• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you sketch your sweets?

gfron1

• 2 months later...

Well been a while since i have had time to work on some new stuff so this is my latest Sketch:

gallery_58569_5896_421415.jpg

and today i finally got to put it together and finish it so here is the finished Photo:

gallery_58569_5896_638225.jpg

Hope you like, I am hoping it will sell well, and we will add this one to the permanent product line instead of just a Chef's Special.

Eric

So today, i had time to finish a cake i started working on last week, all i needed to do was work on the finished look.  So here are my Sketches followed by the finished Cake.  This cake is just a proto-type cake, so i make tweek it a bit, but i like the overall finished product.

gallery_58569_5896_39598.jpg

So i started with four concepts

gallery_58569_5896_27001.jpg

and i picked this last one for the feeling i wanted for this cake, which is something more feminine which worked as well with the flavor profile

gallery_58569_5896_65302.jpg

Here is the final cake, this is the first time i have tried to make a flower like this and after i finished this one i did go on to refine my process for the next cake

Wow, that cake is simply stunning!! I *love* it. Would you share how you made the flower?

gallery_58569_5896_638225.jpg

Hope you like, I am hoping it will sell well, and we will add this one to the permanent product line instead of just a Chef's Special.

Awesome as always.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Wow, that cake is simply stunning!! I *love* it. Would you share how you made the flower?

Sure, it is actually really easy just a little time consuming, I will do my best to describe with words it is usually easier to just see the process, so here goes!

Start but cutting 2" by 2" squares of acetate or parchment paper i think would work also. Use tempered white chocolate, and starting one at a time pipe a tear drop shape of chocolate on the acetate square ( the tear drop should be in the center from left to right but heavy at the top and tapering to the bottom) use a small off-set spatula pull the tear drop to form the petal again from the top to the bottom. then fold the two sides (the left and the right keeping the tear in the center) of the square up and place a piece of tape (this is to curve the petal).

Then just repeat this process to make all the petals you will need, i like to make a lot of petals in case of breakage, or if i am doing more than one cake.

once the petals are all made and the chocolate has set and started to pull away from the acetate i just cut all the tape off and release all the petals.

then it is just assembling the flower: i create a circle of petals starting on the outside and working my way in. The size of the outer circle will be the size of the flower, then just fill in staggering the petals to form an overlapping look.

Sorry if this sounds a bit hard to follow but really it is a very simple process.

:-)

Eric