• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Noodles/Cup Noodles/Instant Ramen

AmritaBala

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I ate these at a friend's house last summer (she is no cook) and thought they were good for the genre. Bought two packs of 5. I opened the chicken variety first.

The only version of these noodles I can easily get is the mi goreng. They are not soupy noodles.  I see yours are labelled dry noodles. Can I make the assumption that they are also not soupy. Or does the dry refer to the fact that the noodles are dried? It is said there are no silly questions but this might be one of them. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

They are not soupy noodles.  I see yours are labelled dry noodles. Can I make the assumption that they are also not soupy. Or does the dry refer to the fact that the noodles are dried?

No, they aren't soupy. They require 3 mins simmering, then are drained and mixed with the seasoning sachet contents on a plate. In addition to these two, I also get the mi goreng in two versions: spicy and not so spicy.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'd love some advice.  We have some good Asian markets in my area - whole aisles of flavored noodle packages.  I'd love to branch out to something better tasting than the Soy flavored Top Ramen that I've been eating for years.  And, honestly, I like it just fine.  But, yes, it's a little too salty and a little plain.  I would like to try something tastier, but flavor doesn't equal spicy to me.  I detest any mushroomy flavors, curry and seaweed.  But I love chicken, beef, pork, seafood, etc.   So, if you can think of somethingh that would work for me, I'd love to hear about it!  Thank you! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Indonesian Noodles

I ate these at a friend's house last summer (she is no cook) and thought they were good for the genre. Bought two packs of 5. I opened the chicken variety first.

The ingredients list sounds really appetising!

_20230216143717.thumb.jpg.975cd53cf81ff2b49eb483463db87501.jpg

This is from the "chicken" variety. Not a drop of chicken in them.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No, they aren't soupy. They require 3 mins simmering, then are drained and mixed with the seasoning sachet contents on a plate. In addition to these two, I also get the mi goreng in two versions: spicy and not so spicy.

Thanks. Exactly the same as the ones I get. I tend to treat them more as a snack than a meal. I see, though, that they are often supplemented just as the soupy noodles are with eggs, vegetables, etc., to make them into a "balanced" meal. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Exactly the same as the ones I get. I tend to treat them more as a snack than a meal. I see, though, that they are often supplemented just as the soupy noodles are with eggs, vegetables, etc., to make them into a "balanced" meal. 

I guessed but I'm a bit surprised about one thing. Mi goreng is fried noodles; no frying in those instructions. Are they pre-fried and then dried or are they just using a well-known, if sometimes misunderstood 'exotic' name? I'll pick up a pack and try them out some time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'd love some advice. 

I wish I could offer you some advice but I don't have a huge amount of experience with instant noodles. Further, availability in different areas is all over the map. For the most part they are cheap so trying a few different varieties won't break the bank.  I hope somebody else can be a bit more specific.

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I'm not a dry ramen connoisseur, but think these are the best I've tried.

Snapdragon Vietnamese Pho

I'm sorry but phở is not ramen. Phở is made with rice noodles; ramen with wheat noodles, rarely if ever with rice noodles. Also like ramen, phở is the dish, not the noodles. The noodles are bánh phở.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Sorry--this non-connoisseur was lumping all instant noodle-type products into one category. I'd likely even put Rice-a-Roni in the same category. 😉

Don't worry. Most of us North Americans have lost control of the taxonomy of noodles. Precision would be nice but it's an aspiration not a likelihood. 😂

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I had some leftover mapo tofu and I served it over Shin Black spicy ramyun. It was a fiery affair, but I would do it again. And again and again.

It looks very attractive but I don't think I could handle the fire.  Still it's an admirable way to deal with leftovers. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/15/2023 at 10:10 PM, Kim Shook said:

I'd love some advice.  We have some good Asian markets in my area - whole aisles of flavored noodle packages.  I'd love to branch out to something better tasting than the Soy flavored Top Ramen that I've been eating for years.  And, honestly, I like it just fine.  But, yes, it's a little too salty and a little plain.  I would like to try something tastier, but flavor doesn't equal spicy to me.  I detest any mushroomy flavors, curry and seaweed.  But I love chicken, beef, pork, seafood, etc.   So, if you can think of somethingh that would work for me, I'd love to hear about it!  Thank you! 

Try this site.

https://www.theramenrater.com/

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, tomishungry said:

Try this site.

https://www.theramenrater.com/

Thank you!  Do you know if there is some way to search by criteria?  There are thousands on that list and I'm seeing only a few that mention being spicy, and nothing that specifically says NOT spicy. I'm thinking that it might be a good site to check recommendations, but hard to use the way I need to.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you!  Do you know if there is some way to search by criteria?  There are thousands on that list and I'm seeing only a few that mention being spicy, and nothing that specifically says NOT spicy. I'm thinking that it might be a good site to check recommendations, but hard to use the way I need to.  

The ones that advert spicy generally have the spice packet in  a separate sachet. The labeling will usually say "contains" and note the sepoarate packets.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 4:11 AM, Anna N said:

The only version of these noodles I can easily get is the mi goreng.

I obtained some of the Mi Goreng variety (and a re-order of the chicken ones) and the vendor included four 'free' packs of another brand and flavour which weren't even advertised. 麻辣小龙虾拌面 (má là xiǎo lóng xiā bàn miàn) which is Sichuan 'Numbing and Hot' (mala) Crayfish Noodles. Haven't tried them yet, but will report back.

Noodles.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Today I looked more closely at the 'crayfish' noodles in the previous post.

Ingredients as listed in Chinese:

Noodles (Wheat flour, starch, refined palm oil, acetate starch, salt, gluconate powder, hexamethonium. monomethylglycerol fatty acid ester, sodium carbonate, phosphatide, natrium tripolyphosphate, sodium bicarbonate, DL-3 fruit acid, turmeric, riboflavin dibutylhtydroxytoluene, ascorbic pamitate.

Sauce package (Water, refined vegetable oil, salt, edible essence, Pixian bean sauce, white sugar, spicy 8, soy sauce, msg, glucose, oyster sauce, seafood powder seasoning, high fructose corn syrup, chicken fat, chicken stock (chicken bone, water, chicken fat, salt), capsicum oleoresin, chilli oil, chilli red, 5 aflavin nucleotide disodium, vinegar starch, disodium succinate, potassium sorbate, shrimp powder, butter, aspartame (containing phenylalanine).

Vegetable Package (Dehydrated cilantro with Chinese chives)

Yum!

crayfishnoodles.thumb.jpg.894f4d0a936015f98524eebe3d38f3e3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Today I looked more closely at the 'crayfish' noodles in the previous post.

On the bright side stocks of crayfish suffered catastrophic reduction. 

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure there is any crayfish in them. It isn't listed.

Sorry I meant to say that no crayfish were harmed. Poor proofreading on my part. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog