• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Noodles/Cup Noodles/Instant Ramen

AmritaBala

13 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I have some venison heart as well that would go perfectly in a pho.  (We all have that in our freezers too, no?)

Looking forward to your dish.  Love the blood on the knife. Yes we eat animals that used to have beating hearts with blood coursing through. Reality 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new low!

I've mentioned before, in other topics, that scrambled egg with tomatoes is the one dish that everyone in China can cook and the first all kids learn. No need to make it any longer!

Instant scrambled egg and tomato noodles!

20200910_165734.thumb.jpg.e78c8919397fa5972be865ac2d0126c2.jpg

20200910_165752.thumb.jpg.2119db1dbe384c58ae10745c279d5f80.jpg

The second image is on the side of the box. I'm 100% sure it in no way resembles the contents!

Millennia of human advancement and we revert to this! The end is nigh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Can you just explain why the tomato gets to be king and not the egg?  Did it come first?

As someone who has done marketing I see it as classically gender based. Egg -=  female so by default big red is male.

• 1 month later...

7EB5AEB7-CB53-4B25-8F51-E7A75CD91C0E.thumb.jpeg.79bddf4d0b410c787bc85df2b27458c4.jpeg

Lunch today. I added some already cooked mushrooms, shallots and beet greens. Definitely one of the tastier instant noodle broths. Available from Costco in Canada and probably in the US. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I’m glad this tread was recently posted and caught my eye. I have been reading old blogs here and @snowangel posted about MAMA Thai noodles. I dipped my toe in with the basic “chicken flavor” and didn’t use the chili packet as I’m a spice wimpy but I’m a fan. The noodles are superior and the flavor is good. And MAMA has so many flavors— I bought a 10 pack for about $10 on Amazon. I recommend it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 10:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ordered the smaller packet of this pork bone broth back in January and promptly forgot about it. A few days ago a light bulb went on when supplies were running low and I didn't feel like cooking, and we had our first chilly day after a long hot summer. Very good for a packaged concentrate. Salty but porky. A huge improvement on most of the powder packets. Husband agreed. However after twenty minutes I started to feel like I'd mainlined MSG. There must be a lot of it in those packets, and the ingredients are not in English. My husband didn't detect it, but I would warn that anyone sensitive to MSG (like me) to be cautious when trying it. Too bad, because before the dizziness hit me I though I had discovered a great new emergency soup.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/1/2020 at 2:58 AM, MetsFan5 said:

I’m glad this tread was recently posted and caught my eye. I have been reading old blogs here and @snowangel posted about MAMA Thai noodles. I dipped my toe in with the basic “chicken flavor” and didn’t use the chili packet as I’m a spice wimpy but I’m a fan. The noodles are superior and the flavor is good. And MAMA has so many flavors— I bought a 10 pack for about $10 on Amazon. I recommend it. 

I'm a huge fan of MAMA noodles — we mostly eat the roasted pork flavor because my partner has a strong aversion to shrimp. 

This is the antithesis of "easy" -- but Thai cooks go way beyond the basics in doctoring up MAMA noodles. We have tried and liked this recipe for a Thai yum ("salad," sort of) built around them:

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/yum-mama/

One of those dishes that ends up somehow feeling nostalgic even though you've never had it before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've tried them and liked them a lot. I liked them even more than fresh Sun Noodle ramen, though that's mostly because Sun uses an absurd amount of riboflavin to die their noodles yellow -- enough to dye your boiling water yellow. They're really high in sodium though, which I'm not nuts about. I don't remember them tasting especially salty, but that may have been masked by the already-salty ramen broth. The texture is quite nice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I liked them even more than fresh Sun Noodle ramen,

Interesting, as I find the plain Sun (not with any of the broths) pretty good (I think they're all salty). Boiling and rinsing seems to help a little, but yeah, they use a lot of sodium in these things.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

Got interested in jjolmyeon noodles from watching Maangchi videos (YouTube). Jjolmyeon is a chewy noodle served cold. These noodles came frozen & came with packets of sauce. Noodles had a really nice, chewy texture. Sauce wasn't great, sweet without anything to balance it. I will make my own sauce next time. No garnish on this one, but I think nori (dried seaweed) would be good and easy to have on hand.

IMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.616573be76a95d3a4b19a49f42d80d7c.jpeg

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.c64e8e812b8752e4bb0ac9f64324677b.jpeg

IMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.1dce475ccee2fecc2f9f2194e478cfda.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

• 5 months later...

A couple of days ago I took delivery of these Korean seafood ramen noodles. I have eight packets because that was the minimum order.

2.thumb.jpg.44fa321c8737e8a931052eded208647b.jpg

I seldom eat instant anything, but like to have some in the pantry for emergencies. I ate one bag to sample them.

3.thumb.jpg.bb55edc39dbfdb9865a7bceb42b2ca39.jpg

The noodles themselves were very nice. Still al dente (or however you say that in Korean). The soup was very spicy (not a bad thing), but the seafood and vegetable bag was a big disappointment. Two microscopic bits of unidentifiable seafood (probably surimi) and about half a teapoon of minced carrot and seaweed, I think.

5.thumb.jpg.5c51d20952bf7e17fdcba8f3fece7aac.jpg

Definitely another time to forget the supplied extras and just make something with the noodles.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite instant ramen is the Nissin Raoh miso flavored ramen. The noodles are air dried and the broth is delicious. A little doctoring can make something incredibly satisfying, like this king trumpet mushroom bowl I made a while back:

6A66AAA1-4A36-4741-AA67-2DE8EE2E0DC1.thumb.jpeg.733b9d912287d9d3fe6f354fa022d8cb.jpeg

They also make a shoyu version, which I like (but almost always prefer the flavor of the miso broth) and a porky version which I haven't tried. But the noodles themselves are so good that I use them when I make my own ramen broth, as in this delicious bowl. There's an onsen egg under dem scallions:

2049634857_shoyuchickenramen.thumb.jpg.f8808e3c04c76662343dc7e42ad28b24.jpg

Another favorite "instant" noodle are the Prima Taste Curry noodles. The noodles take 7 minutes, but the texture is amazing... much more robust than ramen. The broth itself though... that's what sets the Prima Taste apart from others. Each pouch contains a dry powdery mix of some sort of fatty somethingorother and another pouch of awesome curry paste. It tastes phenomenal. Restaurant quality for sure. Spicy hot, but not too spicy hot. PT also makes a delicious laksa noodle that's quite similar, but there's a bunch of dried seafood in the curry paste and it will make your house/office/whatever smell like HOT SPICY SEAFOOD, so I tend to stick to the curry to avoid offending anyone within nose-shot. It's also a bit hotter in spice than the curry. Both products look basically the same in the bowl, so I can't remember if this bowl was curry or laksa.

2223C34D-B62D-4C73-938C-DB6C69AF905D.thumb.jpeg.b2f219b1669e5ee41045235374b961ee.jpeg

So easy, so delicious. Those are some IQF frozen shrimp I thawed out in water real quick, tossed in curry powder and oil, and did a quick sauté on. You can easily do all that and slice your scallions by the time the noodles are done cooking. I often throw a boiled egg on there. And I'll be the first to admit that I usually eat this over the sink while wearing a napkin bib because that curry is no joke, and the slurping spatter is a serious stain hazard. 

• Like 5

I forgot to include an obligatory shout out to Shin Black noodle blocks (not the cups). Tasty and spicy, but also kind of low quality (fried noodles and freeze dried veg bits that never fully hydrate). These are more likely to give you the "oh no, what did I just do?!" feeling when you crush a bowl real fast. Kind of like a McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese. It's not bad while you're eating it and the flavor is alright, but once you stop eating it, it kind of hangs out with your body/memory longer than it should.

Also a fan of Iron Chef Morimoto branded Sapporo Ichiban "Momosan" noodles. I had a six pack of the chicken flavor during the height of the pandemic and really liked them. Good air dried noodles... a bit more dainty in size and texture compared to the Nissin Raohs. And the broth is quite good for instant chicken ramen. Worth a try.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, btbyrd said:

My favorite instant ramen is the Nissin Raoh miso flavored ramen. The

I was surprised to find that I could get these from amazon.ca. I was about to do a happy dance until I discovered that I would be paying $5+ for a serving!

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 5:00 AM, Chimayo Joe said:

Especially looking forward to trying Indomie Mi Goreng Fried Noodle,

I have just discovered these and I expect they will become a permanent fixture in my “flight” of instant noodles.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog