• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes That Rock: 2008

maggiethecat

Ok, all of you plugging the balsamic mushrooms has really made me want to try them... I just bought a bunch of mushrooms at the store -- any chance someone can PM me that recipe?

And Priscilla -- you inspired me, so tonight I'm trying that braised halibut recipe, except with cod, as the price of halibut was just more than I was willing to pay for the moment...

A question for ErikaK and Pierogi -- I looked at that Chicken and Sausage recipe, and it says to marinate with the 1/2 cup of olive oil and then pour all that oil into the baking pan. That doesn't make the end product VERY greasy? I'm struggling to get my mind around the recipe (but very tempted to make it as I've got some good sausage to use)...

Sorry I didn't see this question until today

It wasn't too greasy at all, in fact the lemon/chicken fat/olive oil, carmelization made for an enjoyable "pan sauce". Just lift everything out of the pan with a slotted spoon and drizzle with as much of the pan drippings as you like (or none if you prefer)

A question for ErikaK and Pierogi -- I looked at that Chicken and Sausage recipe, and it says to marinate with the 1/2 cup of olive oil and then pour all that oil into the baking pan. That doesn't make the end product VERY greasy? I'm struggling to get my mind around the recipe (but very tempted to make it as I've got some good sausage to use)...

Sorry I didn't see this question until today

It wasn't too greasy at all, in fact the lemon/chicken fat/olive oil, carmelization made for an enjoyable "pan sauce". Just lift everything out of the pan with a slotted spoon and drizzle with as much of the pan drippings as you like (or none if you prefer)

I agree, Erika, the sauce was not at all oily. I originally thought the sausages would add lots of oilyness to the sauce but noooooo. Also, because you keep the chicken skin side up the entire bake and only turn the sausages to brown them, the skin is so crispy and wonderful.....really my favorite part. And, even though the wings are so small compared to the other pieces, they were cooked beautifully. They were the first thing I ate!

I haven't had leftovers yet, but those in my family that have had them just nuked, found the meat still moist.

Donna

And Priscilla -- you inspired me, so tonight I'm trying that braised halibut recipe, except with cod, as the price of halibut was just more than I was willing to pay for the moment...

Hope you like it. Give us the verdict!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Ok, made a bastardized version of the braised halibut Priscilla posted -- used cod, white wine and water instead of the stock, and a little parsley instead of the mint! So this really hardly counts as a true assessment of the original recipe! The concoction I made was lovely, though I felt it needed a little zip... I wish I'd had lemon in the house, as I thought some lemon zest would have been nice. But it was light and spring-like, and the bacon and cod were a good combination.

Edited to say that thinking about it, I've done light-flavored fish before where it is pan seared and then served with a fresh pea and mint sauce (essentially fresh peas and mint, pureed with a little sauteed shallot and chicken broth), and I think I prefer the peas and mint in that form with fish, where it seems to pack more flavor punch, than poached.

Edited by Emily_R (log)

Based on the opinions here, I'm really wanting to make Nigella's chicken & sausage dish for guests this weekend.

So, the potato chunks are marinated the same amount of time as the chicken, as well as taking the same amount of time baking, is that correct? The potatoes aren't mentioned in the original recipe, but doing them all together seem SO tempting...and looks delicious in the photos posted here!

Made this recipe for Salsa Verde Carnitas because I had the ingredients and not much else in the house. Used jar of Frontera salsa verde that was in the pantry (I have NO idea why/when/where I bought it). It was just one of those days when I went to Google for inspiration on making due with what I had...

So easy and so good!

I want to do it again soon, with my own homemade salsa verde.

Ok, made a bastardized version of the braised halibut Priscilla posted -- used cod, white wine and water instead of the stock, and a little parsley instead of the mint! So this really hardly counts as a true assessment of the original recipe! The concoction I made was lovely, though I felt it needed a little zip... I wish I'd had lemon in the house, as I thought some lemon zest would have been nice. But it was light and spring-like, and the bacon and cod were a good combination.

Edited to say that thinking about it, I've done light-flavored fish before where it is pan seared and then served with a fresh pea and mint sauce (essentially fresh peas and mint, pureed with a little sauteed shallot and chicken broth), and I think I prefer the peas and mint in that form with fish, where it seems to pack more flavor punch, than poached.

You really can't go wrong w/ peas & mint, it's one of the classic combinations.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Based on the opinions here, I'm really wanting to make Nigella's chicken & sausage dish for guests this weekend. 

So, the potato chunks are marinated the same amount of time as the chicken, as well as taking the same amount of time baking, is that correct?  The potatoes aren't mentioned in the original recipe, but doing them all together seem SO tempting...and looks delicious in the photos posted here!

The pre-bake pix upthread make the potatoes look distinctly UNmarinated. I like the idea of adding potatoes but marinating them seems couterintuitive--they will soak up plenty of flavor during cooking, and it's possible that marinating them would make the marinade/sauce starchy or cloudy. Another good addition would be fresh artichoke hearts, tucked in maybe half-way through the cooking.

So, the potato chunks are marinated the same amount of time as the chicken, as well as taking the same amount of time baking, is that correct?  The potatoes aren't mentioned in the original recipe, but doing them all together seem SO tempting...and looks delicious in the photos posted here!

I only marinated the chicken. When the chicken was placed on the baking sheet, I just nestled in the sausages and halved potatoes. Baked everything at 425 degrees, only turning the sausages about half way through the bake.

Donna

Regarding the chicken and sausage dish. I think adding more onions to the marinade would be a great idea as well. The final baked onions were very good as well and I wish I had had more of them to eat.

I guess if one was worried about it making the chicken taste too oniony, one could just nestle in some more onion pieces on the baking sheet.

Donna

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/dining/0...xprod=permalink

On another note, Pax -- I've always wanted to make that milk braised pork loin, but have been confused -- did you strain the sauce to get out the clumps of curdled milk, or does it get served *with* the clumps?

I'm sorry I didn't answer you, I didn't see your question. I served it exactly as it came out of the pan. I didn't do anything to it. It did look a little odd but seriously, do yourself a big favour and make it. Also, I served it over mashed potatoes so it just kind of soaked right in. The second time I made it I did stir it up to see if it would be more visually appealing but it just looked like cream gone bad, so I HAD at that point to mix in a roux. It wasn't anywhere near as good.

It's such a hit my 6 yo put a bunch of Easter Candy in the crockpot and poured milk on top of it. She told me she was braising her candy in milk just like me. Good thing she can't turn the slow cooker on. :raz:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

The focaccia recipe in Cuisine at Home is the easiest, best focaccia bread I have ever made. Takes 15 minutes hands on time, tops. The link is here:

http://www.cuisinemembersplus.com/page/vie...dID=3343&type=1

A question for pierogi - I am new to blue cheeses. After reading your rave about the tomato and Gorgonzola pasta, I rushed over to my copy of the mag and looked it up. A question - how strong is the gorgonzola? The only blue cheese I have used so far is Cambozola which is, as I understand it, fairly mild as blue cheeses go. I'd like to give this recipe a try.

The focaccia recipe in Cuisine at Home is the easiest, best focaccia bread I have ever made.  Takes 15 minutes hands on time, tops.  The link is here:

A question for pierogi - I am new to blue cheeses.  After reading your rave about the tomato and Gorgonzola pasta, I rushed over to my copy of the mag and looked it up.  A question - how strong is the gorgonzola?  The only blue cheese I have used so far is Cambozola which is, as I understand it, fairly mild as blue cheeses go.  I'd like to give this recipe a try.

I'm just about to put together a foccacia from Fine Cooking( peter reinhardt) and I wanted to see the CAH recipe, but the link if for members only. Could you PM it to me please???

It's such a hit my 6 yo put a bunch of Easter Candy in the crockpot and poured milk on top of it. She told me she was braising her candy in milk just like me.  Good thing she can't turn the slow cooker on. :raz:

Thanks for answering Pax -- and that story is just fantastic -- love it! I will definitely give it a go (the pork, not the easter candy) in the coming few weeks...

Emily

The focaccia recipe in Cuisine at Home is the easiest, best focaccia bread I have ever made.  Takes 15 minutes hands on time, tops.  The link is here:

A question for pierogi - I am new to blue cheeses.  After reading your rave about the tomato and Gorgonzola pasta, I rushed over to my copy of the mag and looked it up.  A question - how strong is the gorgonzola?  The only blue cheese I have used so far is Cambozola which is, as I understand it, fairly mild as blue cheeses go.  I'd like to give this recipe a try.

I'm just about to put together a foccacia from Fine Cooking( peter reinhardt) and I wanted to see the CAH recipe, but the link if for members only. Could you PM it to me please???

The FC focaccia recipe from Peter Reinhart is incredible! My favorite of all time, the time in the fridge really makes it.

The focaccia recipe in Cuisine at Home....

A question for pierogi......how strong is the gorgonzola?

Hi Elsie !

I would classify gorgonzola as a "mid-range" bleu. At least to my palate it is. It's definately not as mild as cambazola (which is actually a mixture of camembert and gorgonzola) and I don't find it as strong as Roquefort. Probably one of the domestic gorgonzolas would be milder still.

Now a question back at you....the focaccia, is that the one topped with rosemary & sea salt? I had cut that out and its in my to be made file, but of course I didn't note the source. The style of the layout and the paper stock tells me it IS Cuisine at Home, though. If that's not the one, can you also PM me the one you're talking about? TIA !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

The focaccia recipe in Cuisine at Home....

A question for pierogi......how strong is the gorgonzola?

Hi Elsie !

I would classify gorgonzola as a "mid-range" bleu. At least to my palate it is. It's definately not as mild as cambazola (which is actually a mixture of camembert and gorgonzola) and I don't find it as strong as Roquefort. Probably one of the domestic gorgonzolas would be milder still.

Now a question back at you....the focaccia, is that the one topped with rosemary & sea salt? I had cut that out and its in my to be made file, but of course I didn't note the source. The style of the layout and the paper stock tells me it IS Cuisine at Home, though. If that's not the one, can you also PM me the one you're talking about? TIA !

Yes, the focaccia is the one with the rosemary and sea salt. I love the stuff and it freezes well. It is just so doggone easy to make. When I make it, I just mix the biga, leave it on the counter for a couple of hours and it's good to go. I have also minced the rosemary and put it right in the dough.

I will try the pasta recipe and I will make it with the gorgonzola to see what it is like. That recipe did not catch my eye inititally as I had not yet become acquainted with blue cheese. Thanks for responding.

Sometimes EVERYTHING just seems to rock in the kitchen and yesterday was such a day.  I made both of these:

Tomato Balsamic Soup

and

Honey Lime Dressing for fruit salad.

Hey Anna --

I made the tomato balsamic soup tonight! It was very good but very intense -- next time I might add a carrot or two to the roasting pan to help balance the acidity... My husband loved it and I think it would be a great start to a dinner party, served in small demitasse cups to sip...

Emily

Sometimes EVERYTHING just seems to rock in the kitchen and yesterday was such a day.  I made both of these:

Tomato Balsamic Soup

and

Honey Lime Dressing for fruit salad.

Hey Anna --

I made the tomato balsamic soup tonight! It was very good but very intense -- next time I might add a carrot or two to the roasting pan to help balance the acidity... My husband loved it and I think it would be a great start to a dinner party, served in small demitasse cups to sip...

Emily

Glad you liked it! I think tomatoes can often vary a lot in their acidity so a couple of carrots might be a good plan.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After reading your rave about the tomato and Gorgonzola pasta, I rushed over to my copy of the mag and looked it up.]

I've been following this thread from the beginning, but somehow I missed the original tomato and Gorgonzola pasta post. Could someone please help me out here?

By the way, because of you guys, I finally subscribed to the Fine Cooking website, and boy am I glad I did! So far I've made the "Cod with Mushrooms, Garlic & Vermouth" and the "Pasta with Tuna, Tomato, & Green Olives". They both were stellar, but the tuna/pasta stuff goes on my lifetime favorite list.

I love this thread.

pat w

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/