• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artisan Soy Sauces and Tamari Too

takadi

Can someone recommend a good brand of tamari soy sauce?  Is there such a thing as an organic brand?

I haven't tried it but Eden Foods has an organic tamari on their list.

tamari is technically soy sauce without wheat. It's the liquid byproduct of miso production

As the consumption of wheat by those who are gluten intolerant is a serious matter, I'm going to but in with my own interpretation.

Tamari shouldn't have been made with more than 20% wheat (Generally 10%).

It isn't always wheat free.

As good an explanation as any can be found on this page

http://soyascan.com/HSS/soy_sauce6.php

Scroll down to:

"Tamari-Shoyu. a close relative of Chinese soy sauce, is made with a large percentage of soybeans (80-100%) and little or no wheat (0-20%, average 10%)."

Sometimes soya sauce with more wheat in it is incorrectly labelled as tamari so it's always best to check the ingredients.

Edited by MoGa (log)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to a heads up in the Japan forum I've got my hands on this soy sauce from Kamebishi:

http://www.17daime.com/product/03/index.html (900ml)

Superb!

I also have some of their soy salt (freeze dried soy sauce) but haven't had the chance to taste this yet. I understand some of Kamebishi's products can be sourced in the US, particularly in Oregon, Portland.

Kamebishi has flavoured ice cream with their soy sauce and another related product, they seem to now have soy sauce flavoured chocolates. Their website recommends adding soy salt to mocha ice cream, I'll give this a go in the next few weeks.