• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

winston salem food

cbarre02

my girlfriend and i will be in the winston salem / greensboro area for 3 days. We are going on a whirlwind BBQ tour of NC, and wondered what else there is. If any one out there had some suggestion on some fine dining locations, great local dinner spots, as well as a decent breakfast spot it would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

cory

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

my girlfriend and i will be in the winston salem / greensboro area for 3 days.  We are going on a whirlwind BBQ tour of NC, and wondered what else there is.  If any one out there had some suggestion on some fine dining locations, great local dinner spots, as well as a decent breakfast spot it would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance,

cory

I live in Greensboro and work in Winston, so am familiar with both cities.

For fine dining in Greensboro, I would recommend Bistro Sophia, Print Works Bistro, Green Valley Grill and Undercurrent. There are a few other good ones, but those are my favorites. In Winston, fine dining at Meridian and Fabian's.

There is good Vietnamese in Greensboro (Saigon, Van Loi and Pho Ha) and you might enjoy a local bakery, Cheesecakes by Alex.

In Winston, Foothills is the best local brewpub in the area, having won several awards at the GABF. Mary's of Course is a funky local spot, with great breakfast selections. I also like Ollie's Bakery and, for local Moravian baked goods, you can't go wrong with Dewey's. Sweet Potatoes is probably the best southern style local restaurant in the Triad.

I would have to agree with brentk's recs. though for printworks I can only recommend the bar at this point. I have been once for dinner and while I will be back I can only say my dinner did not deliver on the promise of the menu or the venue.

Give us an idea of where you are from and what kind of foods you don't have access to there and we can sharpen our recs. Also, I think prissy pollys is on the bottom of the que chain here. At all places please follow Jim Leffs recs to get a sandwich with outside brown and lean in it.

my girlfriend and i will be in the winston salem / greensboro area for 3 days.  We are going on a whirlwind BBQ tour of NC, and wondered what else there is.  If any one out there had some suggestion on some fine dining locations, great local dinner spots, as well as a decent breakfast spot it would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance,

cory

I live in Greensboro and work in Winston, so am familiar with both cities.

For fine dining in Greensboro, I would recommend Bistro Sophia, Print Works Bistro, Green Valley Grill and Undercurrent. There are a few other good ones, but those are my favorites. In Winston, fine dining at Meridian and Fabian's.

There is good Vietnamese in Greensboro (Saigon, Van Loi and Pho Ha) and you might enjoy a local bakery, Cheesecakes by Alex.

In Winston, Foothills is the best local brewpub in the area, having won several awards at the GABF. Mary's of Course is a funky local spot, with great breakfast selections. I also like Ollie's Bakery and, for local Moravian baked goods, you can't go wrong with Dewey's. Sweet Potatoes is probably the best southern style local restaurant in the Triad.