• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Denver - looking for what I can't get in Europe

My first eGullet post! I'm very excited, and looking forward to all kinds of "Southwest" wisdom...

I am being dragged to Denver for a week in late May for my partner's daughter's high school graduation. My partner, being a clever sort of fellow, has promised to make it worth my while, culinarily speaking. I'm looking to pack in a few good meals of the types of cuisine I can't get here at home in Brussels -- and have trawled the boards plus the Westword column in the Denver paper and come up with the following:

--Vietnamese

New Saigon

Kim Ba

--BBQ

Big Hoss Bar-B-Q

Yazoo Barbeque Company

--Mexican

Taqueria Patzcuaro

Tacos D.F.

Tacos y Salsas

(These all seem to be good old hole in the walls -- is there something like a Frontera Grill, i.e., careful takes on authentic regional Mexican?)

--Italian

Luca d'Italia

Osteria Marco

Any comments, critiques, red flags, alternative suggestions?

We'll also being doing lunch or dinner at Rioja, because I had a lovely meal there the only other time I've been to Denver, and Sushi Den, because it's my partner's favorite sushi place and good sushi in Brussels is scarcer than hen's teeth.

(I'm not inclined to go to Fruition, because I figure that kind of seasonal, refined gastro-bistro cooking is something I can and do get regularly in Paris...but if I'm wrong, I can be convinced otherwise.)

Thanks in advance!

If your partner already knows and loves Sushi Den, you might go for their new sibling, Izakaya Den. The line in my signature is from a review of the place.

Also, check out the 'best of' list in Westword, which just came out in the last few weeks.

Westword's Best of Food 2008

Have fun!

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

My first eGullet post! I'm very excited, and looking forward to all kinds of "Southwest" wisdom...

--Mexican

Taqueria Patzcuaro

Tacos D.F.

Tacos y Salsas

(These all seem to be good old hole in the walls -- is there something like a Frontera Grill, i.e., careful takes on authentic regional Mexican?)

--Italian

Luca d'Italia

Osteria Marco

Taco de Mexico is a must-visit for me, especially for breakfast - the carnitas burrito smothered with onions and salsa comes very highly recommended (it's not smothered with onions and salsa, which sounds kind of disgusting, but when you order a carnitas burrito smothered they will ask you if you want onions and salsa and you should say yes).

Luca d'Italia has been missing more than hitting for me lately, but I can't think of an alternative Italian recommendation - that is kind of a tough category for Denver.

If it's the same Tacos y Salsas that I've been to (on Colfax, east of Quebec, can't remember the exact cross-street), their carnitas are great for lunch/dinner--definitely dive Mexican, but really yummy.

As for Italian, there's always Frasca in Boulder, my absolute favorite. I've had good luck at Luca D'Italia, but I've heard bad stories too. I always sit at the bar and order the tasting menu with the wine pairings and I've never been disappointed.

Potager is also usually a great choice. It's not any of your specific cuisines, but it's a great Denver restaurant.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

• 2 weeks later...