• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Duck CookBook

adey73

I wish Heston's TV show In Search of Perfection were accessible to me, the clips on youtube look very promising. And that's geared to the ambitious home cook. Anybody know if it can be found on DVD? Food Channel should show that, instead of that drivel they show nowadays.

PM me and i'll work out a way to get them to you.

one last note and I'll shut up about this book"

Our local Barnes and Noble had at least 10 of them in a pile, so you should have no problem locating one to look at - at least in the US.

And if you're looking for the contents, they're somewhere in the middle on double fold out pages. Why? You don't ask why in art :cool:

Check it out!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

On a now rare visit to my local W H Smith, I stumbled across this stunning book in there bestsellers list(not sure what number).

Only able to browse through it for fifteen minutes before my car park ticket expired, reluctantly,I put it back on the shelf.

Cut a long story short I ordered it off Amazon for a jaw droppingly low price of £19.23, this by the way includes free delivery.

My wife always struggles to find something for me for Xmas, however I simply can't wait to get my hands on it, so I will have to "stumble" on something else instead :smile:

Happy cooking

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

So far, I've only spent a few hours with the book (the "small" one). I'm really enjoying reading Heston's story. The reference in the back is also looking great - better explanations of what some of these wacky ingredients are and how they work, but essays about "food science" look to be great stuff (and are largely what pushed me over the edge to buy the book)

On the other hand, I'm looking at the recipes and I'm not really excited. I'm happy to admit that as a Chicagoan, I have an irrational bias in favor of anything Chicago, but I don't think that explains why I like the recipe side of the Alinea cookbook more that what I've looked over in the Fat Duck book. I haven't tried the crazy 20 component "Tomato" dish (or similar) from Alinea, but I've made a bunch of the simpler dishes, and really enjoyed it. So far, the only Fat Duck dish that I'm excited about is the carrot+beet gells.

I've looked through Jan's blog, and that's helping - the mustard ice cream and cabbage gazpacho looks interesting!

I'm certainly not unhappy with the book so far, I just don't think I'll do a lot of dishes from the recipes, unfortunately.