• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bec Fin

Al x

Not trying to start a rumor. A person who I work with said they saw something on the news this morning about Le Be Fin closing. I searched a little on the internet but couldn't find anything. If true it would be one of those things that surprised me for some reason even though I suspected it was coming.

He's making an announcement, broadcast tonight at 11 on the channel 6 news according to "The Clog."

There's still much speculation about whether he's closing Le Bec, or he's retiring, or whether it's just publicity for new projects. The teaser has him saying that it's very sad, but it's time... He's left Le Bec's kitchen before, so the implication is that Le Bec is closing, but then again, maybe it's just a crafty teaser!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

My money is on retirement or publicity stunt. I can't imagine why he'd close LBF. I believe he owns the building.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My money is on retirement or publicity stunt. I can't imagine why he'd close LBF. I believe he owns the building.

It's been no secret for years that Georges would rather capitalise on his name and reputation to become a "restauranteur" as opposed to remaining chef-owner. There is nothing wrong with that and he certainly paid his dues but the thing that's always been in his way is gradiosity and ego (which we all have to some degree). Georges has always defined himself as a pioneer of creating the gastronomy scene in Philadelphia and the restaurant that obviously is attached to that history is LBF, nobody really gives a crap about the culinary contributions of Brasserie, La Mas or that absurdly decorated place in Atlantic city. LBF defines Georges.

THUS : knowing fully well that it is operating at no more than 50% of what it was doing 10 years ago, it HAS to be too expensive to keep open even if he owns the building. The building has appreciated handsomely since he bought it and he could sell it for millions, keep his other places, not so much as boil an egg and still have a 7 figure income.

If he closes it, then some smart person gave him two options.

1. here is your ego.

2. here is an excel spreadsheet.

If anything lots of very famous french chefs have closed thier flagship restaurants or worse killed them selves, closing LBF won't be the end of the world for Georges, he has a good legacy and he certainly will not be at the welfare offce anytime soon.

Zoot alors! "I am giving back Mobil thee five stars! I am very eeemotional now"

ANd now there will only be a fork and knife and white plate as a table setting! And this was worth an Action News Special Report? Both brilliant PR and amazing gullibility by Ch. 6. At least they disclosed that Tamala Edwards, the reporter covering the "story" was married to Perrier's pastry chef, Rocco. I still cant believe that it merited a feature story on the 11PM news. Huge kudos to whomever sold that story.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Zoot alors!  "I am giving back Mobil thee five stars!  I am very eeemotional now"

ANd now there will only be a fork and knife and white plate as a table setting!  And this was worth an Action News Special Report?  Both brilliant PR and amazing gullibility by Ch. 6.  At least they disclosed that Tamala Edwards, the reporter covering the "story" was married to Perrier's pastry chef, Rocco.  I still cant believe that it merited a feature story on the 11PM news.  Huge kudos to whomever sold that story.

Bit more than that, I thought: the grande dame of Philadelphia restaurants is giving up couture and taking up jeans-and-t-shirts. Perrier's hints on what the menu may become seem like a big change.

But this was NOT evening news news, not by any criteria of news gathering judgement. It is the stuff for blogs and Michael Klein's column and such.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Agreed. Neither burning buildings nor blood stained sidewalks were part of Le Bec-Fin's announcement. Nor was there even tape of a poodle dressed as a fancy French chef. Definitely not a story worthy of a Philadelphia local news station.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Agreed.  Neither burning buildings nor blood stained sidewalks were part of Le Bec-Fin's announcement.  Nor was there even film of a poodle dressed as a fancy French chef.  Definitely not a story worthy of a Philadelphia local news station.

Particularly because of the exclusion of the poodle film... :rolleyes:

'Tis true that the standards for food news, nay news in general in this metro area are pretty skewed and bizarre. But I suppose that shows what a town full of foodies and eaters we really are. You can say a lot about Philadelphians, but we take our eatin' pretty damned seriously.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Agreed.  Neither burning buildings nor blood stained sidewalks were part of Le Bec-Fin's announcement.  Nor was there even film of a poodle dressed as a fancy French chef.  Definitely not a story worthy of a Philadelphia local news station.

Particularly because of the exclusion of the poodle film... :rolleyes:

'Tis true that the standards for food news, nay news in general in this metro area are pretty skewed and bizarre. But I suppose that shows what a town full of foodies and eaters we really are. You can say a lot about Philadelphians, but we take our eatin' pretty damned seriously.

Well, anything can be improved by the inclusion of a poodle. But I think we foody-doodies may be getting a bit befogged here: we are so close to the various restaurants that it is sometimes hard to get perspective. The restaurants we pay attention to are either new, unusual, or somehow offbeat. But I think that in the general public's view LBF isn't just a Philadelphia restaurant - it's the Philadelphia restaurant. That makes this announcement news, much like the loss and subsequent recapture of the fifth Mobil star were news, a little while ago.

But this was NOT evening news news, not by any criteria of news gathering judgement. It is the stuff for blogs and Michael Klein's column and such.

--------------------

Rich Pawlak

I doubt anyone should give a crap, most local evening "news" is not news by any criteria of news gathering judgement. It's just the nightly fire, murder and embezzlement reports.

The new menu, from Food & Drinq:

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/foodanddrinq/lbf.htm

This... I could live with these prices on a regular basis: if the food quality remains what it was, it may be the best deal in town. Even though that Dover Sole at $70 is startling. I'm guessing that is a matter of sourcing: might actually be flown in just to keep V. happy!

Cost happiness depending, as always, on whether something can be found on the wine list that is priced within reason.

I can't recall whether LBF had a BYO or discounted-wine deal, or whether I'm just thinking or Brasserie Perrier and Georges...

i see the dover sole at $56. it's the maine lobster for two that is $70.

i imagine you still get killed on the wine, however.

Well, yeah - that's why I'm trying to recall if they had a wine deal. But even if they don't, it won't kill you as dead as the old prices would.

Interesting. My wife was an NBC news producer for a long time (she's now a college professor teaching the next round of producers how to do it), but if you understand how news works, what motivates assignment editors, and happen to have good timing (ie don't try to run a story like this on, say, election day), you can get almost anything on the air. News is about what will likely motivate the largest number of people to watch, with the least amount of effort from the stations part, presented in a fashion so as to maintain the largest number of advertisers possible.

Newsworthy? bah, doesn't matter anymore 8-)

I remember a great lunch at Le Bec Fin in the early 90s. The bonus was I got to meet and visit some with Bob Bennett. Just today I served a luncheon for 11 and the dessert was a lemon crepe using his recipe for lemon tart filling. That filling is so perfectly lemon without being too sweet. And so easy to make.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Just today I served a luncheon for 11 and the dessert was a lemon crepe using his recipe for lemon tart filling.  That filling is so perfectly lemon without being too sweet.  And so easy to make.

Ahem....recipe please?

I love a good lemon filling!

It is in the Le Bec Fin book, page 168 I think. Just put your eggs, yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pan, over a flame, I use high, start whisking and keep whisking until the whisk leaves traces in the foam. Quickly whisk in the butter. Chill in the fridge. so, so easy and so so lemony.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure if this thread title is appropriate anymore. Although it didn't seem from my lunch a few weeks ago that people are clamoring for Perrier's upscale restaurant, the dining room didn't seem to hurt for clients either.

It's probably not the hottest news items you'll stumble across today, but before I write up the details of my meal, I thought I'd put this out for the forum (from Zagat Buzz):

The changes at Philly's Le Bec-Fin keep coming. After a springtime loosening up of the menu by dropping its prix fixe policy, the decor is next. This fall, Georges Perrier's fine-dining landmark unfusses itself again with an interior move from late-19th-century Parisian salon to art deco. "Everything in the dining room right down to Le Bar Lyonnais will change – the furniture, the carpeting, the sconces and the artwork," we're told. But just as with the restaurant's last renovation in 2002, the chandeliers are staying. Expect the restaurant to be closed for a couple weeks in October/November for the redo.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm not sure if this thread title is appropriate anymore. Although it didn't seem from my lunch a few weeks ago that people are clamoring for Perrier's upscale restaurant, the dining room didn't seem to hurt for clients either. 

It's probably not the hottest news items you'll stumble across today, but before I write up the details of my meal, I thought I'd put this out for the forum (from Zagat Buzz):

The changes at Philly's Le Bec-Fin keep coming. After a springtime loosening up of the menu by dropping its prix fixe policy, the decor is next. This fall, Georges Perrier's fine-dining landmark unfusses itself again with an interior move from late-19th-century Parisian salon to art deco. "Everything in the dining room right down to Le Bar Lyonnais will change – the furniture, the carpeting, the sconces and the artwork," we're told. But just as with the restaurant's last renovation in 2002, the chandeliers are staying. Expect the restaurant to be closed for a couple weeks in October/November for the redo.

The news teasers for the a la carte changes were the source of the rumors that spawned this thread.

From what I've gathered, friends who tried ordering a la carte were disappointed. But several people who've been regulars for a while and have stuck with the prix fixe claim they detect no real change.

I'll need to check it out sometime.

My most recent meal there under the new playbook was very disappointing. I can't imagine that I would go back. Service attention was also tossed out with the prix fixe bath water.

Is Perrier rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? Me thinks so.

Dough can sense fear.