• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes That Rock: 2008

maggiethecat

On another note, Pax -- I've always wanted to make that milk braised pork loin, but have been confused -- did you strain the sauce to get out the clumps of curdled milk, or does it get served *with* the clumps?

I've made that one, think I threw the sauce in the blender, added a T. or two of flour and reheated it.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Made a new recipe, from Ina Garten, Eggplant Gratin. What I liked about the recipe was that it looked like it could be assembled one day and baked the next, which is what I did. I roasted the eggplant instead of frying, that worked well, though next time I will undercook it slightly. Once cooked entirely the first time, made the eggplant a little mushy in the final product......but wow!!! what flavor for something easy and made ahead. My entire family loved it.

Keep in mind that, though I love to cook, my work hours and fatigue at the end of the day keep me from cooking during the week. A lot of mediocre take-out is often our meals during the work week. Could be why they loved it?!?!?!

But for anyone else with similar need, this might be a great addition to the recipe box!

I have ingredients to begin marinating the chicken for Nigella's chicken and sausage bake, recommended from some here. Looking forward to that! Planning to use mostly sweet Italian sausages and just a few hot ones.

BTW, can recommend the Tomato and Gorgonzola Sauce with Pasta Shells also suggested on this thread. Made it last night for dinner with a salad. Enjoyed!

Love this thread!!!! Keep the discussion going!!!!

Donna

. . .

Nigella Lawson's chicken & sausage bake

. . .

This is definitely a keeper- easy, tasty, inexpensive and would be great for a crowd. I did the roasted garlic potatoes too! Thank you for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Gosh, so many great ideas -- not enough meals to use them in! Here's another simple stunner from Marcella Cucina:" Mashed Potatoes with Sauteed Zucchini" It's. literally, mashed potatoes mixed with butter-sauteed julienne zukes. And half a cup of grated parm. Smashing.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

. . .

Nigella Lawson's chicken & sausage bake

. . .

This is definitely a keeper- easy, tasty, inexpensive and would be great for a crowd. I did the roasted garlic potatoes too! Thank you for sharing.

Oh good Anna, I am so glad you liked !! I need to make this again, soon. Sooooo many recipes, soooo little time is the problem.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Gosh, so many great ideas -- not enough meals to use them in! Here's another simple stunner from Marcella Cucina:" Mashed Potatoes with Sauteed Zucchini" It's. literally, mashed potatoes mixed with butter-sauteed julienne zukes. And half a cup of grated parm. Smashing.

Cooking from Marcella's books one does find herself putting stuff in the mashed potatoes.

I remember spinach, and sauteed mushrooms and rehydrated dried wild mushrooms, and tomatoes, at different times. All good, and mind-expanding. Haven't tried the zucchini, but now I will!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Cooking from Marcella's books one does find herself putting stuff in the mashed potatoes.

I remember spinach, and sauteed mushrooms and rehydrated dried wild mushrooms, and tomatoes, at different times. All good, and mind-expanding. Haven't tried the zucchini, but now I will!

Um, mind expanding? Just exactly what kind of mushrooms were those, anyhow? :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Anna N, for the Chicken and Sausage Bake, what garlic potatoes are you talking about?

The potatoes from the same episode here. Just scroll down past the recipe for the sausage and chicken and click on the garlic roasted potatoes.

I wanted to do the peas too but had no lettuce in the house. :sad:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The Skate Grenoblaise from Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.  My first really sucessful fish dish from both a presentation and taste standpoint.  We made it again recently with halibut, meyer lemons and homemade croutons.  It just works and is simple.

I've had a fantastic experience with Bourdain's Onion Soup Les Halles. My first time making onion soup, and it was hands-down the best onion soup I've ever had (and I must confess I still had left out the bacon and replaced the port with an equal amount of Cabernet.)

I'm defrosting the leftovers for dinner tonight... after we consumed 4 servings the day I made it, I still had enough left over to fill a 1-gallon Oreo Ice Cream container. Yes, I re-use every container that comes into this house :blush:

Wow !  I can't believe how many of the recipes other's have cited I've made and also been impressed with....

Like....

Orange Chicken with Scallions from the Oct/Nov ‘07 issue of Fine Cooking

With two recommendations , the magazine in the house and all the ingredients in the refrigerator I had to make this. It was really wonderful! The whole family loved it. It was a little a more time consuming than I like since I had to double the recipe to feed my family (3 batches to cook the chicken) but it was worth it and I will be making it again.

I can't wait to try the Nigella chicken and sausage back but since I have neither in the house it is going to have to wait a bit.

I have been in a serious cooking rut for almost 2 months and this thread has brought me out of it! :biggrin:

Thanks everybody!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

So many awesome looking recipes! Wish I had more time and energy to try them all this weekend!

Sure wish I could get the recipe for those Mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Would love to try them with some steaks I plan to grill. Anyone willing to PM me their rendition?

Donna

I have been in a serious cooking rut for almost 2 months and this thread has brought me out of it! :biggrin:

Thanks everybody!

I second that. Even the most accomplished home cook can hit the wall, and fall into the rut. Sometimes it's just one new recipe that dazzles to pull you out!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

So many awesome looking recipes!  Wish I had more time and energy to try them all this weekend! 

Sure wish I could get the recipe for those Mushrooms and balsamic vinegar.  Would love to try them with some steaks I plan to grill.  Anyone willing to PM me their rendition?

Me, too, please! Mushrooms are a fav here, and oh boy, do I love a decent balsamic! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Even though it's not yet 1/2-way through April, I may.......may....just *MAY* have the Rock-Me-Out recipe for Q2 2008.

Jamie Oliver's Chile/Tomato stuffed bell peppers as discussed on this here thread on *surprise* eGulllet........Jamie O link

The instructions on the link are sorta sketchy, and after watching the replay of the show on tape, not completely correct (you DON'T roast the peppers before stuffing....).

Be that as it may, the technique/recipe is beyond anything I've ever made. Amazing, simply amazing. Let me know if you need details.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Even though it's not yet 1/2-way through April, I may.......may....just *MAY* have the Rock-Me-Out recipe for Q2 2008.

Jamie Oliver's Chile/Tomato stuffed bell peppers as discussed this here thread on *surprise* eGulllet........Jamie O link

The instructions on the link are sorta sketchy, and after watching the replay of the show on tape, not completely correct (you DON'T roast the peppers before stuffing....).

Be that as it may, the technique/recipe is beyond anything I've ever made.  Amazing, simply amazing.  Let me know if you need details.

P~

I s this the one you are using? I am still jonesing for those peppers :wink:

2 Red Peppers, halved lengthwise, deseeded and the stem left on

2 Yellow Peppers, halved lengthwise, deseeded and the stem left on

Sea Salt and Black Pepper

1 Clove garlic, peeled and sliced finely

24 Cherry Tomatoes, halved

3 Fresh Red Chillies, 2 sliced and one deseeded and finely chopped

2 Tablespoons Capers, soaked and drained

Handful black olived, pitted

A Bunch Fresh Basil, leaves picked

2 Tablespoons red or white vinegar

Extra Virgin Olive oil

Optional: 8 Sliced Pancetta or Smoked Bacon

4 Slices Sourdough Bread

4 Balls Mozzarella Cheese, torn in half

2 Handfuls Arugula

The peppers are baked at 400F, then filled witht he rest of the stuff. Served on top the bread and with the mozzarella on the side and Arugula on top.

Post# 48 from Foodman

Thx~

Kathy

dockhl---Kathy,

That'd be the one. DO not cook the peppers before stuffing. I had taped a re-run of the show, and he stuffs them raw. S&P the bell peppers. Stuff them, put the pancetta on top and cover with foil. Toss into the oven (375-400) for 15 minutes. Take the foil off. Give them another 10-15 min. Put the thin sliced mozz on top. Put the peppers on top of the toast slices & poke them through the bottom so the juices run onto the toast. Sprinkle some more very finely diced chiles over everything. The arugula is on the side (I put it under the bread), dressed very lightly with some additional olive oil, wine vinegar and S&P.

Oh. My. God.

(p.s. I did a link, ain'tcha proud?????)

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Muffinzz, Bella SF, and CaliPoutine

Thank you all for the recipe. Made it tonight with grilled steaks. Wonderful recipe. A keeper!

In the meantime, I have the chicken pieces marinating for the sage roasted chicken and sausages dish to make for dinner tomorrow. Will probably have lots of leftovers to carry me through the week (atleast I hope I will).

Now which of all the wonderful suggestions made so far should I next plan on making?

Donna

I saw the video demo at Martha's site and I'm so pumped to try this recipe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

OMG......made Nigella's Sage Roasted Chicken and Sausages tonight for dinner. Fabulous. Hope you don't mind pictures..............................

After marinating the chicken for 2 days, before baked

gallery_44782_5907_155728.jpg

After baking

gallery_44782_5907_209316.jpg

plated

gallery_44782_5907_162137.jpg

So very good. Crispy skin, tender, moist, and flavorful meat. Thank you, everyone, for the recommendation.

Donna

Donna

OMG......made Nigella's Sage Roasted Chicken and Sausages tonight for dinner.  Fabulous.  Hope you don't mind pictures..............................

After marinating the chicken for 2 days, before baked

gallery_44782_5907_155728.jpg

After baking

gallery_44782_5907_209316.jpg

plated

gallery_44782_5907_162137.jpg

So very good.  Crispy skin, tender, moist, and flavorful meat.  Thank you, everyone, for the recommendation.

Donna

Based on these reccomendations, I included this dish in an upcoming catering event menu for 60-90 ppl.

Wish me luck!!

Last night another good one from Martha's French Chef show that aired on my b.d., this time an Eric Ripert, Braised Halibut and Peas a la Francaise.

Beautiful halibut from Costco (a great source for halibut in season), farmer's market white onions and red-and-green butter lettuce, double-smoked bacon from the German sausage guy, mint from the garden. Trader Joe's froz little peas. Water rather than chicken stock. In one pan rather than the individual casseroles Eric Ripert used, but I can see his point -- the fish could cook peacefully undisturbed in each.

Excellent! And superfast, incl. prep WAY under an hour, and would have been faster except Ivan was pouring this Morro Bay chardonnay.

One more from that show on deck, Daniel Boulud's salmon dish, if we get any wild salmon at all this year.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter