• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cliveden House

I am thinking about going to Cliveden on a late deal for the first weekend of my honeymoon in a couple of weeks time and just wondered if any one had been to the Terrace dining room recently. This is unfortunately the only option on a Sunday evening as Waldo's is closed :-(. Any feedback would be useful as dinner if we go will add an extra £200 onto the already very costly 2 night stay.

Cheers.

Been there over a year ago and was not impressed. Although there was nothing wrong with the food, it did nothing to support the grandeur of Cliveden. Could be better now. Fairly good wine list though. Retrospectively, we should have driven down to Bray ...

Robert Thompson ( ex head at Winteringham Fields) is now the chef and bloody good his food looks too. You can see G Schwab's influence in his dishes. Small article, about him in the April 08 edition of Olive magazine.

Robert Thompson ( ex head at Winteringham Fields) is now the chef and bloody good his food looks too.  You can see G Schwab's influence in his dishes. Small article, about him in the April 08 edition of Olive magazine.

chef of waldo's or the terrace?

I ate at the terrace year or two ago & it really wasnt very nice at all

robbies soley in charge of waldos i believe.

Gary is absolutely right. Apologies.

Paul have you considered the Waterside Inn for a Sunday night stay? They do a rather good deal for that particular night which I have bleated on about on at length on The Waterside Inn thread.

robbies soley in charge of waldos i believe.

Gary is absolutely right. Apologies.

Paul have you considered the Waterside Inn for a Sunday night stay? They do a rather good deal for that particular night which I have bleated on about on at length on The Waterside Inn thread.

Have thought about that one and then thought some more... Not quite as spectacular as Cliveden though was my final conclusion although I might give them a buzz to see what they have available (it is only five days away now).... gulp, :shock: run, :huh: time to hide :wacko: and come to my senses.....

[

Bapi

Where can I find out about the Sunday Night deal- sounds perfect for a overdue bday present for hubbie!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 3 weeks later...

After finally crashing back down to earth after honeymoon I thought I would report back that The Terrace really was surprisingly good, firmly at 1 star standard. Will report back fully when I've got the menu in front of me.

• 1 month later...

I'm being stupid, I know but I can't find anything about Robert Thompson on the about the chaf page? Is it somewhere else?

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I'm being stupid, I know but I can't find anything about Robert Thompson on the about the chaf page? Is it somewhere else?

I guess it is just waiting to be updated

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)