• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lobster sashimi

sucio sanchez

Ushiwakamaru used to do it, not sure if they still do, as they may have taken out the lobster tanks post-renovation.

Kanoyama has it occasionally as a special. Since they have daily specials, I'd call and ask.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Oriental Garden does a mean version of lobster sashimi -- you eat from the tail as the lobster is still quivering. I think I read somewhere that the lobster they use for this is sourced from Whole Foods.

Anybody have any recommendations for lobster sashimi? Within the 5 boroughs. thanks

To your original question, I'd call Ushiwakamaru (212) 228-4181 and ask if and when they serve Lobster sashi (JP shorthand). When they had the tanks, naturally they did it best. Kathryn, the tanks are gone with the renovation, now that's where the hostess stands and checks your jacket. Yasuda might occasionally have it, I can ask, but I would suspect so as he sources a lot of shellfish from LI Sound and Maine. Like blowfish (fugu), knowing how to properly clean and serve raw lobster is an advanced sushi art and probably requires a specific license in Japan, which is why I'd probably want to eat it from a Japanese sushi chef who has relocated here after a fair amount of training, before trying it at, say, Oriental Garden. That said, I have eaten a lot of weird shellfish in Chinese restaurants and in China but it's all been cooked.

Edited by raji (log)

Anybody have any recommendations for lobster sashimi? Within the 5 boroughs. thanks

To your original question, I'd call Ushiwakamaru (212) 228-4181 and ask if and when they serve Lobster sashi (JP shorthand). When they had the tanks, naturally they did it best. Kathryn, the tanks are gone with the renovation, now that's where the hostess stands and checks your jacket. Yasuda might occasionally have it, I can ask, but I would suspect so as he sources a lot of shellfish from LI Sound and Maine. Like blowfish (fugu), knowing how to properly clean and serve raw lobster is an advanced sushi art and probably requires a specific license in Japan, which is why I'd probably want to eat it from a Japanese sushi chef who has relocated here after a fair amount of training, before trying it at, say, Oriental Garden. That said, I have eaten a lot of weird shellfish in Chinese restaurants and in China but it's all been cooked.

This is the wrong thread...but just got back from dinner @ ushi. 10 people, we all got the 15 piece special, most of us got two of them...

Service at a table is beyond horrendous, I seriously don't think any place has ever given adequate sushi table service. I certainly have never experienced it. Personally I thought Ushi might be able to do it because they are so set with their 5 piece/tray serving style; but that didn't work out. Took 2 hours before we finished receiving our first 15 pieces each.

IMO, sushi is really only for the bar and only for 2 people at a time. I don't even crave what I ate tonight and if that's all I knew sushi as, I wouldn't think nearly as much of it.

Live lobster sashimi has been a signature item at the Nobu restaurants for a long time.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Soto

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"