• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High End Canadian Restaurant Cookbooks

adey73

Hello Canuck lovers (got family in Ontario but they know nothing) could you please point me in the direction of your best, high end, fancy pants, cook books in the English, please?

Edited by adey73 (log)

Funny this should come up today - Anna N and I were out perusing the cookbooks in a couple of thrift stores today - and bemoaning the fact that there are so few canadian cookbooks. That of course raised the question of 'what is canadian cuisine'?

But I just noticed a thread on the cookbook from Au Pied de Cochon - that one is a winner.

Susur Lee has a very nicely designed book, "Susur", that came out a year or two ago.

From Vancouver, Rob Feenie's first book "Lumiere" is an excellent cookbook. It was originally published about 8 years ago as a hardcover, but is now available in paperback.

What are you looking for? Cookbooks that showcase Canadian cuisine (whatever that may be), or good cookbooks that happen to be written by Canadians?

Got both of Feenie's, Susur, Au Pied de Cochon.

I mean quality books from quality Restaurants not the equivalents Jamie or Nigella;

I want books from people who ply their trade not just their media profile.

Not restaurant inspired but the Duby's books are awesome. The first one (Wild Sweets) is all desserts but the second one (Wild Sweets: Chocolate) has some really nice recipes for the savory side as well. In the second book they give the original recipe as well as an easy(er) version for those who want the flavor with less work. The title may make it sound scary to some but the chocolate (which really does make an appearance in every recipe) is used in a very intelligent and tasteful manner. There is no mountain oysters in milk chocolate soup or liver and onions with white chocolate ganache or anything like that.

Yes, I know I sound like a commercial for the books but I really have enjoyed them a lot and I don't use books often. If you're only interested in restaurant books this won't matter much anyway but if you're looking for quality books from Canadian chefs these have to be on the list.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ah I have got the Duby's books and very good they are too.

But Kerry can you point me further in the direction in those you mentioned?

Here is a list of a bunch of Canadian cookbooks - some restaurant, some not. Both are in there. I wish I could find a way to search the Bon Appetite cookbook store in Montreal - eG'ers and I'd rather support them. Perhaps if you contact them and see if they carry them.

Hello Canuck lovers (got family in Ontario but they know nothing) could you please point me in the direction of your best, high end, fancy pants, cook books in the English, please?

Chapeau is most certainly what you're after. It's a beautiful book (very large) and showcases the work of the best and well known chefs (Mark McEwan, etc). I don't have the book but have leafed through it, stunning photos and high end recipes.

http://www.chapeauleschefs.com/

• 1 month later...

A great book is The Definitive Canadian Wine & Cheese Cookbook by Gurth Pretty and Tony Aspler. The recipes use Canadian cheeses. The side bar has suggested wine pairings, "Make Ahead" suggestions and "Gurth's Notes" which suggests cheese substitutions in case you can't find the ones called for in the recipe.