• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campbell's Scotch Broth Soup

maggiethecat

While I was cooking barley tonight for quite another kind of soup, I remembered Campbell's Scotch Broth, which my mother served every other week with a grilled cheese sandwich at lunchtime. I don't buy canned soup, but I remember the vegetable rich soup with a mutton broth base, tiny flecks of what must have been mutton, and the satisfying grainy orbs of pearl barley. It tasted good. It smelled good. It was better than any soup in the then Campbell's repertoire by a caber toss, except, perhaps, for the classic French Canadian Pea .

When I married an American and moved to Chicago I made my own newlywed soupes, but I'd occasionally check the soup aisle for Scotch Broth. No luck -- a mutton stock based vegetable barley soup didn't cut it in Chicago.

So I did a wee googling tonight. You can buy a case of Scotch Broth at Amazon for about forty bucks! It's mentioned that it's expensive because it's a product of Campbell's Canada.

And should your taste runs to Pop Art, Andy Warhol's Scotch Broth print is available here.

Is time playing tricks on me? For Campbells's canned, is it a good soup? Or is this simply a fond childhood memory, and Scot's w'ae hae?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My mother would agree I'm sure. Campbell's Scotch Broth was her go-to canned soup. I remembered it fondly enough so that when I grew up and learned to make soup I made my own version.

Some memories are best left to grow in the dark in peace. The last time I opened a can of Campbell's soup (many years ago) most of it got tossed. I don't remember what it tasted like, but mainly it tasted like salt. $40 would buy a lot of lamb shanks, barley and carrots. I bet you could make your own Scotch Broth and knock the plaid socks off all your relatives.

I remember Scotch Broth fondly from dormitory days--the dining hall was closed on Sunday evenings, and we had to fend for ourselves. If money was too short for a trip downtown to McDonalds, or a pizza delivery, Scotch Broth was my dinner of choice.

I suspect that it wouldn't taste as good now as then, and we should just find ourselves a recipe.

sparrowgrass

Ditto to not using prepared soups much, so I have no idea of it is available around here but I loved it, too, in my childhood. (And Pepper Pot with tripe !)

I made some a few months ago with lamb (no mutton to be found) and it was DELICIOUS !

I suspect that it wouldn't taste as good now as then, and we should just find ourselves a recipe.

I'm sure you're right. If I can get my hands on a lamb bone...

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Scotch Broth (and Pepperpot) are still available. Not easy to find though. The Acme here in Ocean City has both at least the did a few months ago. The problem is Campbell's keeps coming out with new soups, low fat, low sodium etc. that push the old soups of of the shelf. I guess people really buy the 15 or so variations of chicken noodle. I do like the Pepperpot, Scotch Broth and Cream of Tomato with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

I have a can of Scotch Broth in my cupboard at the moment. It is my favourite Campbell's soup. Growing up it was always a treat for when my Dad was out of town, because he can't stand it.

Even hubby who swears he can't stand lamb used to love this soup. Haven't had it in years and years. Would now likely try to make my own rather than buy a can. Still... it sure does bring back memories.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was turned on to SB by a Sunday school teacher in the sixth grade. I put a can in the shopping cart and it became a family favorite. I haven't seen it for years and had completely forgotten it. We, too, grow our own soups and don't open cans, but I'm going to keep an eye out for some. Thanks for the memories, Maggie.

It's a staple in my pantry. Sorry.

No sorry! I'm jealous. Where I live in the Chicago burbs Scotch Broth isn't available. I'll wait until I go back to Ottawa and timidly buy a can and hope that that muttony magic comes back.

But it's a soup that's so culinary -unfashionable and so disdained by canned soup buying Soccer Moms it makes me laugh, even as I remember the meaty whiff, the vegetables and the barley. Somehow, for all its Campbell's genealogy, it seems like back to the past. I like that.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Dockhl's recipe upthread is a nice traditional one, similar to the original recipe I had, altho mine didn't call for adding wine. Wine sounds good, though. I also have taken to making a hybrid broth, using some lamb shanks and a lesser amount of beef shank and some beef marrow bones. I cook the shanks until the lamb is tender and falls off the bone, reserving that meat. Sometimes I will reduce the stock further if it needs it. I don't use the beef shank meat, it seems pretty unappealing. I add the reserved lamb meat at the end.

I cook the barley separately, toasting it in a little butter like I do rice, and then simmer it in light stock until still al dente. I add it into the soup about 15 min before it's done. I'm not sure why I do this; I think it makes the broth less cloudy, but I could be wrong and perhaps its just a personal quirk. The turnip sounds like a nice twist--I'm gonna try that (and the wine!) next time. Do the turnip cubes behave like the carrots and hold their shape?

I agree: home-made scotch broth will not disappoint.

Well, this thread was sticking in my head when I went grocery shopping this morning, so I went down the soup aisle--something I rarely do. There, right next to each other, were Scotch Broth and Pepper Pot. And they were on sale! While still pretty pricey at $3.50 a can, I bought one of each. I'll report back as to how they match up to childhood memory.

i also grew up with both the Scotch Broth and Pepper Pot soups from Campbell's.

now, when i make Scotch Broth for my mil and i, i use Laurie Colwin's recipe(sorry i can't find a free link online - if you want the recipe pm me and i'll send it to you). so, so simple and tasty. and katie's description is how i do the barley as well. a bit of a cruch and richness.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...
I just found Scotch Broth at the Acme in Somers Point (NJ)  It was $4.29 a can.

I passed.

Holy Smoley, I should think so. Fond as I am in reminiscence, there is no way Campbell's Scotch Broth is worth 4.29.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

OK, due to this thread I too made a point to use the soup aisle to get to checkout. Since when does Campbell's have that sideways dispenser display thingy? Not assuming it is even especially new -- I wouldn't know.

Scotch Broth, $3.59!!! Cripes. However, price, even extortionate price, can be mooted by nostalgia. But that is a LOT, for a can of condensed soup.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

OK, due to this thread I too made a point to use the soup aisle to get to checkout.  Since when does Campbell's have that sideways dispenser display thingy?  Not assuming it is even especially new -- I wouldn't know.

since about 2 years ago, priscilla.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

OK, due to this thread I too made a point to use the soup aisle to get to checkout.  Since when does Campbell's have that sideways dispenser display thingy?  Not assuming it is even especially new -- I wouldn't know.

since about 2 years ago, priscilla.

Fahncy! And I bet it cuts down on can avalanches.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 3 years later...

From time to time, I used Campbell's Scotch Broth in recipes and preparation of other items, given the lamb broth. The other day I looked to buy some and discovered the supermarket shelves bare. Upon researching, apparently the product was made in a Canadian Campbell plant and is no longer brought into the U.S. I shall miss this one...

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

True and thank you for the thought, however it is listed and says to the effect they will announce or notify when it is back in stock. There were customer review comments lower on the page which talk about it no longer being sold in the U.S. There is one can of a Heinz version, but I have not tried that particular brand.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks