• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perennial

As someone who only heard of, but never actually experienced Ryan Poli's cooking at Butter (in Chicago), I'm very excited to hear about his new position at Perennial.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 8 months later...

I have eaten twice at "Perennial" already. It is a large space on Lincoln Park. I will post later but I can only say that I would be very surprised if "Perennial" does not become a very hot spot in Chicago. The dishes sampled were from a 'Chestnut soup," "Corn Risotto," "Porkbelly," a great charcuterie plate, great desserts (chocolate with olive oil, a funky yet very tasty Ille Flottante, an out of this world chocolate concoction reminiscent of "Celler").

Very good food at very affordable prices. A new favorite for me.

l

I dined here last time I was in town over the July 4th weekend, along with visits to Graham Elliot and The Violet Hour. Perennial was my favorite by a hair, simply because of the pricing. The food at Perennial and GE were spot on, but Perennial came in about $50 cheaper than GE for three people. I remember having a short rib canneloni, scallops, and the spanish inspired chocolate dessert and loved them.

GE was good, too, and also not expensive. for the three of us, $180 w/ wine was not a huge bill considering the amount of effort and quality in the dishes there. Perennial was a little bit tamer in whimsy but quality was pretty much the same. A nice cap to the weekend was The Violet Hour, which I found very cheap for the experience, $10 cocktails which is damn near free to me lately.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC