• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Melon - Help!

gfron1

Hi Rob - I'm not sure if this would be an appropriate substitute, since I'm not really familiar with Italian candied melon. If it's similar to the Chinese candied melon, then you might be able to use this recipe:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...16172058AAi5j9W

Unfortunately, I'm not at home, so I can't access the cookbooks & family recipes to see if this is similar to those. Maybe there's a Chinatown nearby you where you could get access to this sort of candied melon? :)

You can prepare candied melon rind that is very close to the Italian product.

I make it for struffoli and panforte. Torta di recotta

You need a not-quite-ripe melon - I usually stick to honeydew or casabas but watermelons with thicker rinds work okay. Or any melon as long as it isn't too ripe. Note this is candied melon RIND, although most recipes only say candied melon they do not candy the soft ripe part.

The recipe is fairly simple.

Check this site: melon is at the bottom.

candying fruits and melons

You can make a large batch and leave what your are not going to use immediately in the syrup and store at room temp.

A few days before you will need it, remove from syrup, drain and dry on a rack until it is no longer tacky.

I usually put mine in a dehydrator to speed things up but it will dry at room temp - use a fan if weather is humid.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Great - thank you!  Now...can I find melons this time of year :)

The Mexican markets here have a couple of varieties on sale, Cranshaw and Cantaloupe and some baby watermelons. They have a little sign recommending a bath for the melons in water with a little bleach!

It's the first time I have ever seen this particular warning.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I do buy candied cantelope ( melon) here in FLorence and can we also use candied pumpkin, actually more often the pumpkin( zucca) is candied and dyed to replace other fruits!

I think a lovely local version can easily be made using dried figs, prunes, apricots and pears which are easily available. instead of going to the trouble to candy your own fruit! ( and time and expense)

WE have a fabulous spice mixture, called droghe. or spezie regina, which is used in panforte and panpepato.

I have my recipe on my site www.divinacucina.com