• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your official state cocktail?

TAPrice

Forget state birds and rocks. If all goes well, the sazerac will soon be the official cocktail of Louisiana. Here is a brief article on the move to make this official:

Times Picayune: Official State Cocktail

Would this make Louisiana the only state to have an official state cocktail?

What would be appropriate for other states? Perhaps we can start a grassroots movement across the nation.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Forget state birds and rocks. If all goes well, the sazerac will soon be the official cocktail of Louisiana. Here is a brief article on the move to make this official:

What would be appropriate for other states? Perhaps we can start a grassroots movement across the nation.

As cool as this sounds on the surface, I could see it being abused. I haven't been there since I was of age, but the tales of New Orleans Sazeracs are not usually reassuring. Or maybe I'm just being a fuddy-duddy.

Unfortunately if Texas were to have one it would undoubtedly be "Crown 'n Coke"

feh

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I'm sure many would think it's the Mai Tai - however - at almost every local party

and in bars and restaurants you hear people say "Bud LIght & a Bucket." While it

is nothing I would drink apparently bud light in a large/short glass of ice is a favorite

drink of choice. Sometimes it's Coor's LIght or just plain "Bud & a Bucket."

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

As cool as this sounds on the surface, I could see it being abused. I haven't been there since I was of age, but the tales of New Orleans Sazeracs are not usually reassuring. Or maybe I'm just being a fuddy-duddy.

feh

Hmm... I think we may do better. Margarita, maybe? Of course, the way a lot of the margaritas are made leaves a lot to be desired.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

feh

Hmm... I think we may do better. Margarita, maybe? Of course, the way a lot of the margaritas are made leaves a lot to be desired.

Imbibe! indicates that California (being closest to Tiajuana) might have the better claim on that.

Beats my suggestion tho.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Pennsylvania is going to have to go with a Club Soda. Nothing in it unless it's basic vodka or gin. With a state controlled monopoly, I can't get a fraction of what I need here to run a decent beverage program. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

List of Official State beverages:

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_beverages.htm

Seems like "milk" is the cocktail of choice. It is so wholesome and politically correct. :)

I hadn't heard of Conecuh Ridge Whiskey, the official spirit of Alabama, before reading that list. Guess Alabama and Louisiana will be the only states officially celebrating alcohol.

Here is summary of a very long Wikipedia article on the drink:

Conecuh Ridge Whiskey, officially marketed as Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Alabama Style Whiskey, is a recreation of a high-quality aged moonshine whiskey which was produced illegally in Alabama during the mid to late 20th century. In 2004 it was designated the official "State Spirit" of Alabama by legislative resolution.[1] Later the same year the company's founder Kenny May was charged with several violations of Alabama liquor laws, to which he pled guilty. After a 15 month period where the whiskey was unavailable for purchase in Alabama, it can now be purchased from Alabama Crown Distributor.

I wouldn't count on most bars being able to make a decent sazerac in New Orleans. Pretty much any good restaurant, though, will mix you a good one. It's one of the most popular pre-dinner drinks. I doubt too many restaurants in other states would even recognize the name.

Like you, though, I wonder if this is a mixed blessing. Will we see all kinds of bad sazeracs sold to tourists? If it passes, will the frozen daiquiri machines on Bourbon Street starting selling a sazerac flavor?

I wouldn't count on most bars being able to make a decent sazerac in New Orleans. Pretty much any good restaurant, though, will mix you a good one. It's one of the most popular pre-dinner drinks. I doubt too many restaurants in other states would even recognize the name.

Like you, though, I wonder if this is a mixed blessing. Will we see all kinds of bad sazeracs sold to tourists? If it passes, will the frozen daiquiri machines on Bourbon Street starting selling a sazerac flavor?

Two words:

Mango Sazerac

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

With as Dutch-Reformed=Conservative as it is in western Michigan, I'm sure our cocktail would be 'tepid water.' :laugh:

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

I think that Kentucky's state beverage (with spirits) is the Mint Julep.

However Bourbon and Branch is probably a close second!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Washington state ..I did not google it but am guessing it would be ..a Microbrew ...well that would be my first choice for sure...or someone would come up with some coffee drink...worse ...he horrific Appletini (shiver)

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

here in Georgia we are looking at either sweet iced tea or Coca-Cola. If you asked most folks they would answer "swee-tea" but if it went before the General Assembly the Coca-Cola lobby would be all over it and that would be named. As a matter of fact I am kind of surprised the Coca-Cola company has not done that already.

There is a Georgia Mint Julep according to Ted Haigh's book but I had never heard of the thing until I read his book.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Of course, as I'm sure everyone knows, here in RI coffee milk is the state beverage. There's no alcoholic drink vying for contention, and a visit through the cocktail menus of area restaurants would suggest no real Rhode Island-y options. Must do more research, clearly.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I think that Kentucky's state beverage (with spirits) is the Mint Julep.

However Bourbon and Branch is probably a close second!

I have to disagree with the Mint Julep, it's probably the official drink of the Kentucky Derby but other than that very few people actually drink them on a regular basis. Bourbon on the rocks or with a splash of branch is the only way to go!

And where in the hack did milk comes from on the official drink list? Our politicians certainly don't drink it, they must've been hung over and trying to reform when they passed that as the official drink!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think the state cocktail of New York should just be the Cocktail.

Word.

Or it could be the Manhattan + Bronx + Brooklyn + any other in-state names...

...In other words, calculated to lead one to the degree of insobriety found on the average New York City street on a weekend.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Alas, Louisiana will not have an official state cocktail. James Gill, the local paper's sharp tongued British op-ed writer, had this to say:

State senators have refused to name the Sazerac the state cocktail, but not because, after choosing an official crustacean, fruit and fossil, for instance, they have had enough of this nonsense. They just don't want to give the impression that Louisiana likes a tipple. Gerald Long, R-Winnfield, was among those who spoke against the bill honoring the Sazerac. It "affects our image," he said.

The Longs of Winnfield have not hitherto been known for an aversion to strong drink, at least not in the case of Huey, who taught New York barkeeps how to make a Ramos Gin Fizz, and Earl, who was famously plastered when he harangued the Legislature on integration.

Although I am not from Wisconsin, my wife is. And after being well-schooled in their production, I would have to guess that the Brandy Manhattan would be their state drink. Followed by the muddled-orange-and-cherry version of the Brandy Old Fashioned. Followed by the brandy-bitters-Coke version of the "Brandy Old Fashioned".

For New Jersey I’d have to say the spirit has to be applejack.

Though no longer “popular” within the state itself as I'm sure MANY of the inhabitants either never heard of it or if they have, don’t know what it is.

If a state cocktail is to be chosen, it must contain applejack ala the Jack Rose, the Jersey Lighthouse or the simple Jersey Sour.

If not an applejack cocktail than the Jersey Cocktail at the least: Sugar, bitters and carbonated cider

Agreed?

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

For New Jersey I’d have to say the spirit has to be applejack.

Though no longer “popular” within the state itself as I'm sure MANY of the inhabitants either never heard of it or if they have, don’t know what it is.

If a state cocktail is to be chosen, it must contain applejack ala the Jack Rose, the Jersey Lighthouse or the simple Jersey Sour.

If not an applejack cocktail than the Jersey Cocktail at the least: Sugar, bitters and carbonated cider

Agreed?

Rich

I like the idea of applejACK IN THE nj COCKTAIL--BUT i WOULD GUEss it's more likely to be Hillary's favorite drink--a shot and a beer--or a tequila shooter, maybe?