• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campbell's Scotch Broth Soup

maggiethecat

• 9 months later...

Here's the one I made; I was very happy with it .

SCOTCH BROTH SOUP

Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I used to love this soup as a child as well. Haven't seen it in many years.

One comment though; I don't care much for barley because of its weird (to me) texture. What would be a good substitute?

• 1 month later...

I had a Frugal Gourmet cookbook that had a recipe for scotch broth, but huricane Sandy took it.

I often see FG cookbooks in thrift stores - which book was it in - I'll keep an eye out for it for you?

• 4 months later...

Scotch Broth recipe. I haven't made it yet but I do have the ingredients. I could not find the lamb neck bones or the shank so I had to settle for the blade chops

http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2011/03/scotch-broth.html

Sounds like a good recipe. I grew up loving Campbell's Scotch Broth and was pleased to discover how easy and delicious it is to make at home. Try asking your butcher if they'll get lamb neck bones or shanks for you, at least occasionally. Americans seem to be losing their taste for sheep -- we used to have mutton chops regularly when I was a kid in Seattle, not to mention leg of lamb for festive occasions. Now, all one can find in most stores is lamb chops.