you can still make a great tasting ganache, but I do feel like it trades off some quality for shelf life.

• Like 2