• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

22 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Got these pot one cos ... Kung Fu Panda 🤷‍♀️

20200823_211506.thumb.jpg.cdbed29afe512daaacea530d5cf93a66.jpg

That is the most common brand I see here. Can't stand the things myself. All  my friends call them "train noodles", as in the past that was all you could really get to eat on China's cripplingly slow trains on your 36 hour or more journey to Beijing or Shanghai. The trains supplied boiling water to hydrate the nasty things.

Over the last (surprisingly) few years the entire train network has been overhauled and trains are up to three or four times faster. I recently paid a visit to Guangzhou (Canton). Went in the morning; attended to business; had lunch and returned home the same day. Only five years ago it was a 12-14 hour trip each way!

And there is no boiling water anymore. No one needs it!

The end is nigh!

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Got these pot one cos ... Kung Fu Panda 🤷‍♀️

20200823_211506.thumb.jpg.cdbed29afe512daaacea530d5cf93a66.jpg

That is the most common brand I see here. Can't stand the things myself. All  my friends call them "train noodles", as in the past that was all you could really get to eat on China's cripplingly slow trains on your 36 hour or more journey to Beijing or Shanghai. The trains supplied boiling water to hydrate the nasty things.

Over the last (surprisingly) few years the entire train network has been overhauled and trains are up to three of four hours faster. I recently paid a visit to Guangzhou (Canton). Went in the morning; attended to business; had lunch and returned home the same day. Only five years ago it was a 12-14 hour trip each way!

And there is no boiling water anymore. No one needs it!

The end is nigh!