• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes That Rock: 2008

maggiethecat

Hi folks --

Wanted to revive this thread, and thought I'd mention the David Lebovitz Easy Jam Tart -- fantastic!

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/07/jam_tart.html

The crust could not be easier -- no rolling, you actually push it into the tart pan -- and was flaky and buttery with a hint of cornmeal. The amount of jam is just perfect -- just the right balance for the crust. And it really is as he says -- the whole thing gets significantly better the second day, and stays just as good the third day... In fact I really think it is worth making a day in advance to let the flavors meld -- it is so nice to have an elegant dessert that can be made the day ahead of a big dinner party...

Emily

Thanks for the recommendation. This was just the thing for my sweet tooth. I clicked through to the original recipe and used all flour instead of part cornmeal. I also made small tarts to use up the assorted jams leftover in the fridge and the last of a jar of dulce de leche. Wow, was that one good.

Hi folks --

Wanted to revive this thread, and thought I'd mention the David Lebovitz Easy Jam Tart -- fantastic!

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2008/07/jam_tart.html

The crust could not be easier -- no rolling, you actually push it into the tart pan -- and was flaky and buttery with a hint of cornmeal. The amount of jam is just perfect -- just the right balance for the crust. And it really is as he says -- the whole thing gets significantly better the second day, and stays just as good the third day... In fact I really think it is worth making a day in advance to let the flavors meld -- it is so nice to have an elegant dessert that can be made the day ahead of a big dinner party...

Emily

Thanks for the recommendation. This was just the thing for my sweet tooth. I clicked through to the original recipe and used all flour instead of part cornmeal. I also made small tarts to use up the assorted jams leftover in the fridge and the last of a jar of dulce de leche. Wow, was that one good.

I love the idea of using up the odds and ends of jams and curds I have in the fridge in small tarts. Cool.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Thanks for sharing everyone! For your consideration.....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-...a-verde-recipe/

This raisin-caper salsa verde is INSANELY good! I have general disinterest in raisins, but they totally make this recipe click. To be honest, I've used it on much more than just lamb- also goes very well with chicken or any fish. It also makes a stellar vegan dish when stirred into a combination of cooled couscous and tender-cooked white beans. I have a semi-regular cooking buddy and we've made this 3 times within the past 2 months. We rarely repeat anything.....

Do try it as is for unavoidable bliss! But if you're like me and utterly incapable of following recipes to the letter, I'll say that:

- I don't bother with rehydrating the raisins if I don't have time

-I'll often substitute good olives (chopped) for the capers because I have olives on hand more often

-I usually substitute the allium component out of convenience (swap out the shallot for a lesser quantity of minced garlic or onion/chopped scallion or chives)

-For fun, I throw in a finely chopped fresh chilie or a pinch of dried red pepper flakes

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is making me hungry!

Here's a few discoveries that I've now made repeatedly.

From the first Barefoot Contessa cookbook,

Her roast chicken with simple pan gravy is to die for, juicy and flavorful and comes out perfect every time.

Her grilled lemon chicken is something I've made a half dozen times this summer for cookouts and people always ask for the recipe. It's so easy, just lots of lemon juice, fresh thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper. Leftovers make fantastic chicken salad with just a touch of mayo.

Her brownies rule. Best most decadent recipe.

Which leads to a chocolate dessert I discovered on the Orangette blog and is swoonworthy. Chocoholics love it. It's an almost flourless cake that ends up like a dense, rich, super moist bit of heaven. I served it last night with raspberry sauce and whipped cream.

I fell in love with brisket and short ribs last year and tried a number of recipes. This one is the hands down must make again winner that had me licking my fingers. And it's one of the most simple with only 5 ingredients, beef, plum tomatoes, lots of shallots, coarse dijon mustard, and red wine. I made it a day ahead which helped with skimming off the congealed fat, and let the flavors meld. Served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes. One unique aspect of the recipe is that you reduce 4 cups of wine at the beginning, down to one, and use that as the braising liquid. Can't wait to make this one again, will try on brisket next time.

Braised Short Ribs with Dijon Mustard

• 2 weeks later...

We used Anna Nanni's Ragu alla Bolognese" to make her recipe for Spinach Lasagne. WOW! The pasta was so thin, light, and tender. The simpicity of the pasta with the Bolognese, the "besciamella", and Parm. Gives a whole new meaning to lasagne. I do not think that I can ever go back to the heavy laden typical lasagne again. If you go to the trouble (It's not really trouble. You just need time to get the Bolognese made.) Anyway, if you make the recipe, save 4 C. and make the lasagna. We actually doubled the Bolognese recipe when we made it. We had a couple of nice meals with just the sauce and pasta. We froze the rest, took it out on Saturday, and made the lasagne on Sunday. Well worth trying!!!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

• 3 weeks later...

So I have to add this cheater's chicken broth as one of my favourite recipes discovered this year. It is just amazing what a difference this makes to the store-bought stuff. I know, I know. I could make it from scratch but like everyone else, I often need shortcuts and this is one I am not ashamed of. :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi folks --

Made something new last night that was a huge winner. It had to be a pantry-staples only night, and I had some kidney beans, so looked up some indian recipes using kidney beans and found this one for Rajma, essentially an Indian kidney bean stew. Made just a few modifications -- recipe calls for 4 cups of water but that would have been too soupy, so I used 2 cups. Also, I used a 15 oz can of diced roasted tomatoes rather than fresh, and cooked the whole thing for longer so the flavors could meld. Served over rice it was fantastic -- savory, subtle... And made a great lunch today! I was so happy to try it, since my efforts at Indian food have been hit or miss... This was a hit!

http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/rajma.htm

Emily

So I have to add this cheater's chicken broth as one of my favourite recipes discovered this year.  It is just amazing what a difference this makes to the store-bought stuff.  I know, I know.  I could make it from scratch but like everyone else, I often need shortcuts and this is one I am not ashamed of. :raz:

This looks interesting Anna. Do you use red or white wine? The recipe says white, but the directions mention red.

So I have to add this cheater's chicken broth as one of my favourite recipes discovered this year.  It is just amazing what a difference this makes to the store-bought stuff.  I know, I know.  I could make it from scratch but like everyone else, I often need shortcuts and this is one I am not ashamed of. :raz:

I have an even easier way. Either buy a rotisserie chicken or roast your own, I've done it both ways with equal success. Take the meat off the chicken, throw the chicken carcass in a stock pot, add an onion, carrot, celery bay leaf, garlic clove, just cover the chicken with tap water, and let it rip on the stovetop, on slow simmer for a few hours.

I love fresh roasted chicken, so often do this on a sunday afternoon, stuffing the chicken with a whole head of garlic, lemon, thyme and rosemary, rubbing butter all over, and scattering sliced onion in the pan. Then when the chicken comes out of the oven, I take the meat off, then dump everything, carmelized onions, chicken and drippings into the stock pot, cover with water and go. All the fat gets skimmed off next day but contributes great flavor, and since I'm roasting a chicken anyway, I get an added bonus of great stock from the same chicken. Next time I think I will also include the neck and take the wings off before roasting and add them to the stock to see how that turns out.

This makes a really delicious, richly flavored and colored stock with zero effort. Pop the stock in the fridge overnight, skim off the fat layer and then use or freeze. I freeze mine in little foodsaver bags in 1.5 cup portions, so when I need stock for a recipe I just pull out a bag.

:biggrin: Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

This looks interesting Anna. Do you use red or white wine? The recipe says white, but the directions mention red.

I use white and have never noticed that it said red in the directions! :shock:

ETA - And I still don't see any mention of red wine! Is it my new glasses maybe?

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The second to last sentence in the first paragraph of the directions:

"...the red wine and tomatoes, two umami superstars."

Red wine seem like an odd addition, but then again, so do tomatoes.  Who knows?

Ah so... I see it now. I think I got it from an original source and there is no mention of red wine in that one.

I thought the tomato an odd thing but not nearly as odd as the cloves but when they are all strained out and you are left with the broth, the flavours seem just right and the broth has a lovely mouthfeel.

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

This makes a really delicious, richly flavored and colored stock with zero effort. Pop the stock in the fridge overnight, skim off the fat layer and then use or freeze. I freeze mine in little foodsaver bags in 1.5 cup portions, so when I need stock for a recipe I just pull out a bag.

:biggrin:  Pam

When we were a family of 5, I often made stock in this way but now we are down to just 2 I rarely cook (or buy) a whole chicken so the canned broth method works better for me.

My 2004 eG Blog

When we were a family of 5, I often made stock in this way but now we are down to just 2 I rarely cook (or buy) a whole chicken so the canned broth method works better for me.

We are a family of 2 but I do use the roasted chicken method. I pick all the chicken meat off in shreds and package by dark/breast and small bags that would be used maybe for a chicken quesadilla or a single serving of soup. The stock gets frozen in pint containers. Rarely does either the meat or broth/stock stay in the freezer for more than a few weeks. Of course I leave enough out for the week upcoming. I also love that I get so much good stuff for so little money. Oh- admittedly I keep chicken feet and other meat trimmings in the freezer, so they go into the pot as well. I'm talking about scraps I used to toss, and the feet for example I bought yesterday @ $3.50 for 28 big ones which I re-packed in 4/bag- great deal for the impact they lend.

Before the year gets away from me, I wanted to mention how much I have been enjoying the coleslaw recipe from "The Complete Meat Cookbook" by Aidells & Kelly--the one which was such a hit at the most recent Heartland Gathering. Since I cook for one, I shredded half a head of cabbage, combined it with the onion, and kept refrigerated, adding dressing to each serving as needed.

I also used the dressing for a dip for cauliflower, and it was wonderful, but my favorite use was to put the slaw on a grill kielbasa sandwich. What a versatile dip/dressing this is.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Before the year gets away from me, I wanted to mention how much I have been enjoying the coleslaw recipe from "The Complete Meat Cookbook" by Aidells & Kelly--the one which was such a hit at the most recent Heartland Gathering.  Since I cook for one, I shredded half a head of cabbage, combined it with the onion, and kept refrigerated, adding dressing to each serving as needed.

I also used the dressing for a dip for cauliflower, and it was wonderful, but my favorite use was to put the slaw on a grill kielbasa sandwich.  What a versatile dip/dressing this is.

:wub: Sigh. I love that cole slaw. I'm so glad you do, too.

This gruyere, mustard and thyme toast has made it into my permanent file. So simple. So good! I eat it as is for breakfast or a light lunch but it also makes a great accompaniment to a bowl of soup.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to this thread Nigella's Sausage and Chicken Bake is a staple.  Going to try the Tomato Gorgozola Sauce this week and the Bolognese Ragu!

My contribution is this quick and easy pasta that everyone in my home and guests rave about:

Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard

meredithla, That recipe was really good! I just made it yesterday, since my boyfriend is a bit of a nut when it comes to mustard and we have more jars than we know what to do with.

He actually proposed that the recipe might be good with beer instead of the wine, particularly a tripel or a saison (I should mention that we pretty much never have wine around, so a suitable beer substitution would be great). Something drier and yeasty. Might have to try it next time...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

This gruyere, mustard and thyme toast has made it into my permanent file.  So simple.  So good!  I eat it as is for breakfast or a light lunch but it also makes a great accompaniment to a bowl of soup.

We tried this and it's really, really good. So good that I'm going to start looking for better mustard!

I love things like this. It's the kind of thing that will make an excellent supper on nights when I just have no energy to cook - and there have been a lot of those lately. Thanks, Anna!

. . .

We tried this and it's really, really good.  So good that I'm going to start looking for better mustard!

I love things like this.  It's the kind of thing that will make an excellent supper on nights when I just have no energy to cook - and there have been a lot of those lately.  Thanks, Anna!

I have some cave-aged gruyere on hand and that kicks it up a notch or two. I think a few experiments with different mustards would be well worth while.

Simple, tasty flavour combos really get me excited.

My 2004 eG Blog